Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #3026
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon V1 new firmware eliminates some 3rd Party Lenses!" Previous topic | Next topic
richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Tue 11-Jun-13 03:34 PM
3411 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon V1 new firmware eliminates some 3rd Party Lenses!"

Dyserth, GB

According to dpreview the new firmware update does not support the Tamron 70-300mm VC lens. It did work but doesn't now! Interestingly, the Sigma 50-500mm OS which didn't work evidently does now! I don't want to download the new firmware because it's my Tamron I want to use, not the Sigma! Also, because the software is non reversable.

I'm disappointed now as the Tamron worked well.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon V1 new firmware eliminates some 3rd Party Len...
nwcs Silver Member
11th Jun 2013
richardd300 Silver Member
11th Jun 2013
nwcs Silver Member
11th Jun 2013
11th Jun 2013
nwcs Silver Member
11th Jun 2013
adcam Gold Member
11th Jun 2013
nwcs Silver Member
11th Jun 2013
ericbowles Moderator
11th Jun 2013
11th Jun 2013
13th Jun 2013
tegel Silver Member
23rd Jul 2013
23rd Jul 2013
nwcs Silver Member
23rd Jul 2013
23rd Jul 2013
tegel Silver Member
23rd Jul 2013
23rd Jul 2013
Covey22 Moderator
13th Jun 2013
Antero52 Silver Member
25th Jul 2013
25th Jul 2013
Antero52 Silver Member
27th Jul 2013

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Tue 11-Jun-13 03:44 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon V1 new firmware eliminates some 3rd Party Lenses!"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

That's a shame. I haven't updated yet but there are some interesting things in this update.

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Tue 11-Jun-13 04:00 PM
3411 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon V1 new firmware eliminates some 3rd Party Lenses!"
In response to Reply # 1

Dyserth, GB

I bought the Tamron for the V1 and I'm sure it will be sorted out eventually. I bought the Nikon 70-300mm VR 3 times and sold them to fund more exotic lenses. I guess neither Tamron, nor Nikon are going to be in any great rush to sort it out. So, it maybe Tamron goes on e-bay, my 4th Nikon 70-300mm VR gets ordered

Richard

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Tue 11-Jun-13 04:07 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon V1 new firmware eliminates some 3rd Party Lenses!"
In response to Reply # 2

Knoxville, US

It might be worth the update, though, for AF-C support on the FT1. Sounds like they reduced the mandatory image review time, too. I'm excited to check out the changes.

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Tue 11-Jun-13 04:09 PM
#4. "RE: Nikon V1 new firmware eliminates some 3rd Party Lenses!"
In response to Reply # 3

Dyserth, GB

Sure, it would work well with my 300mm f4 and 70-200mm f2.8. I liked the Tamron though as it makes a light package.

Richard

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Tue 11-Jun-13 04:12 PM
#5. "RE: Nikon V1 new firmware eliminates some 3rd Party Lenses!"
In response to Reply # 4

Knoxville, US

I've actually considered selling my D800 and some lenses for my V1, FT1, and a couple of lenses. This update makes it a bit more tempting.

adcam Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2007Tue 11-Jun-13 06:12 PM
591 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon V1 new firmware eliminates some 3rd Party Lenses!"
In response to Reply # 0

Portland, US

Wow I didn't know that the FT1 adapter also has a firmware that needs to be updated.

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Tue 11-Jun-13 07:54 PM
#7. "RE: Nikon V1 new firmware eliminates some 3rd Party Lenses!"
In response to Reply # 6

Knoxville, US

I was surprised too. Just be sure to update the camera first as per the instructions on the update page.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Tue 11-Jun-13 08:03 PM
8715 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Nikon V1 new firmware eliminates some 3rd Party Lenses!"
In response to Reply # 7

Atlanta, US

I've run the updates for two V1's and the FT-1. Everything went smoothly.

The change in the FT-1 to use AF-C is worth the update to me. There are several other nice positives.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Tue 11-Jun-13 08:15 PM
#9. "RE: Nikon V1 new firmware eliminates some 3rd Party Lenses!"
In response to Reply # 8

Dyserth, GB

I agree Eric. I think I shall sell my Tamron and buy my 4th Nikon 70-300mm VR as it really will be a nice combo with the AF-C as the Tamron would have been. Shame, but it's the best way to keep using my V1 with a lighter lens on a regular basis.

Richard

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Thu 13-Jun-13 01:10 PM
#10. "RE: Nikon V1 new firmware eliminates some 3rd Party Lenses!"
In response to Reply # 9
Thu 13-Jun-13 01:11 PM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

A mint, boxed Nikon 70-300mm VR mysteriously turned up on my doorstep this morning! Tamron up for sale, which is a shame, but it won't work on the V1 now, or I suspect for a while.

I'd not forgotten how much I liked the last 3 70-300mm VR's and this one as good as the others Can't be many Nikonians who have owned 4 copies of the same lens!

To me the firmware upgrade has turned the V1 into a much more usable and fun camera now.

