Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #3160
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon "reconsidering" Nikon 1 system" Previous topic | Next topic
jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Fri 09-Aug-13 04:40 PM
6809 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon "reconsidering" Nikon 1 system"

Wethersfield, US

By now, I'm sure many of you have seen media coverage of Nikon's financial report wherein they say that the Nikon 1 system hasn't met their projections and that they will "reconsider product planning of Nikon 1."

Many of those commenting on this development are concluding that this suggests a stall, or end, to Nikon 1 system development. I'm not so sure. Nikon invested a lot of R&D into that product line. It's hard to imagine they'll just abandon it. I suspect, rather, that they will revisit their existing Nikon 1 roadmap to try to better orient it to the marketplace realities. And, sure, scale it back from their original projections.

What this might mean for future 1 system products, I don't know. Probably fewer models, at least, and that's not a bad thing, in my view. There are already too many. But the main thing I expect them to try to do is reduce prices somewhat by driving out costs as much as possible and accepting that it will take longer to recoup the non-recurring costs invested in the system.

Anyway, I really hope they don't abandon the format too precipitously!

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon "reconsidering" Nikon 1 system
Covey22 Moderator
09th Aug 2013
jbloom Gold Member
09th Aug 2013
Covey22 Moderator
10th Aug 2013
nwcs Silver Member
09th Aug 2013
jbloom Gold Member
09th Aug 2013
jrp Administrator
09th Aug 2013
tekneektom Gold Member
09th Aug 2013
ericbowles Moderator
09th Aug 2013
Covey22 Moderator
10th Aug 2013
Reply message Nikon 1 & Coolpix A
jjimerson Silver Member
12th Aug 2013
benveniste Moderator
10th Aug 2013
cflehman Silver Member
12th Aug 2013
tfeazel Silver Member
12th Aug 2013
Floridian Silver Member
13th Aug 2013
Covey22 Moderator
13th Aug 2013
SRFast Silver Member
13th Aug 2013
Floridian Silver Member
15th Aug 2013
Covey22 Moderator
16th Aug 2013
richardd300 Silver Member
16th Aug 2013
Captain Rich Silver Member
18th Aug 2013
RRRoger Silver Member
01st Sep 2013
westcoast Silver Member
21st Sep 2013
21st Sep 2013
westcoast Silver Member
21st Sep 2013
ericbowles Moderator
23rd Sep 2013
23rd Sep 2013
Drbee Silver Member
25th Sep 2013
KnightPhoto Gold Member
26th Oct 2013
26th Oct 2013
KnightPhoto Gold Member
26th Oct 2013
TonyJ Silver Member
27th Oct 2013
27th Oct 2013
TonyJ Silver Member
27th Oct 2013

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberFri 09-Aug-13 06:02 PM
10781 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon "reconsidering" Nikon 1 system"
In response to Reply # 0

US

For one thing, they really need to rethink their marketing strategy in the non PACRIM areas. Other than Ashton making it look like it's easy to get fabulous pictures as long as you're loaded with cash and have an entourage and beautiful people around you, the average photographer isn't going to understand or appreciate how this system is arms and legs above the P&S they're holding now.

In general, all the players in Mirrorless (whether IL or fixed) have the same problem. Good product, but how come no one knows diddly about it?

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Fri 09-Aug-13 07:22 PM
6809 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon "reconsidering" Nikon 1 system"
In response to Reply # 1

Wethersfield, US

Armando, I agree completely. Have you seen any Nikon marketing that points out the AF capabilities of the 1 system compared to other small cameras (P&S and MILC)?

As I posted on another site (sorry), I'd like to see a Nikon commercial showing soccer moms trying to get shots of their kids in action using: a cell phone, a competing MILC, a Nikon 1 camera with 30-110 lens.

(Yes, I have experimentally tried all of the above. Guess which one actually works?)

