Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #40
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon 1" Previous topic | Next topic
davidd1833 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Feb 2006Wed 21-Sep-11 04:46 AM
428 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon 1"

Sydney, AU

http://mynikonlife.com.au/gear/nikon-1

Just arrived in my mailbox. 2:42pm AEST.

Discuss.....

David

My Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon 1
robcran Silver Member
21st Sep 2011
tommiejeep Silver Member
21st Sep 2011
MelT
21st Sep 2011
nrothschild Silver Member
21st Sep 2011
tommiejeep Silver Member
22nd Sep 2011
MelT
21st Sep 2011
Reply message RE: Nikon 1 - New features in tech specs
ericbowles Moderator
21st Sep 2011
Reply message RE: Nikon 1 - New features in tech specs
rickpaul Silver Member
21st Sep 2011
pdekman Gold Member
21st Sep 2011
simulacrum
21st Sep 2011
rickpaul Silver Member
21st Sep 2011
simulacrum
21st Sep 2011
pdekman Gold Member
21st Sep 2011
kkjensen
22nd Sep 2011
Floridian Silver Member
21st Sep 2011
pjr Gold Member
21st Sep 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
29th Oct 2011
rectangularimage Silver Member
21st Sep 2011
ericbowles Moderator
21st Sep 2011
dm1dave Administrator
21st Sep 2011
snegron Silver Member
22nd Sep 2011
blw Moderator
22nd Sep 2011
snegron Silver Member
24th Sep 2011
JonK Moderator
22nd Sep 2011
22nd Sep 2011
ChrisPlatt
22nd Oct 2011
kkjensen
22nd Sep 2011
22nd Sep 2011
rickpaul Silver Member
23rd Sep 2011
23rd Sep 2011
Floridian Silver Member
23rd Sep 2011
bjj Silver Member
23rd Oct 2011
briantilley Moderator
23rd Oct 2011
Floridian Silver Member
24th Oct 2011
23rd Sep 2011
snegron Silver Member
23rd Sep 2011
Reply message Interview w/ Nikon's GM of R&D
23rd Sep 2011
Reply message RE: Interview w/ Nikon's GM of R&D
ericbowles Moderator
24th Sep 2011
rickpaul Silver Member
25th Sep 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
26th Sep 2011

robcran Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Wed 21-Sep-11 05:41 AM
812 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon 1"
In response to Reply # 0

Westleigh, AU

Hmmm! White lenses. Wonder if white is the only body colour for the J1? Not a lot of speci data yet. We await with baited breath.
Robert
Sydney Nikonian

tommiejeep Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2008Wed 21-Sep-11 06:21 AM
4439 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon 1"
In response to Reply # 1

Goa, IN

J1 comes in 5 colours My wife will want one
http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Nikon-1-Cameras/index.page
Time for a new Forum...more questions than answers and did Nikon get it right?
Cheers,
Tom

Manuel Sousa - alias... T.D.Hardin
http://taja.smugmug.com/
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/165169

MelT Registered since 06th Jul 2002Wed 21-Sep-11 06:43 AM
4608 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon 1"
In response to Reply # 2

Petersburg, US

I tell you this. It will be interesting how well the F mount adapter actually works and how good the 3200 ISO is in reality. The video is interesting as well. I for one will be looking at this closely.

Mel

An Opinionated Old Curmudgeon from Virginia

Website - www.meltalley.com
Blog - http://blog.meltalley.com
Facebook - www.facebook.com/mel.talley
Twitter - @meltalley

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Wed 21-Sep-11 07:08 PM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Nikon 1"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Tom,

Just be happy if your wife doesn't want three...

White for summer use. A nice fall color for after labor day and a green and red one for Christmas

Hope all is well

my Nikonians gallery.

tommiejeep Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2008Thu 22-Sep-11 02:46 AM
4439 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Nikon 1"
In response to Reply # 16

Goa, IN

Hi Neil, long time.
My wife is from Liverpool and in Liverpool the have an expression "I want doesn't get" (my son hears that often enough .

I think red to match her red Markins might do it (not that there is much connection on using the J1 on her tripod but matching accessories.

I am with Thom on this one...with the advances Nikon has put in the camera(we'll see) why no Wi-Fi. My wife shoots her D90 much more now days but uses her Facebook a lot so uses the camera in her Samsung Pad constantly (trust me she is not a kid!)

