Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #3081
View in linear mode

Subject: "V2 with FT1 and 18-300" Previous topic | Next topic
TwoMetreBill Registered since 22nd Apr 2006Tue 18-Jun-13 10:25 PM
231 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"V2 with FT1 and 18-300"

Erie, US

This seems to be a huge improvement (on paper at least) over the Fuji X-S1 in image quality, focusing and long focal length nature photography. Has anyone tried it out?

The 49-810 range (probably closer to 55-790 given Nikon's liberal focal length rounding) would be most useful for me.

For wildlife photography, it wouldn't matter that the edges are rather soft on this lens.

Bill

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: V2 with FT1 and 18-300
nwcs Silver Member
19th Jun 2013
TwoMetreBill
19th Jun 2013
nwcs Silver Member
19th Jun 2013
Covey22 Moderator
19th Jun 2013
TwoMetreBill
20th Jun 2013
KnightPhoto Gold Member
05th Jul 2013

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Wed 19-Jun-13 01:49 AM
6875 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: V2 with FT1 and 18-300"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

It certainly is a long range but the weight of the lens may be a bit awkward. But several of us have used 70-300 and 70-200 lenses with good results. I'd imagine that's a versatile combo but all the optical compromises will still be there. I'd be interested in seeing some sample shots myself.

TwoMetreBill Registered since 22nd Apr 2006Wed 19-Jun-13 04:54 AM
231 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: V2 with FT1 and 18-300"
In response to Reply # 1

Erie, US

Not sure I understand your comment. The 18-300 is smaller than both 70-200's and 70-300, slightly heavier than the 70-300, slightly lighter than the 70-200 f/4 and much lighter than the 70-200 f/2.8.

Bill

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Wed 19-Jun-13 01:22 PM
6875 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: V2 with FT1 and 18-300"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed 19-Jun-13 01:22 PM by nwcs

Knoxville, US

Yeah, I could have been clearer. I was thinking unwieldy because of the long zoom extension changes the balance/holding point. When I had the 70-200 and 70-300 on my V1 it just seemed to feel relatively stable.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberWed 19-Jun-13 01:33 PM
10786 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: V2 with FT1 and 18-300"
In response to Reply # 2

US

The weight of an FX/DX lens mounted on an FT-1/1 Series body tends to make the entire combo a bit nose heavy. Granted, it's nothing like the disparities of say, a D3100 and an 80-200/f2.8, but it's still the case. That has handling implications, even though the overall weight is not an inconvenience. It's the fact that you're shooting 810mm FOV equivalent at the long end, and that's pretty hard to handhold and expect consistent repeatable sharpness. That's why the FT-1 comes with a tripod ring.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

TwoMetreBill Registered since 22nd Apr 2006Thu 20-Jun-13 04:05 AM
#5. "RE: V2 with FT1 and 18-300"
In response to Reply # 4

Erie, US

I appreciate all the helpful comments, lots to think about. I won't be buying until the V3 comes out as I find exposure bracketing to be essential so I've time to mull over these thoughts.

Currently I'm leaning toward the 10-110 with the zoom ring as a walk around lens with the 80-400 on a sturdy tripod for wildlife.

Bill

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Fri 05-Jul-13 05:06 AM
4340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: V2 with FT1 and 18-300"
In response to Reply # 5

Alberta, CA

Fwiw I find my 70-300 at 810mm equivalent to be surprisingly hand holdable. I use electronic shutter and bang off bursts of continuous shots at 1/500 to 1/800 with VR on. Much more manageable than my D800E, 500VR, TC17E combination.

Likewise I would love to have an 80-400 for my V1.
Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #3081 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.