Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #454
View in linear mode

Subject: "Which ISO?" Previous topic | Next topic
wblink Registered since 09th Feb 2009Sat 10-Dec-11 02:32 PM
255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Which ISO?"
Sat 10-Dec-11 02:34 PM by wblink

Gendt, NL

Hi,

Which highest ISO do you use to avoid noise?

Willem

Sony Nex-7

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Which ISO?
HeavyDuty
10th Dec 2011
bclaff Silver Member
10th Dec 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
11th Dec 2011
bclaff Silver Member
11th Dec 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
11th Dec 2011
bclaff Silver Member
11th Dec 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
12th Dec 2011
wblink
12th Dec 2011
wblink
12th Dec 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
13th Dec 2011
wblink
13th Dec 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
13th Dec 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
17th Dec 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
17th Dec 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
24th Dec 2011
bclaff Silver Member
24th Dec 2011

HeavyDuty Registered since 23rd Nov 2011Sat 10-Dec-11 06:13 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Which ISO?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I'm completely comfortable up to 800 at all times. One nice thing I've found about my V1 is what little noise there is looks very film-like.

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004Sat 10-Dec-11 08:08 PM
9681 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Which ISO?"
In response to Reply # 0

Vancouver (WA USA not Canada), US

Willem,

Noise will always be the least apparent with the lowest ISO.
But shooting at the lowest ISO is not always possible.
In any case, depending on your image size and viewing distance; you can use higher ISO values and not see any difference.
So the highest ISO at which you get reasonable pictures is ultimately your decision.

Bill

Visit me at My site

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSun 11-Dec-11 03:52 PM
3155 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Which ISO?"
In response to Reply # 2

Monterey Bay, US

I shoot everything at AutoISO 3200.
I do not find the noise that objectionable except in really low indoor light.
Like others, I wish they had an AutoISO 1600
It would also be nice if the actual ISO being used by the camera were displayed instead of A3200

Unfortunately, this kind of firmware update is unlikely as Nikon usually only fixes things and does not add functionality.
So we will probably have to wait for the V1s or V2.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004Sun 11-Dec-11 04:25 PM
9681 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Which ISO?"
In response to Reply # 3

Roger,

What are the typical ISO values of the images you kept and liked?

What size of prints are you making?

I wish they had an AutoISO 1600

So I gather your top ISO is over ISO 800 and lower than ISO 3200.

It would also be nice if the actual ISO being used by the camera were displayed instead of A3200

Yes, other some Nikon DSLRs show the value that is about to be used when you half press the shutter release.

Bill

Visit me at My site

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSun 11-Dec-11 04:32 PM
3155 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Which ISO?"
In response to Reply # 4

Monterey Bay, US

I have taken so few stills that I cannot really say, but
I have no noticeable noise at ISO 500 so far.
One thing I did notice is that the higher ISO pictures are brighter so I have to use a negative EV like -.07

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004Sun 11-Dec-11 05:05 PM
#6. "RE: Which ISO?"
In response to Reply # 5

Roger,

I did notice is that the higher ISO pictures are brighter so I have to use a negative EV like -.07

Interesting.
I suspect the subject matter and scene contributed more to the effect than the camera.

Regards,
Bill

Visit me at My site

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberMon 12-Dec-11 03:12 AM
#7. "RE: Which ISO?"
In response to Reply # 6
Mon 12-Dec-11 03:20 AM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

>Roger,
>
>I did notice is that the higher ISO
>pictures are brighter so I have to use a negative EV like
>-.07

>
>Interesting.
>I suspect the subject matter and scene contributed more to the
>effect than the camera.
>
>Regards,
>Bill
>
Reply: Perhaps I need to set my custom Picture Control to a darker setting?
I had to use a -0.67 EV when hiking in bright light (ISO 100) yesterday and again today when I took a picture and VideoGraphed our Church Service at ISO 700.

wblink Registered since 09th Feb 2009Mon 12-Dec-11 11:02 PM
255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Which ISO?"
In response to Reply # 4

Gendt, NL

>Roger,
>
>What are the typical ISO values of the images you kept and
>liked?
>
>What size of prints are you making?
>
>I wish they had an AutoISO 1600
>
>So I gather your top ISO is over ISO 800 and lower than ISO
>3200.
>
>It would also be nice if the actual ISO
>being used by the camera were displayed instead of
>A3200

>
>Yes, other some Nikon DSLRs show the value that is about to be
>used when you half press the shutter release.
>
>
>Bill

Bill, what are YOUR settings and size of prints?

Willem

Sony Nex-7

wblink Registered since 09th Feb 2009Mon 12-Dec-11 11:00 PM
#8. "RE: Which ISO?"
In response to Reply # 3

Gendt, NL

>Like others, I wish they had an AutoISO 1600
>It would also be nice if the actual ISO being used by the
>camera were displayed instead of A3200
>
>Unfortunately, this kind of firmware update is unlikely as
>Nikon usually only fixes things and does not add
>functionality.
>So we will probably have to wait for the V1s or V2.

Ahh, now I see, I did think setting the iso was the max, which it s
is NOT. Auto-iso 800 and then 3200: strange.
Let's all call and write Nikon ....

But iso 3200 is ok? With that small sensor? I will get some picture next week, have some free time.

Willem

Sony Nex-7

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberTue 13-Dec-11 02:16 AM
#10. "RE: Which ISO?"
In response to Reply # 8
Tue 13-Dec-11 02:19 AM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

>
>But iso 3200 is ok? With that small sensor? I will get some
>picture next week, have some free time.

