nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #3203
View in linear mode

Subject: "Just picked up a V1" Previous topic | Next topic
TonyJ Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Sep 2004Tue 03-Sep-13 03:30 PM
1334 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Just picked up a V1"

Boulder, US

Hey folks,

Just picked up a V1 with the 10-30mm for just $268 shipped. It is missing the plastic accessory shoe cover, but for that price I couldn't resist any longer... It should be here in a day or two and I'm excited to finally have one to play with. Now to find an FT-1 that doesn't cost as much as the camera...

I can't wait to try it with my afs 300mm f4. I mostly wanted something that could serve as a carry around and use my lenses. It will also be nice to have the video, since Nikon left it off my D700.

Also waiting to see what Nikon announces this fall. Hoping for a hot rod DX with 24mp, a big buffer and super autofocus. I'd like it to be $1500 or so, as well. Not asking for much, eh..?

D800e l D600 l D700 l Nikon 1 V1 l N90s l AF-S 16-35 f4 l AF-S 24-85 f3.5-f4.5G VR l AF-S 70-200 f2.8G VRII l AF-S 50 f1.8G l AF-S 300 f4 l TC-14EII l TC-20EIII l 2x SB600 l Autometer IIIF.
http://tonyjohnsonphotos.com
https://www.facebook.com/tony.johnson.photography
My Nikonians Gallery

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Just picked up a V1
cockers Silver Member
03rd Sep 2013
TonyJ Silver Member
03rd Sep 2013
JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
04th Sep 2013
gbheron Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
04th Sep 2013
adcam Gold Member
04th Sep 2013
TonyJ Silver Member
04th Sep 2013
TonyJ Silver Member
07th Sep 2013
JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
07th Sep 2013
TonyJ Silver Member
07th Sep 2013
ChristianF Gold Member
09th Sep 2013
Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine
09th Sep 2013
10th Sep 2013
ChristianF Gold Member
11th Sep 2013
ChristianF Gold Member
11th Sep 2013
mjhach Silver Member
12th Sep 2013
Captain Rich Silver Member
15th Sep 2013
15th Sep 2013

cockers Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Tue 03-Sep-13 03:35 PM
4425 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Just picked up a V1"
In response to Reply # 0

Plover, US

Where did you find one ?

Al

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

TonyJ Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Sep 2004Tue 03-Sep-13 03:51 PM
1334 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Just picked up a V1"
In response to Reply # 1

Boulder, US

Ebay, used. I was watching several in the $320 - $350 range. I had made a bid on it and lost the auction. The winner bailed on the deal and I got a second chance at the great price. A bit of a gamble, but it looks clean in the pics. Don't think the seller has others...

D800e l D600 l D700 l Nikon 1 V1 l N90s l AF-S 16-35 f4 l AF-S 24-85 f3.5-f4.5G VR l AF-S 70-200 f2.8G VRII l AF-S 50 f1.8G l AF-S 300 f4 l TC-14EII l TC-20EIII l 2x SB600 l Autometer IIIF.
My Nikonians Gallery

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Wed 04-Sep-13 03:31 AM
5212 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Just picked up a V1"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

Don't bother replacing the accessory shoe cover, it won't last two days. The FT-1 with the 300mm should be interesting — a handholdable 810mm f/4. Getting the subject in the viewfinder will be a challenge (I've tried the 70-200 and that's tough enough!).

On recommendation. You may — will — discover that the mode wheel keeps slipping off of stills and onto video. I taped it with black electrician's tape.

Enjoy!

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

gbheron Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2007Wed 04-Sep-13 05:07 AM
180 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Just picked up a V1"
In response to Reply # 3

Cedar Falls, US

Good evening, Jon,

They have improved the hot shoe covers, which are much more secure. I ordered several, just in case!

Happy nikon shooting,
Randy

adcam Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2007Wed 04-Sep-13 06:11 PM
597 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Just picked up a V1"
In response to Reply # 3

Portland, US

I second this recommendation. I use gaffer tape to hold both the flash cover and the mode wheel. BTW in the still image icon you can still shoot video.

TonyJ Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Sep 2004Wed 04-Sep-13 06:43 AM
#5. "RE: Just picked up a V1"
In response to Reply # 0

Boulder, US

Thanks, guys!

My Nikonians Gallery

TonyJ Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Sep 2004Sat 07-Sep-13 01:28 AM
#7. "RE: Just picked up a V1"
In response to Reply # 0

Boulder, US

Got it in and upgraded the firmware. Seems fine so far. I like the way it feels in my hand. The dial doesn't seem too loose, but we'll see. I'll do the floss trick if necessary. Now I wish I'd already ordered the FT-1... I'll spend the few days it takes to get it in shooting with the 10-30mm. Already like the focusing. My last compact was the Nikon 5400, so this is a HUGE step up from that. Really jazzed to have something to keep with me all the time. I can't wait to get the afs 300mm f4 on this baby...