It appears that the cancer thing is in the past so now just the ever-present aging thingy ...life is good. Enjoying learning to shoot my son's sports career. Using the 500vr has made me work on monopod use, but not quite there!

I trust you and yours are well. Heck your 'little' granddaughter is probably in school!
Cheers,
Tom

Manuel Sousa - alias... T.D.Hardin
http://taja.smugmug.com/
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/165169

MelT Registered since 06th Jul 2002Wed 21-Sep-11 06:29 AM
4608 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon 1"
In response to Reply # 0

Petersburg, US

Pretty cool.

Mel

An Opinionated Old Curmudgeon from Virginia

Website - www.meltalley.com
Blog - http://blog.meltalley.com
Facebook - www.facebook.com/mel.talley
Twitter - @meltalley

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Wed 21-Sep-11 11:54 AM
8695 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon 1 - New features in tech specs"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Looks like there are a number of new features in the technical specs for the Nikon 1.

New crop factor - 2.7 times - wonder how this translates to the F mount.

10 mega pixel images with a tiny sensor - this implies a very small pixel pitch but they have managed to control noise at high ISO levels. This suggests a major step forward in high ISO performance. In other high ISO cameras the step forward was achieved with a larger pixel.

12 bit RAW only - no 14 bit?

LCD viewfinder with Eye sensor - WYSIWYG

Up to 60 FPS / 1200 FPS slow motion movie mode - sounds really interesting even though the image size is small.

135 AF points

AF-A and AF-F - what's Full Time Servo?

There are lots of things to think about with this camera. Many of the new features translate well to the next FX and DX bodies.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

rickpaul Silver Member Charter MemberWed 21-Sep-11 12:46 PM
1807 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon 1 - New features in tech specs"
In response to Reply # 5

Tucson, US

They have done some interesting things.

My thoughts are while I like the simplicity of the design, I'm thinking any modes other than full auto will be slow to operate. May be Aperature Priority won't be too bad, but I can't imagine how you control it in Manual until I see it.

I like the new SB-N5 speedlite. Nice that made it able to swivel for bounce.

Sounds like the image quality from the sensor will be good, but I will want to see some real world results.

I've been looking for a vacation "DisneyWorld" camera for a while, and holding out until this was announced. We'll see, but I just might pull the trigger on this one...

P.S. Wonder how well it work converted to IR...!

--------------------------
Rick Paul
The Photo Professors

Saguaro Shadows Photography
Tucson, Arizona

My Nikonians Gallery

My Nikonians Blog

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Wed 21-Sep-11 01:23 PM
1033 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon 1"
In response to Reply # 0

Swisher, US

Interesting. I've held off from purchasing a small vacation/travel camera, waiting for that right balance of small, good image quality, and camera control. 10MP/12-bit NEF would suffice for me if the quality is there at 800ISO or so.

I think I would prefer an attached, retractable lens to keep the size to a minimum, but will certainly give this one a look.

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

simulacrum Registered since 18th May 2010Wed 21-Sep-11 01:43 PM
313 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Nikon 1"
In response to Reply # 0

DE

I'm wondering why Nikon didn't join micro-Four-Thirds. As far as I can see the Nikon 1 has no unique selling point (high speed is already available). Agreements with other companies?
Does anyone have a clue?

Verena

Visit my Nikonians gallery or my website.

rickpaul Silver Member Charter MemberWed 21-Sep-11 03:28 PM
1807 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Nikon 1"
In response to Reply # 8

Tucson, US

Look closer at details. The attractiveness of this system is not in the headlines but in the details.

Example is 3 stops of EV bias with 1/3 increments. Some other systems only provide 2.

Rick Paul
The Photo Professors

Tucson, Arizona

My Nikonians Gallery

My Nikonians Blog

simulacrum Registered since 18th May 2010Wed 21-Sep-11 04:33 PM
313 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Nikon 1"
In response to Reply # 9

DE

>Example is 3 stops of EV bias with 1/3 increments. Some other
>systems only provide 2.
I expect nothing less in a camera that wants to be a tool, not a toy. The Panasonic GH2 provides 5 stops at 1/3.

The high speed features are taken from Casio - interesting but nothing new.

Seems like the interesting part is yet to come:
http://www.photographyblog.com/news/nikon_1_future_hands-on_photos/

If it doesn't blow me away I stick to my mFT system (besides Nikon FX, of course).

