Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2838
View in linear mode

Subject: "V1 vs V2" Previous topic | Next topic
jerry r Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2008Wed 06-Mar-13 01:12 AM
701 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"V1 vs V2"

Banning, US

Anyone with the V2 long enough, who also has/had a V1 that can give some real word comparisons as to image quality - particularly noise?

JerryR

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: V1 vs V2
nwcs Silver Member
07th Mar 2013
jerry r Silver Member
07th Mar 2013
kenuck Silver Member
08th Mar 2013
jec6613 Silver Member
08th Mar 2013
jerry r Silver Member
08th Mar 2013
david_mathre Platinum Member
10th Mar 2013
PeterBeckett Gold Member
22nd Mar 2013
jerry r Silver Member
22nd Mar 2013
PeterBeckett Gold Member
22nd Mar 2013
PeterBeckett Gold Member
22nd Mar 2013
jerry r Silver Member
22nd Mar 2013
PeterBeckett Gold Member
22nd Mar 2013
nwcs Silver Member
22nd Mar 2013
jerry r Silver Member
22nd Mar 2013
ChristianF Gold Member
23rd Mar 2013
RRRoger Silver Member
13th Jul 2013
ChristianF Gold Member
23rd Mar 2013
nwcs Silver Member
23rd Mar 2013
david_mathre Platinum Member
23rd Mar 2013

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Thu 07-Mar-13 03:46 PM
6874 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: V1 vs V2"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

Hopefully one of our members who have experience with both will chime in. Until then maybe these links will help:

http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-1-V2-vs-Nikon-V1
http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/digital-slrs-hybrids/nikon-1-v2-1106497/review

jerry r Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2008Thu 07-Mar-13 05:35 PM
701 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: V1 vs V2"
In response to Reply # 1

Banning, US

Thanks, nwcs, I had looked at those sites. Unless I am misreading, snapsort may have some details mixed up between the two models.

Jerry

kenuck Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2008Fri 08-Mar-13 06:50 PM
102 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: V1 vs V2"
In response to Reply # 2
Fri 08-Mar-13 08:11 PM by kenuck

Burnaby, CA

Agreed, mixed up and/or just wrong. All of the Reasons to buy the V1 also apply to the V2: 60 fps (V2 actually slightly faster than V1 while retaining AF), high speed movies same, external mike jack same.

They claim the V2 doesn't support an external flash - it's the same as the V1 in this respect. They claim that both V1 and V2 have the "weakness" that they don't have touchscreens - sorry, this is a positive feature (IMHO). They dwell on the disadvantage of the small sensor but ignore the resulting decrease in size of the system's lenses. They claim neither camera has image stabilization - wrong, it's in the lenses. They claim the V2 has fewer AF points - both are the same hybrid system (73 phase detection/135 contrast detection). Obviously they've never used either camera.

They don't mention that the V2 supports an optional WiFi module via its USB port. Nor do they mention all the ergonomic improvements of the V2 vs the V1

They do say that noise is slightly less with the V2 (surprising) and something I've yet to confirm (I have both the V1 and V2 and haven't seen any significant difference in picture quality, but haven't done any rigorous testing either)

Ken

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Fri 08-Mar-13 08:15 PM
708 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: V1 vs V2"
In response to Reply # 3
Fri 08-Mar-13 08:17 PM by jec6613

Norwalk, US

They're very close:

Click Me

jerry r Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2008Fri 08-Mar-13 09:17 PM
#5. "RE: V1 vs V2"
In response to Reply # 4

Banning, US

My V2 is enroute from B&H. We are giving one of our V1's to our daughter. We will now have both a V1 and V2 to play with.

Jerry

david_mathre Platinum Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2006Sun 10-Mar-13 02:28 AM
530 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: V1 vs V2"
In response to Reply # 5

Skillman, US

I’ve been offline traveling for a while so late comment on this thread. I have the used both the V1 and V2 – both obtained close after product introductions. The V1 has been used for over 44K (raw) images and the V2 7.3K (raw) images. Ergonomically, the V2 is much easier to handle and has moved controls to better location on the top, and eliminated the toggle on the back. Down side, the images from the V2 often require more noise reduction during processing. I felt that the V1 images were equivalent to those I got on my D200 and would have been happy if the V2 kept the same sensor. The V1 uses the same battery as the D800, the V2 uses a different battery.

