nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #282
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon V1 discounts" Previous topic | Next topic
Matto Silver Member  Glenwood, US  Nikonian since 20th Jan 2007 Sun 20-Nov-11 07:27 PM
667 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon V1 discounts"

I see where Adorama and B&H are offering rebates on a VI and 10-30 lens outfit($50) and the V1 and 10-30 and 30-110 lens outfit ($150). Is this because of lagging sales or is Nikon trying to build up some market share versus the competition?

Matthew

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon V1 discounts dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community
20th Nov 2011
Reply message RE: Nikon V1 discounts Len Shepherd Gold Member
20th Nov 2011
Reply message RE: Nikon V1 discounts TomCurious
21st Nov 2011
Reply message RE: Nikon V1 discounts Matto Silver Member
21st Nov 2011
Reply message RE: Nikon V1 discounts timpsm
22nd Nov 2011
Reply message RE: Nikon V1 discounts TomCurious
22nd Nov 2011
     Reply message RE: Nikon V1 discounts Matto Silver Member
22nd Nov 2011
Reply message RE: Nikon V1 discounts DougB Silver Member
22nd Nov 2011
Reply message RE: Nikon V1 discounts Ginsbury Gold Member
22nd Nov 2011
     Reply message RE: Nikon V1 discounts Ginsbury Gold Member
06th Dec 2011
          Reply message RE: Nikon V1 discounts RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit.
06th Dec 2011
               Reply message RE: Nikon V1 discounts RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit.
31st Dec 2011

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community   Lowden, US  Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006 Sun 20-Nov-11 08:13 PM
12192 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon V1 discounts"
In response to Reply # 0

This early in the cameras life cycle I would guess that they are just trying to promote the new system. This week is also the beginning of the holiday shopping season so discounting is not surprising.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Click on image to view larger version
Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Len Shepherd Gold Member  Yorkshire, UK  Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003 Sun 20-Nov-11 10:52 PM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon V1 discounts"
In response to Reply # 0

In the UK Nikon's suggested prices are being discounted by up to 15%.
Whether Nikon's UK prices are the same as USA is another topic.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

TomCurious   Bay Area, US  Registered since 03rd Jan 2007 Mon 21-Nov-11 07:11 PM
2348 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon V1 discounts"
In response to Reply # 0

Thank you so much for letting us know! Your post saved me $150!

I already bought mine last week, but I contacted the dealer today and they cheerfully refunded $150 retroactively on my purchase.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

Matto Silver Member  Glenwood, US  Nikonian since 20th Jan 2007 Mon 21-Nov-11 11:40 PM
667 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon V1 discounts"
In response to Reply # 3

Tom
Glad I could help save you $150. I ordered the V1 with the 10-30 and 30-110 lens kit from B&H yesterday for $996.95. It should be here tomorrow. I am looking forward to using it. I thought about the flash unit, and maybe I should have gotten one while I was ordering, but I am hoping that Nikon comes up with a more powerful unit later.

Matthew

timpsm   Salt Spring Island, CA  Registered since 17th Sep 2010 Tue 22-Nov-11 03:46 AM
416 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon V1 discounts"
In response to Reply # 0

I expect they are getting significant price resistance from the general public who really don't see the value at a $900+ price point.

I have to say I wasn't sure why I would choose the Series 1 over some of the fancier P&S models from other manufacturers, it did not look like it was worth twice the price.

I was at a Nikon dealer in Alberta over the weekend and they had a Series 1 displayed alongside a 3100, a 5100 and a 7000. The Series 1 looked like a lot less camera than any of them, but a price well over the 3100 and 5100.

The dealer himself said that the Series 1 didn't make sense, that I should either buy a high-end P&S or a D3100 or D5100 or, if my budge was $1K, a Canon 60D.

tim

TomCurious   Bay Area, US  Registered since 03rd Jan 2007 Tue 22-Nov-11 06:33 AM
2348 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon V1 discounts"
In response to Reply # 5

The premium is for portability. This may not make sense to all of us or to your dealer but it sure makes sense for some. I'm on a trip now with my small kids and enjoy this portabity tremendously. One camera and 3 lenses, all in a pack the size of a cheeseburger box. On my last trip I took a DSLR with one lens and it mostly stayed in the car or motel. The V1 comes along everywhere. And it runs circles around Point and Shoot cameras. But of course it won't replace my DSLR. If I could have only one camera it would not be a V1.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