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberSat 10-Aug-13 01:56 PM
10781 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Nikon "reconsidering" Nikon 1 system"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Yep - the V or J with the 30-110 produces such amazing results.

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Fri 09-Aug-13 06:22 PM
6875 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon "reconsidering" Nikon 1 system"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

I think one thing we may see is more regional camera systems. Nikon 1 has done very well in Asia and may simply turn into an Asia-only offering. Canon has already effectively discontinued the M in the US, too.

I think the problem is that the camera makers are making cameras and asking why people aren't coming. They don't seem to realize the pricing is out of proportion, the marketing is non-existent, and there isn't a coherent message about why people should care.

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Fri 09-Aug-13 07:26 PM
#4. "RE: Nikon "reconsidering" Nikon 1 system"
In response to Reply # 2

Wethersfield, US

Right on. Neil. It seems like camera manufacturers thought mirrorless cameras would market themselves.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberFri 09-Aug-13 07:28 PM
34764 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon "reconsidering" Nikon 1 system"
In response to Reply # 2
Sun 11-Aug-13 07:27 AM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

In my observations from the sample of relatives and local friends, the Nikon 1 system indeed appeals to some of the young, more so if they are coming from shooting a small DSLR and still want such capabilities in a smaller package.

My eldest granddaughter -for example- loves hers, however she was shooting before with a D40x with two zoom lenses (And a series of Coolpixes that were disposed off because of their fragility. They need to come up with a body armor for teenagers' cameras)
Her friends like it and the images it produces but are either content with their convenient-to-carry subcompacts or -largely- simply with their iPhones.
This particular sample is of the upper affluent, so even when pricing may not be an objection, the preference is not there.
Tough crowd and a serious marketing challenge.
And when moving down one notch in the spending capacity ... much tougher.

As for the Ashton Kutcher person, those girls find him "kind of cute but most ordinary" (meaning: with poor taste, bad manners and very low values), probably exactly as his current Two and a Half Men character. That image could improve with the release of his latest movie this month, where he interprets Steve Jobs. Yet, the previewers have only given the film lukewarm to rotten reviews.

In any event it will be easier to change the "spokesman" than the Nikon 1 line that may just need a few little changes and better advertising; better targeting.

Not surprisingly, where I see more Nikon 1 cameras is in the hands of Chinese, Korean and Japanese high level technical personnel who live here.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Fri 09-Aug-13 09:30 PM
1902 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon "reconsidering" Nikon 1 system"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

I suspect that the statement means what it says - they're going to re-examine the roadmap. It certainly appears that the days of the DSLR are numbered - it will take years to discontinue. The mirrorless type camera and increasing sophistication of smartphone cameras is going to be the wave of the future and if Nikon is to remain relevant in the upper end of photography they'll need to appropriately situate the companies products.

Having worked for Kodak for some 27 years I've been down this road before - adapt to new technologies or die and it's really best to anticipate market trends as opposed to trying to react to them - it's not easy to quickly turn the Queen Mary, Kodak or Nikon.

Tom

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 09-Aug-13 09:31 PM
8785 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon "reconsidering" Nikon 1 system"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Jon - I tend to agree with you. Mirrorless is here to stay and Nikon is certainly not going to give up on the technology. There are too many advantages.

Fundamentally, the fewer moving parts means mirrorless should cost less than reflex cameras. right now, we are not at that stage in the lifecycle. Mirrorless is still a new technology and carries a premium price. Part of that is the "cool" factor. Part is the "neat" factor. And part is the "newest technology" or "first on your block factor".

Compact reflex cameras are going away. Nikon, Canon and others ship a lot of units but don't make a lot of money on compact cameras. With that kind of market, reducing cost is a major strategy. And like today, there will be a lot of Nikon 1 cameras replacing the Coolpix models - and the rest of Coolpix cameras will go away. You could easily design and deliver a Coolpix that is mirrorless - and nobody would have a problem with the change as the market is not wedded to reflex.

