Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #383
View in linear mode

Subject: "Night Sky Long Exposures on V1" Previous topic | Next topic
david_mathre Platinum Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2006Fri 02-Dec-11 01:19 PM
530 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Night Sky Long Exposures on V1"

Skillman, US

Has anyone figured out how to get exposures longer than 30 seconds, or 2 minutes if you use the ML-L3 remote? I'm trying to shoot star trails and need longer exposure times.

DJM

"Images of the Day" PhotoBlog
My Nikonians Gallery
ShepArtPhotography Gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004Sat 03-Dec-11 12:29 AM
9681 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Night Sky Long Exposures on V1"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 03-Dec-11 01:44 AM by bclaff

Vancouver (WA USA not Canada), US

David,

Check out "Bulb" or "Time" which is available in Manual mode.
See page 116 of the Reference Manual.

Oops. 2 minutes appears to be the maximum!

Bill

Visit me at My site

david_mathre Platinum Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2006Sat 03-Dec-11 01:46 AM
530 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Night Sky Long Exposures on V1"
In response to Reply # 1

Skillman, US

That is what I was trying. Unfortunately, when you go to the bottom of page 118 it states "Shooting ends automatically after two minutes".

DJM

My Nikonians Gallery

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004Sat 03-Dec-11 01:53 AM
9681 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Night Sky Long Exposures on V1"
In response to Reply # 2

Vancouver (WA USA not Canada), US

David,

I guess you could take consecutive exposures at "stack" them.

Bill

Visit me at My site

david_mathre Platinum Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2006Sat 03-Dec-11 02:16 AM
#4. "RE: Night Sky Long Exposures on V1"
In response to Reply # 3

Skillman, US

I also tried that. Initially using 30 sec exposure and the "Interval timer shooting" mode. The problem is that the cameara takes a long time to save each image and I would have to set the interval to 40 seconds. I also was in "Continous" mode -- with the hope that the first image would be held in buffer. Unfortunately, when I set the interval timer to 30 (or 31) seconds, the next image would wait until the next interval. I kept increasing the interval time, and finally at 40 seconds the next image started right after the first image was stored.

DJM

My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #383 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.