ISO 3200 can be OK some of the time.
It is never good when you needed ISO 6400 instead.
The moire does not look as bad in real low light as the colors, but
I think it is because you can not see it thru the premeivel soup.

The HI setting on my D5100 usually gives me better pictures than 3200 on the V1.

wblink Registered since 09th Feb 2009Tue 13-Dec-11 01:04 PM
#11. "RE: Which ISO?"
In response to Reply # 10

Gendt, NL

>>But iso 3200 is ok? With that small sensor? I will get
>some

>ISO 3200 can be OK some of the time.

>The HI setting on my D5100 usually gives me better pictures
>than 3200 on the V1.

I used to have a D3X and NEVER went higher than iso800. Ik was a magical border for me. I would like some magical border (for me) with de V1.

Differences is dat cropping won't be used as much as with the D3X and I don't expect POSTER format prints from the V1.

Willem

Sony Nex-7

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberTue 13-Dec-11 07:13 PM
#12. "RE: Which ISO?"
In response to Reply # 11

Monterey Bay, US

>
>I used to have a D3X and NEVER went higher than iso800. Ik was
>a magical border for me. I would like some magical border (for
>me) with de V1.
>
>Differences is dat cropping won't be used as much as with the
>D3X and I don't expect POSTER format prints from the V1.

Coming from a D3x, I doubt if you will want to shoot the V1 above 800 ISO.
And the image quality will not even compare to the D3x in DX mode. but
if you want portable and want to "capture the moment" the V1 will come thru for you.

Frankly, I bought the V1 for Video, I am surprised how good the stills are.
Check my Gallery under Garrapata Creek.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 17-Dec-11 01:33 PM
4258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Which ISO?"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

Thom says ISO 400 for serious shooters. He has a J1 review up on his new website www.sansmirror.com. I'm guessing we will see a V1 review up next week.

Like Roger, I have been shooting more video than stills with my V1. I've been shooting the video at ISO1600 inside dimly lit theatres and I like it. ISO3200 video is a bit of a stretch with some noticeable grain. Distractingly, grain in the background of a video "moves" since you are looking at 30fps.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 17-Dec-11 02:27 PM
#14. "RE: Which ISO?"
In response to Reply # 13

Monterey Bay, US

>
>Like Roger, I have been shooting more video than stills with
>my V1. I've been shooting the video at ISO1600 inside dimly
>lit theaters and I like it. ISO3200 video is a bit of a
>stretch with some noticeable grain. Distractingly, grain in
>the background of a video "moves" since you are
>looking at 30fps.
>
>Best regards, SteveK
>
Moves?
Perhaps that explains the shadowy phenomenon that I experienced at my last playback.
It hardly shows on MOV files but is very apparent when creating a single DVD for TV from 12GB of clips.

I also have an Orange color cast problem when trying to shoot ISO 3200 indoors.

Perhaps Nikon will consider the absence of Auto ISO 1600 a defect and add it to the next firmware fix.
That and a way to display the actual ISO you are using while shooting a Video.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 24-Dec-11 06:05 PM
4258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Which ISO?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 24-Dec-11 06:09 PM by KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA

Here are some high ISO photos with the V1 after post-processing. I had to do some significant noise reduction (Capture NX2 13, 6) but that was also due to me needing to boost exposure half a stop in post plus I applied some significant sharpening (55,5,4).

So basically these are a worst case nightmare scenario:
- large flat tan surfaces (large flat mid-tone surfaces provoke noise like no other);
- low light;
- high ISO;
- VR worked well BTW;
- vignetting correction applied in post;
- most images cropped;
- inadvertently underexposed and then boosted 1/2 stop in post;
- heavily sharpened (55,5,4). I wanted these very sharp for my brother-in-laws use, but I could have stayed much more moderate and the noise would have been better than shown.
Given these images "perfect storm", they came out fairly acceptably I think, but you can judge for yourself.

So far am remaining overall very happy with my V1. I don't really want to shoot the V1 above 1600 if I can avoid it, but in a pinch like these quick grab shots were (this light was GONE about a minute later), they can do the job (especially with the non-photographer public in mind) - you can click on each photo to link to larger sized photos:

ISO 2200 and cropped fairly heavily:

ISO 3200:

ISO 3200:

ISO 3200:

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004Sat 24-Dec-11 09:17 PM
#16. "RE: Which ISO?"
In response to Reply # 15

Steve,

My comments are not so much directed at you as to those who might misinterpret your post.

- large flat tan surfaces (large flat mid-tone surfaces provoke noise like no other);

Noise is not "provoked", I suspect you meant "more apparent".
Areas with a constant hue do make noise more apparent.
I think one could make a good case for blue, such as a cloudless sky, as making noise the most apparent.

- low light;
- high ISO;

These are inter-related, right?
In low light situations we have to resort to high ISO.
Or by choosing high ISO we limit the amount of light collected by the camera.

Noise is in the image. The less light that is collected, the more apparent the noise.
The noise in the image is made somewhat worse by the camera electronics.
The more we turn up the ISO, the more apparent the noise.
But mostly it's the first effect, low light and not capturing enough light; rather than the second effect, higher ISO; that makes noise more apparent in the final image.

You present a real world example with noise reduction and sharpening applied.
And I think that's great because in the end that is what it's all about.
On the other hand, this type of example obscures the underlying raw (pun intended) ability of the camera.
(Not everyone with the same camera has the same post processing tools available to them or is equally skilled with those tools.)
In one post it's hard to have it both ways!

Regards,
Bill

Visit me at My site

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #454 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.