Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2952
View in linear mode

Subject: "Adapter" Previous topic | Next topic
adcam Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2007Wed 24-Apr-13 03:07 PM
576 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Adapter"

Portland, US

Has anyone tried the Fotodiox adapter? Pricing looks good. It's even cheaper in Amazon.

http://fotodioxpro.com/index.php/lens-mount-adapters/fotodiox-lens-mount-adapter-nikon-nikkor-lens-to-nikon-1-series-camera-adapter-fit-nikon-v1-j1-mirrorless-cameras.html

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Adapter
nwcs Silver Member
24th Apr 2013
Covey22 Moderator
24th Apr 2013
briantilley Moderator
24th Apr 2013
anabasis Silver Member
27th Feb 2014
cosmicfires Silver Member
27th Feb 2014
anabasis Silver Member
27th Feb 2014

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Wed 24-Apr-13 04:27 PM
6804 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Adapter"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

No, but it will be interesting to see if it turns out to be as good as the FT1. The FT1 is quite expensive for what it is but it does work well.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberWed 24-Apr-13 05:02 PM
10410 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Adapter"
In response to Reply # 1

US

No AF and no metering could be a showstopper for some. The Live View on the 1 Series sorta offsets that, but not everyone is interested in the fully manual approach.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 24-Apr-13 04:56 PM
28312 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Adapter"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

It certainly looks well-priced, but it's not directly comparable with the FT-1.

You probably realise that since it has no electrical contacts, AF won't work, you'll be limited to stopped-down metering and you'd need lenses with aperture rings.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

anabasis Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Sep 2003Thu 27-Feb-14 01:34 AM
1771 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Adapter"
In response to Reply # 0

Edwardsville, US

I have two of them. One for Leica M and another for Leica R lenses.

They are well made, mostly all metal. They are solid extension tubes with a Nikon 1 bayonet at one end that uses the camera button to release it. On the other side is the respective mount with a latch to release the lens.

There is no electrical contact, so on my wife's V1 you need to set the camera to manual exposure and a set ISO. If you try to use even aperture priority, the camera will give an error and not fire. Also worth noting, there is no movie mode with these rings.

There will be no metering graph so you will have to use the aperture ring and use the toggle to change the shutter speed. You will need to use the LCD screen or an alternative metering method.

I have used my 16-21mm WATE up to 90mm with the Leica M ring. All of them focus to infinity so there is no issue there. I have read that there are some issues with the VC lenses.

For Leica R I've used my 100mm makro lens, 180mm f2, as well as my APO Telyt system up to 800mm. They all perform properly.

My bottom line, if you want to use Nikon F-mount lenses, especially AFS lenses get the Nikon adapter. Getting the information from the lens to the camera is worth the extra cost. If you have lenses from another system and want to use them on the Nikon 1 camera, it's worth the $20.

I've had them only a few days, so will have to get outside to test them better. It is pretty amazing to have a 2160mm f5.6 equivalent lens. The Leica M lenses mate very well with the Nikon 1 as they are small and generally faster than the Nikon lenses. Of course they are also very expensive.

Here is a shot with the 35mm f2 Leica-M lens. It is a nice portrait lens on the Nikon 1.

The second shot is a uncropped photo of a bird that I'm not quite happy with, but it's what I have at this point. This is a 560mm f4 lens. That is 1,512mm equiv.

JCA

Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/37977699@N00/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

cosmicfires Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Nov 2011Thu 27-Feb-14 02:12 AM
303 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Adapter"
In response to Reply # 4

US

I like the kitty's red claws. Do you paint them with nail polish?

my website

anabasis Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Sep 2003Thu 27-Feb-14 04:27 PM
1771 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: Adapter"
In response to Reply # 5

Edwardsville, US

They are actually plastic caps that superglue over the claws to prevent them from damaging things. They come in all sorts of colors, but my wife likes to dress up the kitty, so she gets pink.

JCA

Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/37977699@N00/

Visit

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2952 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.