Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2855
View in linear mode

Subject: "So, SB-N5 or 7?" Previous topic | Next topic
Captain Rich Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Sun 10-Mar-13 01:36 PM
1179 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"So, SB-N5 or 7?"

Savannah, US

I've been frustrated with the lack of a flash on the V1 and intended to sell it. Bought a Coolpix P7700 and mostly liked it except for the lack of viewfinder in bright sunshine. I did some pixel peeping, and it's obviously inferior in IQ to the V1, but it really has nice controls - better than the V1, I think. As strictly a P&S though, it more than met my IQ expectations. Unfortunately, the unit I bought had a problem with the flash, so I sent it back and decided to just keep the V1 to use as a P&S/backup to D700 on travel.

The major problem I have with the V1 in this role is the lack of a flash, so I've decided to order one. The little SB-N5 looks very cool, is nice and compact, but is it powerful enough to use like a P&S? I suspect it is, but just wanted confirmation before I order one. Amazon has both the 5 & 7 for roughly the same price. I like the pocketability of the 5 (based on looking at it on line), and wonder if the 7 is quite a bit larger. I have had no problems carrying an SB400 with my D40X (now sold), but wonder if the SB-N7 balances poorly on the V1 and if it just looks completely unwieldy. Maybe the increased power offsets the size and balance issues?

Does anyone know how the power output of the SB-N7 compares to the SB400? I always liked that better than using the in-camera flash, and found that it didn't add much weight or bulk. So, anyone want to help me spend some money on a flash? Thanks.

Rich

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: So, SB-N5 or 7?
kenuck Silver Member
10th Mar 2013
Captain Rich Silver Member
10th Mar 2013
kenuck Silver Member
10th Mar 2013
10th Mar 2013
kenuck Silver Member
10th Mar 2013
11th Mar 2013

kenuck Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2008Sun 10-Mar-13 02:25 PM
100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: So, SB-N5 or 7?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 10-Mar-13 04:14 PM by kenuck

Burnaby, CA

I have the N5 and will probably get the N7 when it becomes available locally.
SB N5 GN 8.5m/27.9ft, 70g, tilts and swivels
SB N7 GN 18m/59ft, 92g (without 2 AAA batteries), tilts only
SB400 GN 21m/69ft, 128g (without 2 AA batteries), tilts only
All GN at ISO 100

The N5's tilt and swivel is useful if you want to bounce off the ceiling in portrait mode. The other two would have to bounce off a wall.

The N5 is useful for bounce-flash at up to 8-10 ft with the kit lens. Another option would be to get a faster lens (like the 18.5mm f/1.8) and the N5 or even no flash.

Ken

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Captain Rich Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Sun 10-Mar-13 02:55 PM
1179 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: So, SB-N5 or 7?"
In response to Reply # 1

Savannah, US

Thanks Ken,

What made you decide to replace the N5 with the N7?

Rich

kenuck Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2008Sun 10-Mar-13 04:06 PM
100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: So, SB-N5 or 7?"
In response to Reply # 2
Sun 10-Mar-13 04:23 PM by kenuck

Burnaby, CA

I would keep both - N7 if I need the power, N5 for portability and swivel flash. And I now have the 18.5mm f/1.8 lens to further extend their range.

I've also found I can fire my SB-600 remotely with an SU-4 trigger - heavier and more complicated setup though. GN 36 to 100 ft. depending on zoom setting.

Ken

Captain Rich Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Sun 10-Mar-13 07:07 PM
#4. "RE: So, SB-N5 or 7?"
In response to Reply # 3

Savannah, US

I usually set up my SB600 as a bounced slave unit when doing family photos inside, using CLS and one of my DSLR's. So, you're saying that with the SB-N5 and an SU-4 I could effectively have the same kind of setup - correct? Thanks for the info.

Rich

kenuck Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2008Sun 10-Mar-13 07:40 PM
#5. "RE: So, SB-N5 or 7?"
In response to Reply # 4

Burnaby, CA

I only tried a couple shots to see if it would fire. My understanding is that it has to be in manual mode, so you will probably have to play with exposures/power settings, etc.

Ken

Captain Rich Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Mon 11-Mar-13 12:16 AM
#6. "RE: So, SB-N5 or 7?"
In response to Reply # 5

Savannah, US

OK, thanks Ken. I think I'll get the SB-N5 and look into the SU-4. Appreciate the help.

Rich

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2855 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.