Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #299
View in linear mode

Subject: "How to carry V1?" Previous topic | Next topic
Matto Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2007Wed 23-Nov-11 12:27 PM
595 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"How to carry V1?"

Glenwood, US

How do V1 owners plan to carry it and the lenses? Nikon sells a camera case, which I don't want (I never owned a Nikon Camera Case). The camera and 10-30 & 30-110 lenses easily fit in a fanny pack, but how can the items be protected from bumping into each other? Also, how can the rear LCD be protected from scratches? Nikon does not make a plastic cover like on the D90 or D300, and there doesn't seem to be any provision for attaching one on the camera if Nikon eventually should offer one.

Matthew

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: How to carry V1?
agitater Gold Member
23rd Nov 2011
Matto Silver Member
23rd Nov 2011
agitater Gold Member
23rd Nov 2011
HeavyDuty
04th Dec 2011
wcguy Silver Member
23rd Nov 2011
Matto Silver Member
24th Nov 2011
wcguy Silver Member
24th Nov 2011
gbheron Silver Member
24th Nov 2011
TomCurious
24th Nov 2011
Matto Silver Member
27th Nov 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
03rd Dec 2011
macfish
05th Dec 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
05th Dec 2011
macfish
08th Dec 2011
wblink
08th Dec 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
11th Dec 2011
rickpaul
28th Dec 2011
gbheron Silver Member
11th Dec 2011

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Wed 23-Nov-11 03:55 PM
3863 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: How to carry V1?"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

My V1 is carried in a Billingham f/Stop 2.8 shoulder bag alongside a Fujifilm X100. I attached a Domke strap to the V1 itself, which works real well with the relatively light weight of the camera/lens combo. Tried the smaller model of my favorite UpStrap, but it's the wrong application for that strap IMO.

As for the rear LCD, I haven't worried about scratches since Nikon started using really tough stuff for the outer surface a few years ago. That said, any of the Zagg (or competing product) screens that fit a 3+ inch LCD can be trimmed to fit. As Nikon ships more and more 1-series cameras, I'm sure that Zagg, GGS and others will produce custom fitted screen protectors. Give it another month.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

Matto Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2007Wed 23-Nov-11 10:16 PM
595 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: How to carry V1?"
In response to Reply # 1

Glenwood, US

Howard
I'll look into the Billingham bag. I use Domke 1 inch Gripper straps for most of my cameras. Is that the one you use?

Matthew

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Wed 23-Nov-11 11:31 PM
3863 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: How to carry V1?"
In response to Reply # 2

Toronto, CA

Yes - the Domke Gripper.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

HeavyDuty Registered since 23rd Nov 2011Sun 04-Dec-11 06:30 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: How to carry V1?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

I'm finding the FDigital BBB I usually use for my Leica kit is working very well for my V1 with 10, 10-30 and 30-110 plus charger, and there's still room for the flash when it gets here tomorrow. I may order a dedicated bag either from FDigital or from CourierWear so I don't have to repack when switching between systems.

wcguy Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Nov 2009Wed 23-Nov-11 10:58 PM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: How to carry V1?"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

I use a Billingham L2 bag. Just the right size,holds 2 lens,mini tripod,mini flash,cards and camera with 10-100 lens. Plus a few small odds and ends.Easy bag to commute with.Its a high quality bag with great protection, but is not cheap. WC

'ITS WHAT YOU LEARN AFTER YOU KNOW IT ALL THAT COUNTS'

Matto Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2007Thu 24-Nov-11 12:15 AM
#5. "RE: How to carry V1?"
In response to Reply # 3

Glenwood, US

How doe you keep the camera and lenses from banging into each other. Does the bag have compartments or dividers?

Matthew

wcguy Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Nov 2009Thu 24-Nov-11 02:50 AM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: How to carry V1?"
In response to Reply # 5

CA

>How doe you keep the camera and lenses from banging into each
>other. Does the bag have compartments or dividers?

Billingham bags come with well padded separators. You can arrange to suit your own lay-out. I also have a side pouch that matches,I keep my batteries and charger in it.You can order other pouches or separators at different sizes.Their bags come with enough though.WC

'ITS WHAT YOU LEARN AFTER YOU KNOW IT ALL THAT COUNTS'

gbheron Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2007Thu 24-Nov-11 01:29 AM
162 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: How to carry V1?"
In response to Reply # 0

Cedar Falls, US

Good evening, Matthew,

I carry the V1 with 10-30 mm, 30-110 mm, and the 10 mm in a Think Tank Change Up that I received less than a week ago. The bag also contains two spare batteries, a case with four SDHC cards, pens, small notebook, and a few other small items. So far it has just been used as a shoulder bag; I have yet to try it as a belt bag while riding a bicycle. I am sure I will try other carrying options, and I am curious to hear of solutions by other Nikonians.