At the upper end, there are different advantages of mirrorless. The big one is frame rate, but the electronic viewfinder can also be a positive. This market is a tough place to introduce early generation bleeding edge technology and call it a replacement. This market will demand features that are not ready for a first generation technology. But in 5 years, the DSLR will be disappearing. Today - there are issues to resolve. I'll shoot with whatever gets the job done.

The marketing strategy is a bit more complicated. Today - you are simply marketing a new technology. You need the cool factor. The product is not ready to replace the feature rich DSLR models. Ashton Kutcher is cool enough to satisfy a portion of the audience - the Coolpix market and competitors. Kutcher is not directed at the pro or prosumer DSLR user. There is no compact or mirrorless camera for the pro or prosumer segments anyway.

I wonder if the naming convention is appropriate. The Nikon 1 line seems geared to replacing the Coolpix. The Coolpix has so many flavors it would be hard to differentiate a mirrorless segment, so you need something else. But maybe its not mirrorless that defines the cameras as much as the size profile or target audience. I think of Nikon 1 as being something like Nikon F.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Fall Workshops - Golf Photography at the Tour Championship and Fall Color in the Smokies

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberSat 10-Aug-13 01:59 PM
#10. "RE: Nikon "reconsidering" Nikon 1 system"
In response to Reply # 7

US

As someone noted in another thread, the refurb boxes show Coolpix 1, not Nikon 1. Big branding inconsistencies that make it hard for the average buyer to differentiate products.

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

jjimerson Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jun 2006Mon 12-Aug-13 04:53 PM
61 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "Nikon 1 & Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 7

El Paso, US

Eric: I have been one of the early users of this camera except for two trips to Nikon I use it more than my D-300.
I was just looking and ran into the Coolpix A, this camera has some of what the 1 line needs, but look at list rice over $1000.
But I wonder what i in Nikons future!

Jack Jimerson
Nikonian in Far West Texas

benveniste Moderator Awarded for is high level skills in various areas, including Macro and Landscape Photography Nikonian since 25th Nov 2002Sat 10-Aug-13 04:43 AM
9564 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#8. "RE: Nikon "reconsidering" Nikon 1 system"
In response to Reply # 0

Boston Area, US

Nikon invested a lot of R&D into that product line. It's hard to imagine they'll just abandon it.

When determining what to do with a product line, a company should ignore sunk costs such as R&D. What Nikon shouldn't ignore is the damage it would do to their brand by orphaning existing Nikon 1 customers. I won't even hazard a guess as to what Nikon's marketeers will do.

As a "fire sale" V1 owner, I think Nikon does have a lot to reconsider. I find controls difficult to use and the ergonomics awkward. They also made silly mistakes for a camera priced for "enthusiasts." Here are three simple examples:

• Why is the lens hood optional on the 10-30mm?
  • Why did Nikon fail to provide an iTTL compatible hotshoe or even an adapter?
  • Why does the screen on the V1 have a 4:3 aspect ratio?

All that is fixable. But Nikon also took a big gamble on the smaller CX sensor both from a technical and a market standpoint. At least so far, I don't think that gamble is paying off. Compared to other EVIL cameras, the CX's technical and size advantages are too subtle to easily promote, and the low-light disadvantages all too clear. Bigger isn't always better, but to overcome that market bias you need a compelling story. So far, I've yet to see that story for the Nikon 1 line.