The V2 eliminated the interval timer shooting option. This was a major down side for me – but ended up being a positive in that I took my D800 to Norway last month to chase the Northern Lights. I was going to go lite and not take a DSLR. I got great images with the D800, and wished that I had my D3s along. The V2 did better than most P&S cameras capturing the Northern Lights but not anywhere close to what I got with the D800.

For traveling to locations with good light where I can use the base (160) ISO, I will continue to use the V2 and wish for an X (pro) version.

Before the trip to Norway I saw a post on the web about using an Olympus FCON-T01 fisheye converter with the Nikon 1 lenses. The Olympus converter uses the same 40.5 mm thread used by the Nikon 1 lenses – converting the Nikon 10 mm lens to a 7.5 mm lens (field of view equivalent to a 20 mm lens with a FX sensor).

DJM

Google+
"Images of the Day" PhotoBlog
My Nikonians Gallery
ShepArtPhotography Gallery

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Fri 22-Mar-13 03:53 PM
813 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: V1 vs V2"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 22-Mar-13 03:57 PM by PeterBeckett

San Jose, US

Hi Jerry,
That's a question which is on my mind too!

I received my 1V2 yesterday (from B&H) - and will add my comments to this thread as my conclusions develop. I've had a 1V1 for over a year but it hasn't had a whole lot of use apart from when on overseas trips for which I needed to "travel light".

I also have a D800 and D800E and will be comparing video from all four. I really don't think I'll bother to compare stills v the D800/E.

I "played with" the 1V2 for a few minutes using a 70-200/2.8G VRII. It behaved very well! Sometime next week, I might take that combination out to shoot shoreline birds. Heck, I might even hang the body off the back of a 400/2.8, gimbal-mounted on a really HD tripod! Just think of that. An equivalent to a 1080mm/2.8 prime lens, on a 14.2 Megapixel sensor, for birding! Stills and video - INCLUDING the ability to shoot very fast bursts! My only doubts revolve around relying on such an itsy-bitsy-teenie-weenie battery for camera functions, autofocus and VR. Yuk! Oh well, it'll be fun to check it all out!

Pete

jerry r Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2008Fri 22-Mar-13 04:41 PM
#8. "RE: V1 vs V2"
In response to Reply # 7
Fri 22-Mar-13 04:43 PM by jerry r

Banning, US

Hey, Pete

We'll be passing through San Jose on our way to Sacramento next week. We'll honk as we pass through.

Hope you will test the V1 directly vs the V2 also.

My basic camera is the D800 with a D600 backup.

Jerry R

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Fri 22-Mar-13 04:51 PM
813 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: V1 vs V2"
In response to Reply # 8

San Jose, US

Hi Jerry,
Please do! We're in the western "tongue" of SJ that is between Saratoga and Cupertino. When will you be nearby? Would you like to stop in for a chinwag and a cup of something?

I have a dear friend who lives in Elk Grove. We had lunch at the Tower Café in Sacramento last week. Excellent meal!

Pete

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Fri 22-Mar-13 04:54 PM
#10. "RE: V1 vs V2"
In response to Reply # 9

San Jose, US

Jerry,
I just looked up where Banning is - surely you'll go up i5 on your way to Sac'to, but if not, please drop in.

Pete

jerry r Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2008Fri 22-Mar-13 05:18 PM
#11. "RE: V1 vs V2"
In response to Reply # 10

Banning, US

Pete,

Normally we use I-5. We are stopping by Figueroa Mtn near Solvang for a couple of days to do some wild flower shooting and on to San Luis Obispo to RRS to check out a boo-boo my wife did to her BH-55 when she dropped her tripod.