Randy from Iowa

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007Thu 24-Nov-11 11:50 PM
2312 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: How to carry V1?"
In response to Reply # 0

Bay Area, US

So far I use this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032FPVKE/ref=oh_o01_s01_i00_details

It's light and small, and only $17. It fits the V1 with lens, one extra lens and the flash. Most of the time I go out with only two lenses anyway (10 and 30-110).

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

Matto Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2007Sun 27-Nov-11 12:56 PM
#9. "RE: How to carry V1?"
In response to Reply # 8

Glenwood, US

Thanks to everyone for your replies. There are some good suggestions and I will look into them.

Matthew

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 03-Dec-11 12:57 AM
3087 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: How to carry V1?"
In response to Reply # 9

Monterey Bay, US

I use my smallest Tamrac bag.
Room for more than everything.
Nikon makes some nice little lens bags and there are lots of aftermarket ones.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

macfish Registered since 05th Nov 2004Mon 05-Dec-11 12:20 PM
140 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: How to carry V1?"
In response to Reply # 0

Columbus, US

Think Tank Speed Changer. I have one for my Olympus M4/3 system and one for the V1. I use a single divider in the main compartment. Body and kit lens in one side, 30-100 in the other, with hood attached. Also easily fits the SBN5' card holder, etc in the front. Or sometimes body only in one side, two lenses stacked in the other. Not worried about the lenses, I just stack them on top of each other, rear lens caps facing each other. At some point I may try gluing them together, just as I did with my other Nikkors.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Mon 05-Dec-11 12:57 PM
4090 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: How to carry V1?"
In response to Reply # 12

Alberta, CA

That sounds perfect Kirk,

Does the divider come with the speed changer? Also, do you wear it on your belt?

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

macfish Registered since 05th Nov 2004Thu 08-Dec-11 03:44 PM
140 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: How to carry V1?"
In response to Reply # 13

Columbus, US

You know I have so much Think Tanks stuff that I'm never at a loss for dividers, but I'm pretty sure that yes the Speed changer does come with at least one. But they're great folks, just give them a shout.
And yes, the main reason I use them is that I can carry either on a belt (TT's or any other) or with a shoulder strap. I've added a couple of split rings to the bag's little "ears" on the back, then attach a shoulder strap. An UpStrap camera strap one one, a plain nylon on the other.
Added a Gordy's wrist strap to both bodies, hate neck straps.

wblink Registered since 09th Feb 2009Thu 08-Dec-11 04:03 PM
255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: How to carry V1?"
In response to Reply # 14

Gendt, NL

After a long search I came to the Lowepro SlingShot 102AW.

Just perect.

Willem

Sony Nex-7

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSun 11-Dec-11 02:32 PM
3087 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: How to carry V1?"
In response to Reply # 15

Monterey Bay, US

I took my V1 hiking to Garrapata Park yesterday.
It fits in my shirt pocket with the 10mm f2.8 lens
But I attached it to my CarbonFibre TriPod.
Next time I will try my MonoPod.

5 pictures are in My Nikonians Gallery

rickpaul Basic MemberWed 28-Dec-11 05:33 PM
1806 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: How to carry V1?"
In response to Reply # 12

Tucson, US

Fits in the Speed Changer just fine. Use the dividers and you can fit the flash or a second lens.

Another good option appears to be the new ThinkTank Hubba Hubba Hiney (gotta love that name):

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/hubba-hubba-hiney.aspx

This looks like it could hold pretty much the whole Nikon 1 system.

--------------------------
Rick Paul
The Photo Professors

Saguaro Shadows Photography
Tucson, Arizona

My Nikonians Gallery

My Nikonians Blog

gbheron Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2007Sun 11-Dec-11 08:38 PM
162 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: How to carry V1?"
In response to Reply # 0

Cedar Falls, US

Good afternoon, Matthew,

I just added a Think Tank Bum Bag (think fanny pack) to my inventory of bags last week. It is a perfect size for carrying the V1 with a few extra lenses and spare battery. The bag has stretchable nylon loops on the back for sliding onto a belt. I intend to carry it on a Think Tank Skin Belt, but just about any belt would do. The bag has two zippered compartments, and a rain cover is included. It is not padded, nor does it have dividers in the compartments; you would be obliged to protect your gear with wraps or pouches.

--- Randy ---

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #299 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.