Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #3065
View in linear mode

Subject: "B&W through the viewfinder" Previous topic | Next topic
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sun 16-Jun-13 12:30 PM
8472 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"B&W through the viewfinder"

Atlanta, US

One of the neat opportunities of mirrorless cameras like the Nikon V1/V2 series is the ability to use the Monochrome Picture Control and see B&W through the electronic viewfinder.

If you are shooting RAW - or RAW + JPEG - you still can render the image as desired and make changes. But the ability to compose in B&W can be a lot of fun.

Cameras converted to IR create the same opportunity - to view and compose in IR.

Seeing in B&W is a huge benefit in composing B&W images. With conventional viewfinders, you need to "translate" the color image you see to the B&W iteration you visualize after processing.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

petterf Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Nov 2008Mon 17-Jun-13 01:45 PM
132 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: B&W through the viewfinder"
In response to Reply # 0

SE

>One of the neat opportunities of mirrorless cameras like the
>Nikon V1/V2 series is the ability to use the Monochrome
>Picture Control and see B&W through the electronic
>viewfinder.
>
>If you are shooting RAW - or RAW + JPEG - you still can render
>the image as desired and make changes. But the ability to
>compose in B&W can be a lot of fun.
>
>Cameras converted to IR create the same opportunity - to view
>and compose in IR.
>
>Seeing in B&W is a huge benefit in composing B&W
>images. With conventional viewfinders, you need to
>"translate" the color image you see to the B&W
>iteration you visualize after processing.
>
>Eric Bowles
>Nikonians Team
>My Gallery
>Workshops
>
>Nikonians membership — my most important photographic
>investment, after the camera

With the drop in prices on the J1/V1 getting one and having it converted to IR for a low cost.
have you seen any services and cost for this?

Petter
-Ever wondered where gadgets go when they die?

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberMon 17-Jun-13 03:39 PM
10564 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: B&W through the viewfinder"
In response to Reply # 1

US

There was a thread on DPReview - someone ordered a conversion to normal IR (715nm) for his V1 from LifePixel. Search for "First Outing with IR converted V1."

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 17-Jun-13 03:45 PM
8472 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: B&W through the viewfinder"
In response to Reply # 1

Atlanta, US

Jason O'Dell has converted a V1 to IR. And Dan Wiedbrauk has converted a V1 as well. Both are Nikonians. Dan is active in the IR forum.

I think Jason used Lifepixel for his conversion. I'm not sure about Dan - he has multiple IR cameras.

I do think converting one to IR is a great idea. I'm sure it will be strange "seeing" in IR through the viewfinder. I know it is for B&W. The big question is setting a WB, but you can always do that in post processing. LifePixel will know if that is possible.

At $249 for a refurbished V1 kit (Cameta via ebay), it's tough to wait on anything better.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Mon 17-Jun-13 07:05 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: B&W through the viewfinder"
In response to Reply # 3

Knoxville, US

I've seriously thought about converting my V1 to IR but my wife now uses it more than me. But it's interesting to think about buying another V1 and having it converted. Might sell some stuff I never use anymore to pay for it.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #3065 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.