"There is no real magic in photography, just the sloppy intersection of physics and art." — Kirk Tuck

cflehman Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jan 2005Mon 12-Aug-13 02:15 PM
106 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Nikon "reconsidering" Nikon 1 system"
In response to Reply # 8

Colorado Springs, US

Thom Hogan on his Sans Mirror site has a good take on this question:

http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/the-nikon-1-head-scratcher.html

Charlie
www.Charlie.Zenfolio.com

tfeazel Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Sep 2004Mon 12-Aug-13 02:59 PM
534 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Nikon "reconsidering" Nikon 1 system"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 12-Aug-13 03:09 PM by tfeazel

Polk City, US

The whole Nikon 1 idea is a classic example of bad marketing. It is an expensive non-starter, responsive to a non-market.
The technology component may be fine, but all other aspects of the product are wrong for the current competitive market.
The poster who predicts the demise of the DSLR is probably right: other systems (M43 et. al.) offer similar performance at 1/2 the price and 2/3 the size.
Much as I hate it, iphone and its ilk offers a glimpse of the future.
Remember the scene in "Blade Runner" where the photo zooms in, and in, and in, and in...
That's the future.
As to Ashton Kutcher: A total loser, unless you're a 13 year old girl.
And daddy buys the camera for them.

Tom

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Tue 13-Aug-13 11:55 AM
2739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Nikon "reconsidering" Nikon 1 system"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, Florida, US

I was looking for a smaller camera than my Nikon DSLR system, and considered the Nikon 1 system, but it appeared to me it is more designed for point-and-shoot people wanting to move to an interchangeable lens system, not to a DSLR user who wants something more portable. I ended up getting an Olympus OM-D E-M5 and went to a M4/3 system rather than Nikon 1.

M4/3 has a good selection of lenses, and the camera I got works like a DSLR. I don't think I'm underestimating the Nikon 1 system; just saying M4/3 seemed a better fit for me.

This would suggest products and product advertizing directed toward a more advanced user. I know, writing this on Nikonians, that most on this forum are more advanced users, but it was my impression that outside of the ability to use existing Nikkors with the system, M4/3 offers more to that type of user. (Perhaps I should ask why Nikon 1 users chose that system over M4/3.)

Even for point-and-shoot upgraders, they are probably looking for a more professional system, even if they are amatateurs.

Randy

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberTue 13-Aug-13 05:14 PM
#15. "RE: Nikon "reconsidering" Nikon 1 system"
In response to Reply # 14
Tue 13-Aug-13 05:22 PM by Covey22

US

This would suggest products and product advertizing directed toward a more advanced user. I know, writing this on Nikonians, that most on this forum are more advanced users, but it was my impression that outside of the ability to use existing Nikkors with the system, M4/3 offers more to that type of user. (Perhaps I should ask why Nikon 1 users chose that system over M4/3.)

Several things that are compelling about the Nikon 1 (this from someone who owned M-43 extensively and have dabbled with Sony NEX and Fujifilm X systems):

1. The AF system - no one else has yet implemented that fast and accurate an on-chip PD system.
2. Flexible electronic/mechanical shutter (on the Vx) - perfect for the kind of candid photos I like to take.
3. A very good base set of lenses that doesn't break the bank. I immediately relegated the kit 14-42 that came with my EP-ELs to the reserve bag and grabbed a 20/1.7. Teles were hit-or-miss. Conversely with CX, I have never felt the need to replace the 10-30 and the shots I've gotten from the 30-110 are almost unreal - sharp and contrasty. And they're priced right - with ED, VR and sonic drives. The Nikon 1 lens line-up isn't deep, but there's hardly a duff in the group. The stuff I'm getting with the 18.5/1.8 is even better.
4. Integration into workflow - it shoots NEFs - I was forever using awful, awful RAW converters like Silkypix, but I'm the kind of user who firmly believes the manufacturer's RAW converter does the best job. I can then be more brand neutral about the rest of the workflow once I believe I've wrung the most that I can out of the original file.
5. Yes, the FT-1 is a big compelling factor. I do love long lenses, and knowing I can wring an 540mm FOV equivalent out of my 80-200 is great.

Edited to add: I forgot another must-have - 60fps. Now put that together with a silent shutter. Yep - fast and silent.