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Wed 21-Sep-11 03:28 PM
1033 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Nikon 1"
In response to Reply # 8

Swisher, US

Thom Hogan has been analyzing/speculating on this for some time. Here's his latest since the announcement.
http://www.bythom.com/

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

kkjensen Registered since 28th Feb 2009Thu 22-Sep-11 02:20 PM
159 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Nikon 1"
In response to Reply # 8

Chateauguay, CA

Phase detect autofocus. (I wonder how they did this without a translucent mirror)

The adapter to fit our regular f-mount lenses is also supposed to be available.

Kristofor

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Wed 21-Sep-11 03:39 PM
2729 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Nikon 1"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 21-Sep-11 03:48 PM by Floridian

Tallahassee, Florida, US

The V1 looks more interesting to me than the J1, because of the electronic viewfinder. It will be interesting to see how usable it is. I'm not quite ready to give up my viewfinder and frame all my shots by looking at an LCD on the back of the camera.

Randy

pjr Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2005Wed 21-Sep-11 04:24 PM
2244 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Nikon 1"
In response to Reply # 0

Manotick, CA

I have to say that I'm very disappointed in what Nikon is offering in mirrorless.

I was hoping for at least a micro-4/3rds sized sensor, or, preferably, an APS-C sized sensor; a camera similar to the Fujifilm X100, only much better in every way.

I think photographers wanting a small camera will be much better off with the Olympus EP-3 or even Sony NEX-7, as I can't see such a small sensor delivering the goods.

Phil
A Canadian Nikonian
My portfolio: www.pjr99.500px.com

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 29-Oct-11 02:18 PM
3170 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#41. "RE: Nikon 1"
In response to Reply # 12

Monterey Bay, US

Quote>I have to say that I'm very disappointed in what Nikon is
>offering in mirrorless.
>
>I was hoping for at least a micro-4/3rds sized sensor, or,
>preferably, an APS-C sized sensor; a camera similar to the
>Fujifilm X100, only much better in every way.
>Quote

It took 4 years to develop this camera, but I expect an upgrade much sooner.
Not sure if a APS-C sensor would even fit?
I think they intend to keep this unique Sensor size (2.7x) for a long while.
There will be 7 more lens available soon that will probably not even work properly with a larger sensor.

If the best of the new technology can be put in a DX D3200 or D5200 it should sell well.

rectangularimage Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Oct 2009Wed 21-Sep-11 04:38 PM
1115 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Nikon 1"
In response to Reply # 0

San Diego, US

So the fastest lens is the 10mm f/2.8. With a 2.7 crop factor, that's a lot of DOF, hence little subject isolation.

Interesting contrast with the new Fuji mirrorlesses. They (Nikons) seem less targeted at traditional photo enthusiasts and more towards a new kind of enthusiast that's less into manual adjustments and more into video and will see the burst mode (60 FPS!!!) as interesting.

Was it ZoneV Al that was predicting a couple years ago that the future of photography might be capturing video burst and picking the "decisive moment" out of that sequence?
Gonna need new software and workflows (and disk and RAM) to deal with the massive number of images produced by this technique.

...Mike

My website | My Nikonians gallery

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Wed 21-Sep-11 05:33 PM
8695 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Nikon 1"
In response to Reply # 14

Atlanta, US

Yes - but try that 600 f/4 with the 2.0 teleconverter and the 2.7 crop factor and you can see Hawaii.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Wed 21-Sep-11 11:05 PM
11501 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Nikon 1"
In response to Reply # 15
Wed 21-Sep-11 11:05 PM by dm1dave

Lowden, US

What would that little body look like mounted to that big gun!

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

snegron Silver Member Nikonian since 05th May 2007Thu 22-Sep-11 02:17 AM
1535 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Nikon 1"
In response to Reply # 17

Cape Coral, Florida, US

I hate to be the scrooge on this one, but at best my reaction is mehh. I was hoping for something that would blow away the competition in IQ, ergonomics and build quality. Looks like Panasonic is still the top player in this field.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 22-Sep-11 08:01 AM
26720 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#21. "RE: Nikon 1"
In response to Reply # 18

Richmond, US

> I was hoping for something that would blow away the competition in IQ, ergonomics and build quality. Looks like Panasonic is still the top player in this field.

How do we know?

