Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #3012
View in linear mode

Subject: "On/off switch" Previous topic | Next topic
Daveecopping Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2011Thu 06-Jun-13 07:53 AM
168 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"On/off switch"

Polegate, GB

Does anyone else remove the battery from their V1 to prevent it accidentally turning on?

Dave

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: On/off switch
gvk Silver Member
06th Jun 2013
Covey22 Moderator
06th Jun 2013
SRFast Silver Member
06th Jun 2013
kenuck Silver Member
07th Jun 2013
nwcs Silver Member
10th Jun 2013
kenuck Silver Member
11th Jun 2013
Daveecopping Silver Member
14th Jul 2013
11th Aug 2013
15th Aug 2013
richardd300 Silver Member
16th Aug 2013

gvk Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Feb 2006Thu 06-Jun-13 12:06 PM
260 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: On/off switch"
In response to Reply # 0

Mystic, US

No, I have never seen my V1 turn on accidentally. I have used the V1 for about 18 months, usually carrying it without a case, or sometimes stuffed into a corner of a camera bag when using my DSLRs. The power button does not seem to be prone to accidental activation, and turning on by extending the lens requires a button press and substantial rotation.

Gerry

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberThu 06-Jun-13 01:50 PM
10574 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: On/off switch"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Nope. The buttons on most of the 1 series (can't speak about the V2, no hands on yet) aren't prone to getting accidentally pressed while in storage. The "idle" life of the batteries are certainly lower than what one would be used to in DSLR terms, which is why I keep a lot of spares, compared to the full size cameras.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

SRFast Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Dec 2004Thu 06-Jun-13 08:59 PM
1426 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: On/off switch"
In response to Reply # 2

New York City, US

Does the V1 have an "Auto Power Off" option? I have the V2 and it can accidentally powered on, but I have the auto power off set to five (5) minutes.

Hope this helps...JL

kenuck Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2008Fri 07-Jun-13 03:03 PM
94 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: On/off switch"
In response to Reply # 3

Burnaby, CA

>Does the V1 have an "Auto Power Off" option? I
>have the V2 and it can accidentally powered on, but I have the
>auto power off set to five (5) minutes.
>
>Hope this helps...JL

Good idea, the V2 is much more likely to be turned on accidentally - particularly when putting it away into the camera bag. Happened to me many times.

Ken

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Mon 10-Jun-13 10:32 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: On/off switch"
In response to Reply # 4

Knoxville, US

Really? I would have figured the auto turn on feature from the lens is the only way it would accidentally turn on.

kenuck Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2008Tue 11-Jun-13 12:12 AM
94 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: On/off switch"
In response to Reply # 5

Burnaby, CA

>Really? I would have figured the auto turn on feature from
>the lens is the only way it would accidentally turn on.

No, there's also a rotary switch around the shutter release that I find accidentally turns the camera on sometimes when I'm putting it into the camera bag. That switch is necessary for prime lenses which can't be turned on at the lens...also useful for turning the camera off when in review mode.

Ken

Daveecopping Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2011Sun 14-Jul-13 11:20 PM
168 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: On/off switch"
In response to Reply # 6

Polegate, GB

This problem has self-rectified. When I had the 10-30mm zoom fitted, which was most of the time, just a touch of the lens barrel was enough to turn the camera on. Heaven only knows what I did to cure it, but it's fine now.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Dave

Daveecopping Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2011Sun 11-Aug-13 06:57 PM
#8. "RE: On/off switch"
In response to Reply # 7

Polegate, GB

An update to this problem, which re-occurred and re-occurred again. I finally sent the lens off to Nikon UK for a repair under warranty. It's worth noting that there is noticeable excessive play with the lens when fitted to the V1 which does not occur with the 30-110mm lens.

Best wishes to all,

Dave

Daveecopping Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2011Thu 15-Aug-13 01:47 PM
#9. "RE: On/off switch"
In response to Reply # 8

Polegate, GB

I can now report a happy ending to this small saga. Nikon has replaced the A-unit, which presumably is the metal part that attaches to the camera. There is hardly any play in the lens fitting now, it's a good, firm fit. The camera no longer switches on when I merely touch the lens barrel. I think it's safe to say that the matter is fully rectified and signed off.

Thanks to everyone who showed an interest.

Dave

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Fri 16-Aug-13 07:17 AM
3314 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: On/off switch"
In response to Reply # 9

Dyserth, GB

Glad it's fixed. Just goes to show what fast service Nikon can give when it pulls its finger out. Well done Nikon.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #3012 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.