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

SRFast Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Dec 2004Tue 13-Aug-13 08:45 PM
1462 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Nikon "reconsidering" Nikon 1 system"
In response to Reply # 15

New York City, US

I'm with Armando. I've owned a Nikon 1 V2 since December 2012 and have enjoyed it very much. When I don't want/need to use my D3S, I grab the V2. I've owned several Nikon Coolpix cameras and currently own a P7000, but don't use it very often because of the V2. The V2 really does feel like a "mini DSLR" to me.

My nephew got married last Saturday and I decided to attend the event as a proud uncle and not a photographer so I left my D3S and associated gear at home. Instead of the DSLR, I took the V2+10-30mm VR combo but I didn't actually use the V2 myself. Instead, I set it in "P" mode and let my sister go to town with it. I set the V2 image format to NEF and she got 450+ of them. I spent most of Sunday reviewing the images and tweaking them using NVNX2. To be able to capture images in NEF and use my DSLR PP workflow is a big plus. The final images from the wedding were just as they were captured with a DSLR. Here's one image:

Whatever Nikon decides, I can honestly say I am happy I own the V2. It makes for a great small form factor backup to my D3S.

Just my two cents....JL

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Thu 15-Aug-13 04:10 AM
2739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Nikon "reconsidering" Nikon 1 system"
In response to Reply # 15

Tallahassee, Florida, US

>Several things that are compelling about the Nikon 1 (this
>from someone who owned M-43 extensively and have dabbled with
>Sony NEX and Fujifilm X systems)...

I certainly don't disagree with you, Armando, and except for looking at the cameras in stores, I've never used either the Nikon 1 or Fuji X system cameras. So my comments were from my impressions of the systems, not from experience. This is at least in part a marketing issue for Nikon: how are they pitching their cameras to potential buyers?

I'm sure I'd enjoy all these systems, but I had to think hard about buying into one more interchangeable lens system, and don't want to own two or three. But I'll confess if I was to add another one (which I'm not), I think I'd choose the Fuji over Nikon 1.

So, I was addressing the issue from the standpoint of what made me choose M4/3 over Nikon 1, and if Nikon asked and could answer the same question, perhaps they would sell more systems.

My thought wasn't that M4/3 is better, but that for some reason I decided it would be better for me.

Randy

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberFri 16-Aug-13 01:43 PM
#18. "RE: Nikon "reconsidering" Nikon 1 system"
In response to Reply # 17

US

Randy - no worries. I'm not disagreeing with you. I wouldn't be where I am with Nikon 1 had they not had the V1 firesale. For m4/3, I prefer Olympus for the bodies, Panny for the lenses. But it's just too expensive for what it is, Nikon included. Bad marketing doesn't even begin to cover it - I think of it more as incompetent marketing. Even my 6 y/o could tell a better story for mirrorless than what any of these suppliers have come up with.

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Fri 16-Aug-13 10:06 PM
3475 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Nikon "reconsidering" Nikon 1 system"
In response to Reply # 18

Dyserth, GB

In my view Nikon were forced into a corner being one of the later mirrorless CSC offerings. Personally, I like my V1 although whoever designed the body controls gets no points for common sense! In my view the whole thing appeared to be rushed. So, after investing in my twin lens V1 kit, bang two weeks later comes the V2. A bit more thought perhaps, but I see few reports of anything that would make me pay what I feel is an exorbitant amount for a V2 body. In fact although Compact Cameras are supposed to be dead in the water I bought a Coolpix P7700 2 weeks ago and it's spending a lot if time in my pocket.