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

snegron Silver Member Nikonian since 05th May 2007Sat 24-Sep-11 03:02 PM
1535 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: Nikon 1"
In response to Reply # 21

Cape Coral, Florida, US

I just viewed some image samples on dpreview. Looks to my like the NR is washing out details as it did with my (former) Olympus EPL2.

I don't understand why Nikon couldn't place a DX sensor in this new series of cameras? Size has nothing to do with it as this new mirrorless system has less components than a DSLR (mirror, optical viewfinder, top LCD, less exterior function buttons, etc.).

Nikon has had the technology to produce this type of camera for years but has chosen not to do so.

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Thu 22-Sep-11 05:52 PM
4700 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Nikon 1"

New York, US

It would be a rectangular lens cap.

OTOH, with a 2x converter he'd have a 3240mm optical system — and no mirror slap to contend with!

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Thu 22-Sep-11 08:03 PM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Nikon 1"
In response to Reply # 24

US

>> OTOH, with a 2x converter he'd have a 3240mm optical system — and no mirror slap to contend with!

That's the good news.

The bad news is that in order to take full advantage of the pixels (resolve lines one pixel wide) the lens must deliver the equivalent of 144 LPPM. For comparison a D300 needs about 88 LPPM.

But it gets worse . The theoretical diffraction limit is about f/5 - f/5.2, or thereabouts. There is a reason the 1 lenses only go to f/11 or f/16 instead of the traditional f/22. Rumor has it the Nikon engineers designed the lenses to go to f/8. The marketing dept added f/11 and f/16.

The lens with TC has to start at f/8, over one stop past the ideal minimum focal ratio. But only TC20E-III's purchased by well traffic-ed internet reviewers are razor sharp wide open. The rest of us get TC's that need to be stopped down (*).

And it gets even worse . As you stop down to make the lens diffraction limited (a tall order indeed with a 2x TC) it is softening much faster. By f/11 it will look like your D300 images look when stopped down to about f/16 to f/22.

Other than those minor inconveniences it should certainly be possible to photograph Warblers in Hawaii - while shooting from the coastal cliffs in LA - and get that nice sharp feather detail

I mention this just in case someone gets the idea of buying a 600/4 and a 1 to get that 3200mm. I am sure, though, that someone here with a 600 already will pop for a 1 just to test the numbers

(*) - That may just be another vicious unfounded internet rumor but the concept was seriously debated here in the not too distant past.

my Nikonians gallery.

ChrisPlatt Registered since 04th Jun 2011Sat 22-Oct-11 01:32 PM
515 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#37. "RE: Nikon 1"

US

It would probably look the same as my GF1 mounted on my 800mm - very cool.

Visit my gallery.

kkjensen Registered since 28th Feb 2009Thu 22-Sep-11 02:22 PM
159 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Nikon 1"
In response to Reply # 15

Chateauguay, CA

You could fit the body into the lens case still attached!

Kristofor

rectangularimage Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Oct 2009Thu 22-Sep-11 06:12 PM
1115 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Nikon 1"
In response to Reply # 0

San Diego, US

Nikon seems to be taking a beating on this around the web. The Online Photographer, in this article had a funny aside:

Canon, for its part, must be a little like a guy who has been following another guy across a minefield—right after the first guy got blown up. Hmm, what's the next step now?

...Mike

rickpaul Silver Member Charter MemberFri 23-Sep-11 02:24 PM
#27. "RE: Nikon 1"
In response to Reply # 25

Tucson, US

I'm starting to see more sane reviews on the web. Sane in that almost no one has been able to touch one yet. Those who have said the build quality was excellent.

Everyone has to remember this is the start of something, not an end point. This is the beginning of a new system. Nikon made that clear.

Rick Paul
The Photo Professors

Tucson, Arizona

My Nikonians Gallery

My Nikonians Blog

rectangularimage Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Oct 2009Fri 23-Sep-11 03:22 PM
#28. "RE: Nikon 1"
In response to Reply # 27

San Diego, US

>I'm starting to see more sane reviews on the web. Sane in
>that almost no one has been able to touch one yet. Those who
>have said the build quality was excellent.
>
>Everyone has to remember this is the start of something, not
>an end point. This is the beginning of a new system. Nikon
>made that clear.
>
Granted what's mostly being reviewed at this point is specs and pictures, and the specs don't review well by traditional reviewers (small sensor, slow lenses, lack of manual controls, price, etc.).

