Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #3114
View in linear mode

Subject: "J1 10-30mm - DIY FIx?" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
This message is locked.
Kirks518 Registered since 15th Jul 2013Mon 15-Jul-13 05:18 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"J1 10-30mm - DIY FIx?"

US

Hi all. I have a J1 with the 10-30mm lens. I have a 5 yr warranty, but I can't for the life of me find the receipt

I now get the Lens Error, which judging by other threads, if a failure of the AF motor.

Has anyone attempted this fix on their own? I'm not afraid of taking apart lenses, as I've done it before (not with this lens).

or

Does anyone know if Nikon will do the warranty work without having the receipt (I do have the warranty paperwork, original box, etc.)?

Thanks in advance!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: J1 10-30mm - DIY FIx?
Covey22 Moderator
15th Jul 2013
Kirks518
15th Jul 2013
Covey22 Moderator
15th Jul 2013
Kirks518
15th Jul 2013
Covey22 Moderator
16th Jul 2013
nwcs Silver Member
16th Jul 2013

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberMon 15-Jul-13 05:25 PM
10705 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: J1 10-30mm - DIY FIx?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 15-Jul-13 05:26 PM by Covey22

US

I haven't seen any teardowns of CX lenses yet, just the V1 body. If you bought it using a CC, you might be able to show that purchase through billing records to evidence the receipt.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Kirks518 Registered since 15th Jul 2013Mon 15-Jul-13 05:26 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: J1 10-30mm - DIY FIx?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Cash. We hate credit. I guess this is one of those times credit would have been good.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberMon 15-Jul-13 07:41 PM
10705 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: J1 10-30mm - DIY FIx?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Ugh. That's terrible - sorry to hear that.

Well, if nothing else, Cameta Camera has the 10-30 refurbished and in-stock for USD69 and free shipping (disclaimer - I shop from them and a few other stores, just a satisfied customer).

Chances are, you'll probably pay at least that much to get the lens repaired, never mind the bench fee at an authorized dealer. Also, the new policy Nikon has on distribution of parts has made some aspects of DIY almost impossible depending upon the parts needed.

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Kirks518 Registered since 15th Jul 2013Mon 15-Jul-13 08:22 PM
#4. "RE: J1 10-30mm - DIY FIx?"
In response to Reply # 3
Mon 15-Jul-13 09:33 PM by Kirks518

US

So I looked, but can't find the receipt. We moved since I bought it, so it's lost for good probably.

That's a great price, and it is certainly Plan B.

So far, I took the lens mostly apart, and half separated it once I got to below the first circuit board. I pulled until the zoom/focus 'rod' semi-dislodged, and then reinserted it. That was done by feel, and quite easy to do. Nothing felt wrong with out during the tear down, but I figured I'd give that a try, along with seeing if something was disconnected.

Put it back together (dam screws are getting too small for my old eyes), turn the zoom to 30mm before turning it on, and... VOILA! (well almost) The lens works from 13.1mm thru 30mm. When I go wider then 13.1mm, the image jumps, I can hear and feel something in the lens move, and then I get the error message.

Any ideas? I think I have about an 80% chance of fixing this. Keeping my fingers crossed, but if worse comes to worse, I can just shoot longer then 13mm.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberTue 16-Jul-13 01:37 AM
#5. "RE: J1 10-30mm - DIY FIx?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

You are breaking new ground from what I can tell. Hopefully inspiration and the answer will make itself evident soon!

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Tue 16-Jul-13 12:07 PM
6822 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: J1 10-30mm - DIY FIx?"
In response to Reply # 4

Knoxville, US

I would speculate the VR mechanism is busted. Still, it would be interesting if you take pics of your explorations. Would make an interesting thread.

Since this thread is solely about the lens, I'm going to move it to the CX lens forum.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #3114 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.