Richard

tegel Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2005Tue 23-Jul-13 11:25 AM
125 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Nikon V1 new firmware eliminates some 3rd Party Lenses!"
In response to Reply # 8

Ann Arbor, US

After updating I have not seen sharp results with the AF-C setting. Is there some trick to getting this to work? I was hoping to use the V1+FT1+70-200mm f/4 for moving subjects maybe even birds in flight. Is this a reasonable expectation? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom
Ann Arbor, MI

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Tue 23-Jul-13 11:46 AM
#13. "RE: Nikon V1 new firmware eliminates some 3rd Party Lenses!"
In response to Reply # 12

Dyserth, GB

<<Is this a reasonable expectation? Any advice is appreciated.>>

Mmmm, I was excited when the update came out allowing AF-C only to be disappointed. I find it extremely difficult to track birds in flight on the V1 + FT-1 and either my 70-200mm f2.8 or 70-300mm VR, a problem I don't have with either my D7100 or D800.

Some of this is the need to practice more perhaps, but my skill with a dSLR is pretty good. I think some of it is the EVF and unless camera manufacturers can resolve what I call the "unreal visual experience" I don't think mirror less cameras for sport or wildlife can come of age. To put the AF-C situation in context it seems sluggish compared to my dSLR's.

Let's be fair though, the V1 is a low end camera performing many high end tasks very well. Perhaps birds in flight may be a step too far. I am sure there are those who will disagree.

Richard

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Tue 23-Jul-13 01:08 PM
#14. "RE: Nikon V1 new firmware eliminates some 3rd Party Lenses!"
In response to Reply # 13

Knoxville, US

My experience mirrors yours with the firmware update. It has helped some but it really didn't make tracking all that useful.

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Tue 23-Jul-13 01:21 PM
#15. "RE: Nikon V1 new firmware eliminates some 3rd Party Lenses!"
In response to Reply # 14

Dyserth, GB

I think the laws of diminishing returns come into play with the V1/V2 plus FT-1. It would be extremely optimistic to expect dSLR qualities from what after all is an interchangeable lens compact camera. The more one pushes it to the limit, the less enjoyable it is

Richard

tegel Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2005Tue 23-Jul-13 02:21 PM
125 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Nikon V1 new firmware eliminates some 3rd Party Lenses!"
In response to Reply # 15

Ann Arbor, US

Thanks for your replies. I've been quite pleased with the results using the V1 with the 300mm f/4 for static subjects, and got my hopes up when I read about the firmware update. You confirmed what I have been experiencing, so I'll (re)set my expectations accordingly. Btw, I tested it out using burst mode on a bird walking along the shore (BNIF? ) and focus was just not there. For single shots using AF-S, it worked great. Since then I haven't used AF-C at all.

I got the V1 to supplement my D700 for that extra "reach" with minimal cost/weight. That was also before the D7100 was released. I've read good things about that body and may have to give it a try.

Tom
Ann Arbor, MI

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Tue 23-Jul-13 02:34 PM
#17. "RE: Nikon V1 new firmware eliminates some 3rd Party Lenses!"
In response to Reply # 16
Tue 23-Jul-13 02:34 PM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

<<That was also before the D7100 was released. I've read good things about that body and may have to give it a try.>>

I love my D7100, it's a remarkable camera for the money and for wildlife it is very good. However, the buffering of RAW images could be quicker a situation which will be resolved by a D400 when it appears. I've learned to live with the issue quite comfortably, so I am in no hurry to upgrade.

Richard

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberThu 13-Jun-13 01:55 PM
10677 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Nikon V1 new firmware eliminates some 3rd Party Lenses!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

This is the challenge for any Third-Party manufacturer. Because they're not paying royalties to Nikon and get access to the firmware design, they're constantly having to reverse engineer any changes on the bodies or the mount. They will eventually catch up.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Thu 25-Jul-13 05:57 AM
2520 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Nikon V1 new firmware eliminates some 3rd Party Lenses!"
In response to Reply # 0

Vantaa, FI

Can someone please confirm if the V1 with the new firmware works with the Sigma 50-500mm OS version? If it does, I am seriously interested in the V1. Not as a lighter DSLR but as a reasonably good compact/camcorder combo. Plus it does something a DSLR cannot do, such as shooting bursts at 60 fps.

Regards, Antero

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Thu 25-Jul-13 06:59 AM
#19. "RE: Nikon V1 new firmware eliminates some 3rd Party Lenses!"
In response to Reply # 18

Dyserth, GB

<<Can someone please confirm if the V1 with the new firmware works with the Sigma 50-500mm OS version?>>

My OS version is 20 months old and didn't work on the previous or current firmware version, neither did my Sigma 105mm f2.8 OS macro. Sigma UK said that they would re-chip both lenses for just to cost of postage. However, I've decided that as my 70-300mm VR, 70-200 f2.8 and 300mm f4 all work fine I won't bother to have them re-chipped.

Richard

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Sat 27-Jul-13 06:52 PM
2520 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Nikon V1 new firmware eliminates some 3rd Party Lenses!"
In response to Reply # 19

Vantaa, FI

Thank you Richard, I'll check with the local distributor about re-chipping.

Regards, Antero

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #3026 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.