I also have the FT-1 and rather like fitting my AF-S lenses on it. Along comes a firmware upgrade which allows AF-C mode and frankly I find it pretty useless. Canon's "M" seems to be doomed, or at least the price drop appears to support that. So, where do Nikon go now in the mirrorless world? Some sort of cross between the OM-D and the Sony A77 type dSLR is my guess. The market is ready for something like that and I hope Nikon provides an offering that marks a new direction in camera technology.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Captain Rich Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Sun 18-Aug-13 02:44 PM
1195 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Nikon "reconsidering" Nikon 1 system"
In response to Reply # 19

Savannah, US

I tried a P7700 before buying my V1 at firesale. I LOVED the P7700's body and controls, but I tend to travel to (and live in) a very bright environment, and I just couldn't get past the lack of a viewfinder for framing and focusing. If Nikon were to put the CX chip and the V1's viewfinder in a P7700 body they'd sell a boatload, IMHO. I guess the lens would be problematic, but just put the CX lenses on it. That would be what all the enthusiasts are looking for, I think.

Rich

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSun 01-Sep-13 10:53 PM
3176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Nikon "reconsidering" Nikon 1 system"
In response to Reply # 20

Monterey Bay, US

I read a ton and tried a lot of cameras including NEX
before getting my V1.
I have not been disappointed.
This is the only camera lighter than a D5100 that I can hold steady enough to get unblurry pictures.
I attribute that to a very fast and accurate AF system.
It is great for when I need a smaller, lighter camera system.
The Videos are also very good.

I had a D800 and got a D7100 and D600 to share the same batteries.
The V1 survived the D7100 and D600 when it was time to get rid of something to pay for a D800e.
And one of the D800s will go before it does.

westcoast Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jan 2007Sat 21-Sep-13 07:50 PM
786 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Nikon "reconsidering" Nikon 1 system"
In response to Reply # 21

California, US

Can someone take guess of how well AF-C would work on the new AW1 with a 300 f4 AFS lens. I understand with F mount lens you only have center point AF-C, but in Ok light how would AF and tracking compare to the same lens on a D7000 body. Is it useable and worth shooting in AF-C for sports or not enough to the point you would use a different body.

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sat 21-Sep-13 09:16 PM
3475 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Nikon "reconsidering" Nikon 1 system"
In response to Reply # 22

Dyserth, GB

Personally and I have the 300mm f4 for bird photography, the AF-C mode on the V1 does not match the efficiency and speed of using the lens on my D7100 and neither would it have on my D7000.

Richard

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

westcoast Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jan 2007Sat 21-Sep-13 11:24 PM
786 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Nikon "reconsidering" Nikon 1 system"
In response to Reply # 23

California, US

I was just looking to see how versatile the AW1 might be for some sports. Sounds like not as much as the D7000, are its strengths in video or just general photography when you want a compact system. I came across the AW1 thinking I might want to get in the water for some surf video, but probably just once in a while, and don't want to invest into another system for that use alone.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 23-Sep-13 01:14 PM
8785 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Nikon "reconsidering" Nikon 1 system"
In response to Reply # 23

Atlanta, US

I agree with Richard - the Nikon 1 series is a little weak in AF for moving subjects at this point. The AF system is the Contrast Detect system also used in Live View. It's going to be slower than Phase Detect used through the viewfinder of the D7000.

I'm sure it will improve in future generations, and AF is workable on the Nikon 1, just not as effective as the D7000 or D7100.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Fall Workshops - Fall Color in the Smokies

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Mon 23-Sep-13 01:40 PM
#26. "RE: Nikon "reconsidering" Nikon 1 system"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 23-Sep-13 01:43 PM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

This is an interesting post and really discusses the "where do we go from here issues". Last week I read that CSC sales overall and accounting for all makes has reduced by 30% in the last year. This could be for many reasons, market saturation, bad press or because many more tasty models arrived and the market is lower volume. For example the Fuji range of CSC's.

I am not at all surprised that Nikon are reconsidering their position and with Olympus/Fuji and Panasonic creating a real challenge they are wise to do so. I actually like my Nikon V1, however it does seem to be in my kitbag less and less. I think the reasons for this are threefold.