Matto Silver Member  Glenwood, US  Nikonian since 20th Jan 2007 Tue 22-Nov-11 03:05 PM
#7. "RE: Nikon V1 discounts"
In response to Reply # 6

Tom
I think you share my reasoning about getting the V1. I think it is still a bit pricey, even with the discount. However, I agree that it is far more likely to be with me than my D90 or D300 with my 16-85VR and 70-300VR lenses. I often lug the D90 or D300 with those lenses on prolonged hikes, and as have I gotten older I feel the weight more. I also think I will take the V1 with me to places where the larger cameras will an encumbrance, and a P&S inadequate. I hope that the limitations of the V1 that others have mentioned will be an acceptable trade off for small size and light weight. It will be here this afternoon, so I will see.

Matthew

DougB Silver Member  Erin, US  Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005 Tue 22-Nov-11 05:05 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Nikon V1 discounts"
In response to Reply # 0

If you have a Discover card, you can log on to your account,
go to ShopDiscover. From there log on to Ritz Camera and get
a 5% cash back. No sales tax, no shipping. My net on the 2 lens
package $947.

I'm a happy camper. Unfortunately the boss says I can't open
them until my latest project is finished. Tough when your wife
is your business partner. I was smart enough to let her run the
company and I do the techie stuff.

So, getting back to work now...

Doug, n9kg
"Document my code? Why do you think they call it code?"

Ginsbury Gold Member  Netanya, IL  Nikonian since 21st Sep 2008 Tue 22-Nov-11 07:35 PM
371 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Nikon V1 discounts"
In response to Reply # 8

Thank you, Nikonians, specifically Matthew for the information about the reduced prices and Tom for the idea of contacting the retailer.

I had purchased the N1 with the 10-30 and 30-110 from B&H. Sent them an email and have just received a reply to the effect that the difference will be refunded to my account within 3-5 days.

That's money that will go towards the flash unit or the FT1 adapter that I had been unable to afford.

And so, repeated thanks, Matthew and Tom.

BR
Nathan

Ginsbury Gold Member  Netanya, IL  Nikonian since 21st Sep 2008 Tue 06-Dec-11 10:44 AM
371 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Nikon V1 discounts"
In response to Reply # 9

>Thank you, Nikonians, specifically Matthew for the
>information about the reduced prices and Tom for the idea of
>contacting the retailer.
>
>I had purchased the N1 with the 10-30 and 30-110 from B&H.
> Sent them an email and have just received a reply to the
>effect that the difference will be refunded to my account
>within 3-5 days.
>
>That's money that will go towards the flash unit or the FT1
>adapter that I had been unable to afford.
>
>And so, repeated thanks, Matthew and Tom.
>
>BR
>Nathan

In continuation of the above, and for the record, B&H did NOT refund $150 but only $60. When I queried this, I was told that I would have to return the items and repurchase them to receive the balance of the refund. Needless to say, I did not do that, particularly as the said "bundle" was "temporarily unavailable" at that point. Ah well!

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit.   Monterey Bay, US  Charter Member Tue 06-Dec-11 03:31 PM
3186 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Nikon V1 discounts"
In response to Reply # 10
Tue 06-Dec-11 03:42 PM by RRRoger

I would NOT have a V1 sitting in front of me without the discounts.

I saved $250 on camera and 3 lens.
That and the time limit on the instant rebates tipped the scales.
Plus B&H offered a "no quivel return".

I think Nikon has a surplus inventory and wants to get the cameras "out there".
Very few stores even have demo cameras.
Most are selling by order and cannot afford to stock much inventory.
So, get a few N1 cameras in users hands and word of mouth will spread.

I created a lot of interest when I showed up to VideoGraph our Church Service with a new V1.
I think that DVD will be checked out a lot.
Except for minor blown highlights, it compares favorably with the D5100.
Next week I will "film" at my HD1080P @30fps D5100 settings & -.07EV instead of the lowest V1 video settings.
I wanted to try out 720P at 60fps and the 29.9 minute recording time.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit.   Monterey Bay, US  Charter Member Sat 31-Dec-11 03:21 PM
3186 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Nikon V1 discounts"
In response to Reply # 11

The discounts may be working?
The time limit has passed and they have been continued at B&H

My second V1 video was a success.
Here is a clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vZLA8daCUw

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #282 Previous topic | Next topic