Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2908
View in linear mode

Subject: "Using the 70-300 VR on a Nikon V1" Previous topic | Next topic
Matto Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2007Fri 12-Apr-13 05:56 PM
637 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Using the 70-300 VR on a Nikon V1"

Glenwood, US

I tried my 70-300VR with the FT-1 adapter on my V1. I was astonished at how well this lens performs on the V1. Even at f5.6 and 300mm the images were very good. The 70-300 is one of my favorite lenses on my DX cameras, but I am pleased with it on my V1. There is a down side however, in dim light at 300mm where the lens is at f5.6, the V1 hunts and will not come to focus. At shorter focal lengths it will focus in low light. Also, since the camera is only using the center focus point, tracking anything is out of the question if the object moves off center. Anyone else give this combo a try?

Matthew

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Using the 70-300 VR on a Nikon V1
Shy Talk
12th Apr 2013
nwcs Silver Member
12th Apr 2013
Shy Talk
12th Apr 2013
nwcs Silver Member
13th Apr 2013
PeterBeckett Gold Member
13th Apr 2013
Matto Silver Member
13th Apr 2013
tgreenwald Silver Member
14th Apr 2013
PeterBeckett Gold Member
15th Apr 2013
nwcs Silver Member
15th Apr 2013
PeterBeckett Gold Member
15th Apr 2013
nwcs Silver Member
15th Apr 2013
richardd300 Silver Member
15th Apr 2013
walk43 Gold Member
19th Apr 2013
richardd300 Silver Member
19th Apr 2013
KnightPhoto Gold Member
22nd Apr 2013

Shy Talk Registered since 12th Jun 2010Fri 12-Apr-13 06:24 PM
549 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Using the 70-300 VR on a Nikon V1"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Glasgow, GB

I bought a V1 and FT-1 in order to have a real compact but long reach travel kit using the 70-300VR and the little 10-30.

My regular travel kit is a D3100, 70-300VR and the 18-55 that came with the D3100.

Didn't work.

The V1 only AF'd properly with the 70-300 in decent light and it was clearly going to be tricky with movers.
I might have given up too early, but truthfully it was a bit unimpressive.
Maybe I'm just too used to the conventional bodies, but at least I only paid small money for the V1. Early adopters must be sick at the way the V1 price dropped.

my webpage is at http://www.scottishops.co.uk

my Nikonians gallery is here. http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/330319

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Fri 12-Apr-13 07:32 PM
6827 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Using the 70-300 VR on a Nikon V1"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

I was very surprised myself when I first tried the 70-300 on the V1 last year. It's a superb way to get resolution on a subject but, as you saw, when you have good light. The V1 really hunts a lot. I've experimented with the V1 on my 200-400 but I haven't had any successful shots yet. Mostly because when I did it the weather was bad. Now that the weather is good I might try it again.

Shy Talk Registered since 12th Jun 2010Fri 12-Apr-13 09:23 PM
549 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Using the 70-300 VR on a Nikon V1"
In response to Reply # 2

Port Glasgow, GB

It sounds good in theory, but I think unless the subject is very static it's a non-starter.

I've no idea what to do with my V1/ FT-1 combo now.

I did try it with the 50 1.4G. That works quite well.

I also put a Nikkor 1000mm f11 on the FT-1. So that's 2700mm effective. Easier to focus than I'd expected, but I don't own a decent tripod.

Come to think of it, as my house overlooks the Clyde- if I could get a decent tripod I could maybe turn 3 underused items (1000milli, FT-1 & V1) into an effective telescope/ camera...

my webpage is at http://www.scottishops.co.uk

my Nikonians gallery is here. http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/330319

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Sat 13-Apr-13 01:25 AM
6827 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Using the 70-300 VR on a Nikon V1"
In response to Reply # 3

Knoxville, US

I think it also depends on the subject/background. If I can keep a fairly clean background then I don't have as much trouble focusing/refocusing...

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Sat 13-Apr-13 01:55 PM
803 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Using the 70-300 VR on a Nikon V1"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

Mathew,
No, but I have used my 70-200/2.8G and 400/2.8 with both 1V1 and 1V2 to shoot video of shorebirds. Using the 70-200 was a dream, but the 400 proved to be challenging - both with respect to FINDING the subject and maintaining focus.

I regularly use f/1.4 primes with the 1V2 for indoor "home movies" in low light situations.

Pete

Matto Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2007Sat 13-Apr-13 02:30 PM
637 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Using the 70-300 VR on a Nikon V1"
In response to Reply # 5

Glenwood, US

Pete
I also tried my 70-200 VR1 with the V1, and it worked very well. My 40mm F2.8 DX macro and 105mm f2.8 VR macro also do well. I tried my 85mm f1.8D in manual focus, and while sharpness was only OK (useable but not great) at f1.8, it was hard to focus and pictures that had areas with abrupt white to dark color transitions showed a lot of purple fringing, more so than with my D300. I used the 70-300VR for some close up pictures at the minimum focus distance, and they were pretty good, and it gives a near macro lens FOV. Obviously, the limit to only using the central focus point does have a impact on what you can use the FT-1 - V1 combo for.