Firstly and bucking the trend of a decline in compact cameras, I recently bought the Nikon Coolpix P7700. Although I miss the viewfinder it does just about everything that my Nikon V1 does so much better and much more intuitively. In that I mean I don't have to change lenses and put up with the intolerable rear switch layout. The switch situation has been sorted out in the V2, but I don't seem to hear of many folks who have bought it. I use the FT-1 less and less and usually choose the D7100 over the V1/FT-1 combination.

Secondly, I am using the FT-1 less and less and usually choose the D7100 + whatever lenses over the V1/FT-1 combination.

Finally, the FT-1 is still in high price territory, whereas the Canon EF-EOS M Mount Adapter is a fraction of the price and the Canon M system still can't sell and is in a worse situation than Nikon in my view.

I think Nikon didn't think its CSC policy through sufficiently at the outset and perhaps rushed to try and keep up with an expanding mirrorless market. They've lost that race now and I wonder whether apart from a few CSC gems only a few will survive in their current form. Nikon is also still selling the Coolpix "A" at an excessive price although there has been a significant price fall.

I must make a decision soon whether to sell my V1 kit including the FT-1 as the Coolpix P7700 has now largely filled that void and I am loosing interest in utilising my AF-S lenses as I find the whole thing a bit messy now. This is sad as the V series are darned good cameras, but being ever devalued by the opposing markets.

Richard

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004Wed 25-Sep-13 03:50 AM
5796 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: Nikon "reconsidering" Nikon 1 system"
In response to Reply # 0

US

This camera is an enigma. I just bought a used N1V2 with 10-30mm and immediately added an 18.5mm. I have no idea why. It was a complete whim.

In the mirrorless realm I already have a X100 (and X10).

As I was backing out of my driveway heading to an emergency family gathering, the UPS truck delivering the two items was blocking my driveway. I threw both boxes in the car and left on a 500 mile drive to meet with family.

At that gathering, the first several images I tried with the X100 failed to focus in the low light. Some pictures I'll never have the chance for again and I'm very experience with the X100, thousands of images in all kinds of light.

I went to the car in frustration, broke open the N1V2 box, put on the 10-30mm and started taking pictures. I used auto and program. Not a miss. The previous user likely had it configured but it worked perfectly for me. While I was shooting I was trying to find some of the "manual" controls like I would on the X100. I was confused when they weren't there. No manual focus!!! Where was the ISO adjustment?? Didn't matter. I think I got RAW images even on "auto."

This camera just worked. Even with the "slow" lens, the VR worked to mitigate all that. I can't seem to figure out how to reconfigure the buttons, but so far I haven't read the manual..... I always do, but like I said - after a 8 hour drive through rural USA - I arrived, took a camera out of the box and got excellent images.

Now after the return trip, I may have time to do my homework and move forward with this very interesting tool.

Not even a macro button??? Manual says it's just a sub function of "auto."

Those images that were taken at ISO 3200 had a very film-like character. Going to have fun with this one.

This first time, the N1V2 and I would have been the cover theme for a "Camera for Dummies" book. Perhaps they should continue to emphasize the image quality and lack of photo knowledge required to obtain great pictures.

Roger
It's still, ISO, aperture and shutter-speed, right?

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 26-Oct-13 02:11 PM
4334 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Nikon "reconsidering" Nikon 1 system"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

Well at least the underwater Nikon 1 has received a good reception and stirred some life into 1 system.

For me there are two major drawbacks:
- the software system. Give me my full D4 menu system and I would be good. In particular I want the D4/D800 Auto-ISO implementation. I want to be able to drive Auto-ISO shutter speed sometimes based on focal length (Auto) and sometimes based on an an absolute minimum SS value. I don't believe the V2 addressed this issue or I might have considered upgrading.
- keep the EN-EL15 next time. I likely won't buy the V2 even on sale at end of life due to this issue. I will probably buy a V3 though one day when it comes. I am a huge fan of the speed of this sensor line in getting data off of it.
- pricing. Not sure what to say here, both the V2 and Coolpix A are priced higher than most of us will pay. Yet both are great photographic tools.

