Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #3202
View in linear mode

Subject: "Attach Hoodman Loupe to J1?" Previous topic | Next topic
cmolieri Basic MemberMon 02-Sep-13 04:04 AM
198 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Attach Hoodman Loupe to J1?"

Sun Lakes, AZ, US

I recently purchased a J1. This is my first camera without a viewfinder and I REALLY miss it. I discovered that I can use the Hoodman Loupe over the LCD as a viewfinder but it is a bit awkward trying to hold everything in place. I am wondering if anyone had figured out a way to attach the Loupe to the camera so that I don't have to try to hold it in place.

I see on their website that they have a strap for attaching the loupe to a DSLR, would it work on a J1?

cmolieri

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Attach Hoodman Loupe to J1?
Covey22 Moderator
04th Sep 2013
cmolieri
04th Sep 2013
Covey22 Moderator
04th Sep 2013
walk43 Gold Member
18th Sep 2013
cmolieri
18th Sep 2013
Snapshott Silver Member
26th Sep 2013
walk43 Gold Member
26th Sep 2013
cmolieri
26th Sep 2013
Timeshifte Gold Member
30th Sep 2013

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberWed 04-Sep-13 01:59 AM
10629 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Attach Hoodman Loupe to J1?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Strap might be too big for the J1. I hear what you're saying about the LCD, but you really should have gotten the V1 - the Loupe just seems like an awkward workaround. And the LCD is coarser than the V1's EVF.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

cmolieri Basic MemberWed 04-Sep-13 02:24 AM
198 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Attach Hoodman Loupe to J1?"
In response to Reply # 1

Sun Lakes, AZ, US

That's kind of what I thought when I looked at the strap. I was hoping there might be another option.

I agree that I should have bought the V1 instead of the J1, but...I wasn't sure I would like it so I went for the cheapest choice. I got it at Best Buy for $199.00.

I had tried several of the Coolpix models...my husband's L5 and a P7100 that on paper looked perfect...and didn't like either of them that well. I was a bit skeptical of the Nikon 1 because of that. Fortunately it seems to be the perfect fit for me when I can't or don't want to lug my D90 around.

I already told my husband that I will be upgrading it sooner rather than later.

cmolieri

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberWed 04-Sep-13 03:14 PM
10629 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Attach Hoodman Loupe to J1?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

I have both - the J1 is fine as a walk-around camera, give it some time and use and you will get used to having the LCD to compose. I actually like it for a lot of casual applications.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Wed 18-Sep-13 12:50 PM
703 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Attach Hoodman Loupe to J1?"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 18-Sep-13 12:54 PM by walk43

Pennsylvania, US

I don't have the J1 but I had the same question when I got the Hoodman for my D800. I had purchased the GSS LCD screen protector for my D800 and had the original Nikon LCD cover in my camera drawer and decided to use it to make a little Hoodman attachment for the D800 with it.

I took Velcro and cut 1/4 inch strips to go around the outside perimeter of the Nikon LCD cover. Then planned to do the same to the Hoodman. Problem was that the Hoodman has a covering on the outside of the loupe that Velcro will not stick to....but the inside is plastic and Velcro will stick to it.

I took round toothpics and cut them to the size of the 4 loupe perimeters and wrapped 1/2 inch Velcro around the toothpics for the full length of the toothpics and then used the longer side to attach the "Velcro Frame" to the inside of the Hoodman loupe.

Now when I want to use the loupe for macro work, I mount the Nikon LCD cover to the D800 and the loupe to the cover...and can take the loupe off when I want to use the viewfinder. Then when I am done with Macro work I remove the Nikon LCD cover and replace the GSS cover.

This works great for me on the D800. But I know the J1 does not have a LCD cover, so your Velcro would be stuck to your lcd all the time unless ....you come up with another solution.

Here is a pic. And you will see that I was not too particular with my Velcro cutting for my prototype. But it works and I just haven't made another one a little more professional looking. Hope it helps and gives you some ideas. There are also different types of Velcro (black and white)that are not as fuzzy as the black I use here.

PS: If you want to use a strap to hold the loupe on your J1 on just find the right sized rubber band and twist it when you put it on.... might work.

Dan
(Nikon D800 & V2)
"My most rewarding photos are those that capture something I didn't 'see' in the viewfinder....so just SHOOT."

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

cmolieri Basic MemberWed 18-Sep-13 03:04 PM
#5. "RE: Attach Hoodman Loupe to J1?"
In response to Reply # 4

Sun Lakes, AZ, US

Interesting idea. Thank you.

cmolieri

Snapshott Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Sep 2007Thu 26-Sep-13 06:41 PM
397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Attach Hoodman Loupe to J1?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Try 3 rubber hair bands. You know the little round band girls use to put thier hair in a pony tail. Double 1 over and take the other two a loop them one acrooss from the other. Take a look here in the middle of the page and you'll get the picture. http://larryscheapshots.com/?p=2634 Can't beat it for the price.

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Thu 26-Sep-13 07:16 PM
703 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Attach Hoodman Loupe to J1?"
In response to Reply # 6

Pennsylvania, US

Great gizmo Jeff. I might just take off my Velcro and give it a try.

Thanks!!!

Dan
(Nikon D800 & V2)
"My most rewarding photos are those that capture something I didn't 'see' in the viewfinder....so just SHOOT."

cmolieri Basic MemberThu 26-Sep-13 11:04 PM
#8. "RE: Attach Hoodman Loupe to J1?"
In response to Reply # 6

Sun Lakes, AZ, US

THANK YOU! That is the perfect solution. Leave it to Larry Becker's Cheapshots to come up with the solution.

cmolieri

Timeshifte Gold Member Nikonian since 10th May 2012Mon 30-Sep-13 02:15 AM
155 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Attach Hoodman Loupe to J1?"
In response to Reply # 8

Dayton, US

The new hoodman has a 1/4 inch screw hole in it just use a bracket and connect the tripod hole on the J1 to the hole on the hoodman.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #3202 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.