Matthew

tgreenwald Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2005Sun 14-Apr-13 03:30 PM
1470 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: Using the 70-300 VR on a Nikon V1"
In response to Reply # 6

High Springs , FL, US

I think that the V1 works best at larger apertures. I'm using the 80-200mm f2.8 AFS and it's a real dream bird ID kit. Works great with FT1 and even better than with the 300mm f4. It's great to use 80mm to find the little brown job then zoom in to 200mm and snap for an ID. Are these cover of Audubon shots, no. But for ID purposes amazing.

I'm not clear on why the 70-300mm f3.5-f5.6 won't focus at f5.6. I'm guessing the FT-1 looses light perhaps a stop or 2? The 30-110mm CX lens works fine at 110mm and f5.6.

Does anyone have another idea about the FT-1.

I'm using a Canon Close up lens a 250D 52mm on a 40.5-52mm step up ring and getting some very useable "close up" shots. It was helpful the other day in trying to read the serial number on a hearing aid that I could not see with my naked (old) eyes.

www.teddgreenwald.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Mon 15-Apr-13 04:29 AM
803 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Using the 70-300 VR on a Nikon V1"
In response to Reply # 7

San Jose, US

Ted,
The FT-1 is optically inert, so does not affect anything. It's only a spacer.

While shooting video, the 400/2,8 and 70-200/2.8 seem to AF on the 1V1 and 1V2, but only "on demand" (when you partially depress the shutter release button). The Pro lenses do not seem to support AF-C functionality, only AF-S whereas the System 1 lenses do seem to provide AF-C.

Does anyone know for certain if/how AF-C can be made to work with Pro lenses on a System 1 body, either with stills or video?

Pete

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Mon 15-Apr-13 01:10 PM
#9. "RE: Using the 70-300 VR on a Nikon V1"
In response to Reply # 8

Knoxville, US

The FT1/Nikon 1 combo only supports single point AF-S. So no chance for AF-C with any lens. I think this is a camera issue, though, and not a FT1 issue. Probably intentionally disabled to not cannibalize sales of other Nikon DSLRs.

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Mon 15-Apr-13 01:50 PM
#10. "RE: Using the 70-300 VR on a Nikon V1"
In response to Reply # 9
Mon 15-Apr-13 04:30 PM by PeterBeckett

San Jose, US

Neil,
Thank you for the unfortunate confirmation, kind Sir.

Although I might wish for several slightly different (firmware-governed) features, I consider my 1V1 and 1V2 to be very worthy stablemates to my Pro bodies. I have only a single criticism of the V2's ergonomics - which is that the multi-selector dial is located slightly too close to the RHS of the body. I find that, far too often, the fleshy part of my hand below my right thumb tends to accidentally select exposure compensation!

I am truly hoping that Nikon will announce a mirrorless Pro body within the next couple of years - when they do, I will immediately place a pre-order! Just imagining a mirrorless, shutterless, totally silent version of a D4 or D800 makes me drool!!!

Pete

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Mon 15-Apr-13 04:08 PM
#11. "RE: Using the 70-300 VR on a Nikon V1"
In response to Reply # 10

Knoxville, US

That would be nice! I don't find my D800 heavy but if you're carrying it around all day it sure seems to grow in weight. I put together a travel kit for my honeymoon next month and compared it with what I took to Vegas last year. Went from a D700+grip, 70-200 f2.8, 14-70 f2.8 to a D800, 70-200 f4, 24-120 f4. 2 pounds less and it really feels it!

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Mon 15-Apr-13 07:42 PM
3437 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Using the 70-300 VR on a Nikon V1"
In response to Reply # 11

Dyserth, GB

I thought I'd try the Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD with the V1 and FT-1. The reason for this is that I've actually owned 3 Nikon 70-300mm VR's and was pleased with all of them, but sold them to fund some pro lenses. However, now I have invested quite heavily in long lenses and I just wanted something for the V1 without raiding the bank for the Nikon version.

I am not disappointed and have not found any improved nor detrimental results when compared to the Nikon on both my V1, D7100 and D800.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Fri 19-Apr-13 10:00 PM
707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Using the 70-300 VR on a Nikon V1"
In response to Reply # 12

Pennsylvania, US

NAS has bitten me hard. I don't know what will come next....poor house or divorce!

Dan
(Nikon D800, V2 & Sony HX400V SuperZoom)
"My most rewarding photos are those that capture something I didn't 'see' in the viewfinder....so just SHOOT."

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Fri 19-Apr-13 10:15 PM
3437 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Using the 70-300 VR on a Nikon V1"
In response to Reply # 13

Dyserth, GB

<<NAS has bitten me hard. I don't know what will come next....poor house or divorce!>>

Next is dreaming of a D4 + 600 or 800mm lens. Sleep well Dan

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Mon 22-Apr-13 01:08 AM
4299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Using the 70-300 VR on a Nikon V1"
In response to Reply # 12

Alberta, CA

I've got an eight day birding trip to Point Pelee and environs in May and I'm only bringing my 70_300 and V1. I did some work at f/8 last fall and it seemed pretty good.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2908 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.