My Nikonians Gallery

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Sat 07-Sep-13 02:40 AM
5212 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Just picked up a V1"
In response to Reply # 7

New York, US

BTW, there are (at least) two add-on finger grips from third-party vendors. It really improves the hand hold!

Jon Kandel

TonyJ Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Sep 2004Sat 07-Sep-13 05:03 AM
#9. "RE: Just picked up a V1"
In response to Reply # 8

Boulder, US

Thanks, I'll check them out. It's amazing how small a bag you need for one of these. The charger is as big as the camera. Well, almost...

My Nikonians Gallery

ChristianF Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2007Mon 09-Sep-13 01:40 PM
317 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Just picked up a V1"
In response to Reply # 8

Montreal, CA

>BTW, there are (at least) two add-on finger grips from
>third-party vendors. It really improves the hand hold!
>
>Jon Kandel
>A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
>Please visit my website and critique the
>images!
>

Hello JonK, would it be possible for you to suggest a link. I would like to investigate these finger grips for my N1V1 system.

Thanks,

Christian,
www.ChristianFritschi.com

Welcome to my Gallery:

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberMon 09-Sep-13 04:39 PM
10915 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Just picked up a V1"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Christian,

Please see my Amazon Review of the Flipbac G4 - very inexpensive solution to getting a better grip on Nikon 1 cameras. I have them both mounted on my J1 and V1.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Tue 10-Sep-13 12:14 AM
#12. "RE: Just picked up a V1"
In response to Reply # 11

New York, US

My grip is from Richard Franiec and I'm very happy with it. Having not seen the Flipbac G4 I cannot comment about it directly — but I trust Armando!

Jon Kandel

ChristianF Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2007Wed 11-Sep-13 04:29 PM
317 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Just picked up a V1"
In response to Reply # 12

Montreal, CA

Thanks JonK! Looks really interesting.

Christian,

Welcome to my Gallery:

ChristianF Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2007Wed 11-Sep-13 04:28 PM
#13. "RE: Just picked up a V1"
In response to Reply # 11

Montreal, CA

Thanks for the tip Covey 22 ! Will,look into it.

Christian,

Welcome to my Gallery:

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Thu 12-Sep-13 03:57 AM
496 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Just picked up a V1"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 12-Sep-13 04:15 AM by mjhach

Simcoe, CA

Looks like Henry's Camera in Canada has them for sale new with 10-30mm or just 10mm for about $350 till end of September when they go back up to ~$600.

I just got one with 10-30mm on 2 Week trial to complement my D7000 as a "pocket" camera when I don't wont to lug around the D7000 with larger lenses.

Seems to be very good IQ and very low noise (I think), even at ISO3200 - it doesn't appear to be smeared like my CoolpixL120. That's at pixel peeping a bit at 1:1.

I like the manual focus operability for ISO, F/ and Speed unlike most P&S that allow you to select ISO and it will choose f/ and Speed.

V1 Selective focus capability #1 f/6. 3, ISO200, 1/800th

V1 Selective focus capability #2 f/6 .3, ISO200, 1/800th

V1 Selective focus capability #3 f/9.0, ISO200, 1/200th

V1 Selective focus capability #4 f/16, ISO200, 1/80th

V1 f/16, ISO200, 1/80th

V1 f/5.6, ISO3200, 1/500th

Coolpix L120 f/11.4, ISO3200, 1/160th You can see how the details are smeared compared to the above image with the V1. This is out of the camera, no magnification.

THe last three images are from the Coolpix at ISO800, 3200, 3200 and you can see how the hairs are smeared.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)
Attachment #5, (jpg file)
Attachment #6, (jpg file)
Attachment #7, (jpg file)
Attachment #8, (jpg file)
Attachment #9, (jpg file)
Attachment #10, (jpg file)

Captain Rich Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Sun 15-Sep-13 02:44 PM
1211 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Just picked up a V1"
In response to Reply # 0

Savannah, US

+1 on the Flipbac grip. I've had one on my V1 for several months, and I wouldn't be without it. I haven't bothered to put a strap on the camera, and just carry it around in my hand with this grip (the camera usually lives is a small bag, but I pull the camera out to shoot, then put it back a few minutes later). I tried one of the wrist straps, but didn't like it. I use a Nikon hand strap on my D700, but it would overwhelm the little V1, I'm afraid.

Rich

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Sun 15-Sep-13 03:38 PM
#17. "RE: Just picked up a V1"
In response to Reply # 16

New York, US

For when I use the V1, I have an Op/Tech strap collection. For $25 you get:
• The Mini-Loop is a lightweight neck strap
• The Cam Strap is a wrist strap
• The Finger Cuff is a loop for your finger.

The neck strap is fairly obvious; my wife has used it. For those like me who just hand carry, The wrist strap and finger loop are that little bit of insurance against drops.

Jon Kandel

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #3203 Previous topic | Next topic