I love my V1, which I bought on day 1 of release, and it runs circles around any other compact or mirrorless for my needs due to it's speed and great capabilities. I use it just like a mini-D4 that happens to be silent, for family, casual landscape, weddings as an attendee, family and theatre video, and wildlife with my 70-300/FT-1. I get complements on it's IQ from the general public quite often, course that's the photographer not the camera right?

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sat 26-Oct-13 02:16 PM
#29. "RE: Nikon "reconsidering" Nikon 1 system"
In response to Reply # 28

Dyserth, GB

<< and wildlife with my 70-300/FT-1>>

Steve. Did you find the AF-C firmware update using the 70-300mm useful?

Richard

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 26-Oct-13 06:33 PM
4334 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: Nikon "reconsidering" Nikon 1 system"
In response to Reply # 29
Sat 26-Oct-13 06:34 PM by KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA

If useful means getting tack-sharp BIF results then no so far I've got to do some HD cleaning this weekend, I might have some Hawk/Eagle stuff but my recollection is I never got the WOW sharp ones in the series I shot.

I've read your posts on the topic with interest, and I believe you mentioned having just the single AF point (as opposed to let's say a 21-point dynamic) may be explaining the difficulty?

I have tended over the summer to be using my big FX gear for BIF, so I would still like to give the 70-300/FT-1/AF-C a more solid go of things. And/or trying it with a lens I know to be truly sharp. Unfortunately I don't have something like a 300 f/4 which would be a better test!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

TonyJ Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Sep 2004Sun 27-Oct-13 11:38 AM
1329 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: Nikon "reconsidering" Nikon 1 system"
In response to Reply # 30

Boulder, US

After using my V1 with the FT-1 and 70-200mm 2.8 VRII, I'm really floored. Quick focus that's pretty easy to control, silent, and the solid, simple feel is great. It really feels like the future, where we just have a small, light weight sensor pack to stick on the back of lenses...

I hate waiting for the EVF preview, though. I'd rather not see my result until I'm ready. I want to keep seeing/shooting. I need to do a complete dig through the manual...

Tony

D800e l D600 l D700 l Nikon 1 V1 l N90s l AF-S 16-35 f4 l AF-S 24-85 f3.5-f4.5G VR l AF-S 70-200 f2.8G VRII l AF-S 50 f1.8G l AF-S 300 f4 l TC-14EII l TC-20EIII l 2x SB600 l Autometer IIIF.
http://tonyjohnsonphotos.com
https://www.facebook.com/tony.johnson.photography
My Nikonians Gallery

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sun 27-Oct-13 12:55 PM
#32. "RE: Nikon "reconsidering" Nikon 1 system"
In response to Reply # 31

Dyserth, GB

<<I hate waiting for the EVF preview, though. I'd rather not see my result until I'm ready. I want to keep seeing/shooting.>>

Yes, you, me and just about everyone else. I had hoped this option would have been addressed in the last firmware update.

<<Quick focus that's pretty easy to control, silent, and the solid, simple feel is great...

Out of interest, have you used the AF-C focusing option and if so what is your opinion of this focus mode please?

Richard

TonyJ Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Sep 2004Sun 27-Oct-13 03:49 PM
1329 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: Nikon "reconsidering" Nikon 1 system"
In response to Reply # 32

Boulder, US

Haven't tried AF-C yet. Got a lot going on right now, but I'll be on it soon.

D800e l D600 l D700 l Nikon 1 V1 l N90s l AF-S 16-35 f4 l AF-S 24-85 f3.5-f4.5G VR l AF-S 70-200 f2.8G VRII l AF-S 50 f1.8G l AF-S 300 f4 l TC-14EII l TC-20EIII l 2x SB600 l Autometer IIIF.
http://tonyjohnsonphotos.com
https://www.facebook.com/tony.johnson.photography
My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #3160 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.