Jerry

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Fri 22-Mar-13 05:31 PM
#12. "RE: V1 vs V2"
In response to Reply # 11

San Jose, US

Jerry,
This conversation is probably boring to others. Please send me a PM if you'd like to drop in - I'd like to meet you...

Pete

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Fri 22-Mar-13 06:14 PM
6874 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: V1 vs V2"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

You might find Thom Hogan's review of the V2 (just published) interesting:

http://www.sansmirror.com/cameras/a-note-about-camera-reviews/nikon-1-camera-reviews/nikon-v2-review.html

jerry r Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2008Fri 22-Mar-13 06:27 PM
#14. "RE: V1 vs V2"
In response to Reply # 13

Banning, US

Thanks nwcs. I'll check it out

ChristianF Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2007Sat 23-Mar-13 11:47 AM
284 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: V1 vs V2"

Montreal, CA

>You might find Thom Hogan's review of the V2 (just published)
>interesting:
>
>http://www.sansmirror.com/cameras/a-note-about-camera-reviews/nikon-1-camera-reviews/nikon-v2-review.html
>

Excellent review. I have not finished trying all my Nikkor lenses yet but, there are two that stand out so far: the DX 18-200mm focuses amazingly fast and is not that much more bulky than the 10-100mm PD itself even with the FT-1 on. Now, the 70-200mm f2.8 + TC20E III. That alone is worth the price of the kit (especially if you took advantage of the B&H $800 all inclusive package). Can't wait for better weather. With the proper support I suspect this combo will bring hours upon hours of pure enjoyment. As a compact size kit the V1/V2 may compare well with the 4/3's out there. But, as a long time Nikon user with several lenses, the FT-1 capability is what made me take the plunge.

Christian,
www.ChristianFritschi.com

Please visit my Gallery:

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 13-Jul-13 03:16 PM
3176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: V1 vs V2"
In response to Reply # 15

Monterey Bay, US

>>interesting:
>>
>>http://www.sansmirror.com/cameras/a-note-about-camera-reviews/nikon-1-camera-reviews/nikon-v2-review.html
>>
>Christian,<<<

Seems they made an error in observation.
My V1 does have an external mic input for Video.

Two reasons I will never buy a V2:
1. Won't fit in my pocket as easily as the V1.
2. Hate that little battery
and like using the same as D7100, D600, and D800.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ChristianF Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2007Sat 23-Mar-13 12:24 PM
284 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: V1 vs V2"

Montreal, CA

>You might find Thom Hogan's review of the V2 (just published)
>interesting:
>
>http://www.sansmirror.com/cameras/a-note-about-camera-reviews/nikon-1-camera-reviews/nikon-v2-review.html
>

I should also have added that we can only hope that the F button on the V1 will eventually serve the same enhanced functionality it serves on the V2. It seems to me this could be handled rather elegantly with a future firmware update.

Christian,
www.ChristianFritschi.com

Please visit my Gallery:

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Sat 23-Mar-13 05:18 PM
#17. "RE: V1 vs V2"
In response to Reply # 16

Knoxville, US

True. There is a lot that can be done with firmware but I don't know of any camera makers that really take advantage of that option. Meaningful firmware updates would add value to existing purchases but doesn't generate new purchases of cameras (so far as they are concerned). Just like the mandatory image review of the V1 could be turned off with a firmware update.

Maybe someday after the smartphone invasion eliminates compacts camera makers will give us more flexibility and firmware updates -- even at nominal costs.

david_mathre Platinum Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2006Sat 23-Mar-13 06:15 PM
530 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: V1 vs V2"
In response to Reply # 17

Skillman, US

I would love to see the interval timer turned back on for the V2 (available in the V1). Also, it would be great to have an auto bracketing mode since the Nikon 1 sensors don't have the 14 bit dynamic range of their bigger brother DSLR's. Both should be something that could be done with firmware. Unfortunately, I am also a cynic that Nikon doesn't have an incentive to do this.

DJM

"Images of the Day" PhotoBlog
My Nikonians Gallery
ShepArtPhotography Gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2838 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.