Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #376
View in linear mode

Subject: "How does V1 compare to P7100?" Previous topic | Next topic
jerry r Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2008Thu 01-Dec-11 05:00 AM
700 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"How does V1 compare to P7100?"
Thu 01-Dec-11 04:03 PM by jerry r

Banning, US

We normally shoot with D300's and D7000's, but are wanting the best quality that we can get in a small camera for traveling light and for blending into the woodwork.

I have had a Nikon P5000, Canon G10 and G12 as a small travel camera. I wasn't really happy with them as far as response time for autofocus and write to card time and viewfinder view. I really hate trying to use an LCD and hold the camera at arms length to take anything other than just a snapshot.

I sold the G12 the day after I bought the V1 as the image quality on the V1 was so much better. I do miss having the bracketing capability and we want to each have a small camera.

Is the image quality (we shoot in raw and post process with CS-5) of the new P7100 up to the level of the V1 or are we better getting two V1's?

As a note I do like the V1 finder with full CX frame view and with some shooting info. I am suspect that the P7100 will view only a limited portion of the image. However, image quality is my main concern.

Edit: I just discovered that dpreview has the raw image comparisons for the G12, P7100 and V1 available. Looks like the V1 is ahead in noise and sharpness with the P7100 a fairly close second in sharpness.

Jerry

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

wblink Registered since 09th Feb 2009Thu 01-Dec-11 04:05 PM
255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: How does V1 compare to P7100?"
In response to Reply # 0

Gendt, NL

Look here: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/studiocompare.asp#baseDir=%2Freviews_data&cameraDataSubdir=boxshot&indexFileName=boxshotindex.xml&presetsFileName=boxshotpresets.xml&showDescriptions=false&headerTitle=Studio%20scene&headerSubTitle=Standard%20studio%20scene%20comparison&masterCamera=nikon_cpp7100&masterSample=dscn9964&slotsCount=4&slot0Camera=nikon_cpp7100&slot0Sample=dscn9964&slot0DisableCameraSelection=true&slot0DisableSampleSelection=true&slot0LinkWithMaster=true&slot1Camera=leica_m9&slot1Sample=l1000755&slot2Camera=nikon_d3&slot2Sample=nikond3_iso3200&slot3Camera=nikon_v1&slot3Sample=dsc_0331&x=-0.1449741797744608&y=-0.7810430731402194

Willem

Sony Nex-7

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007Thu 01-Dec-11 09:34 PM
2320 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: How does V1 compare to P7100?"
In response to Reply # 0

Bay Area, US

I've had a Canon S95 (which has the same sensor as the G12), Nikon P7000 and also tried out the P7100 in the store. The image quality is pretty much the same, not surprising since they all have the same sensor size. The V1/J1 is noticeably better in IQ and way better in handling, performance, AF speed etc.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #376 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.