I think the target market for this camera is either beginners or a new generation of camera buyers that's more interested the video capabilities, and not so much us more traditional camera gear heads. Most of the reviewers I read are more of the traditional gear head mentality so it's no surprise that they're not crazy about the specs.

...Mike

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Fri 23-Sep-11 03:34 PM
2729 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: Nikon 1"
In response to Reply # 28

Tallahassee, Florida, US

>...I think the target market for this camera is either beginners
>or a new generation of camera buyers that's more interested
>the video capabilities...

A possibility down the road is that Nikon will make a camera more designed for photo enthusiasts that will use the same set of lenses. At this stage, for someone really interested in good-quality photos a D3100 would cost less and do a better job.

Randy

bjj Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2009Sun 23-Oct-11 07:03 PM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#38. "RE: Nikon 1"
In response to Reply # 29

Ryde. Isle of Wight, GB

Basing your assumption on what?

All the best Brian

If in doubt shoot it! There will never be a second chance.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 23-Oct-11 07:23 PM
29026 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#39. "RE: Nikon 1"
In response to Reply # 38

Paignton, GB

>Basing your assumption on what?

I can't answer for Randy - and I have no inside knowledge - but it's logical that Nikon might want to maximise their investment in this new system by extending the range upwards (and downwards...?) with other bodies in the future.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Mon 24-Oct-11 05:46 PM
#40. "RE: Nikon 1"
In response to Reply # 38

Tallahassee, Florida, US

>Basing your assumption on what?

Brian answered along the lines I was thinking when I posted that. I wasn't assuming they'd introduce something like this, but hoping. With the new lens mount, they could broaden their offering to include cameras (and lenses) targeted more toward DSLR shooters who want a smaller package, rather than point-and-shooters who want interchangeable lenses.

I'd like something more portable than my DSLR, but everything on the market right now appears to have more compromises than I'd like. The new Sony NEX-7 looks to me like the best DSLR alternative right now.

Randy

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Fri 23-Sep-11 03:35 PM
#30. "RE: Nikon 1"
In response to Reply # 28

US

My recollection is that every announcement day review of every Nikon camera made in the past 7 years has declared the camera a dismal failure . Especially something new and different verses an evolution of an existing body.

Those reviews are usually forgotten by the time people get them in their hands and actually find them useful

my Nikonians gallery.

snegron Silver Member Nikonian since 05th May 2007Fri 23-Sep-11 06:49 PM
#31. "RE: Nikon 1"
In response to Reply # 30

Cape Coral, Florida, US

>My recollection is that every announcement day review of
>every Nikon camera made in the past 7 years has declared the
>camera a dismal failure . Especially something new and
>different verses an evolution of an existing body.
>
>Those reviews are usually forgotten by the time people get
>them in their hands and actually find them useful

Except for pretty much the entire Coolpix line.

rectangularimage Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Oct 2009Fri 23-Sep-11 08:39 PM
#32. "Interview w/ Nikon's GM of R&D"
In response to Reply # 0

San Diego, US

http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1316730752.html

talking about Nikon 1. Seems one goal was compact size. He says there's lots of processing power in the camera for fast autofocus and that burst mode.

...Mike

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sat 24-Sep-11 01:54 AM
#33. "RE: Interview w/ Nikon's GM of R&D"
In response to Reply # 32

Atlanta, US

Very interesting - 5 times faster write speed and twice the data channels.

While clearly positioned as an upgrade to the Coolpix user, the features or this camera are good enough to make a DSLR user look forward to the next model releases.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

rickpaul Silver Member Charter MemberSun 25-Sep-11 02:59 AM
#35. "RE: Interview w/ Nikon's GM of R&D"
In response to Reply # 33

Tucson, US

Agree! Take the specs on the V1, and extrapolate to the D4!

I think the D4 is going to be worth the wait!

Rick Paul
The Photo Professors

Tucson, Arizona

My Nikonians Gallery

My Nikonians Blog

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Mon 26-Sep-11 06:21 AM
4281 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#36. "RE: Interview w/ Nikon's GM of R&D"
In response to Reply # 35

Alberta, CA

>Agree! Take the specs on the V1, and extrapolate to the D4!
>
>I think the D4 is going to be worth the wait!
>
>

I agree. There are several facets in the Nikon 1, that extrapolated, could allow the D4 to significantly outdistance my previous expectations. Hopefully we shall see in the next few months about that!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #40 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.