Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2809
View in linear mode

Subject: "Question for a Friend" Previous topic | Next topic
Blufox Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Feb 2007Wed 27-Feb-13 12:44 AM
656 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Question for a Friend"

Nampa, US

A Japanese friend of mine is considering buying a V1, and I am wondering if this is the right camera to meet her needs? She wants it to aid with her business, which is selling antiques, and frequently takes photos indoors with natural light. She also wants to have the ability to take macro. Will this camera meet her needs? Do you know of another one that might be better?

She does want the ability to change lenses, so something like the new Fuji X20 is out.

Thanks in advance!
Larry

"Every moment in life is unique and will never be repeated. These are the moments that present the greatest opportunity for a photographer..."

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Question for a Friend
jec6613 Silver Member
27th Feb 2013
briantilley Moderator
27th Feb 2013
Blufox Silver Member
27th Feb 2013
jbloom Gold Member
27th Feb 2013
Captain Rich Silver Member
27th Feb 2013
nwcs Silver Member
27th Feb 2013
Covey22 Moderator
27th Feb 2013

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Wed 27-Feb-13 07:58 AM
645 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Question for a Friend"
In response to Reply # 0

Norwalk, US

There are currently no Micro Nikkors for the 1 mount cameras, so she'd have to use a 40 mm DX and an FT1 adapter or similar to get macro performance.

The V1 isn't a terrible choice, but the flash options are a bit restrictive in the event she needs a flash, and it's not as flexible as it could be nor is the IQ where it could be. I'd expect a D3100 to do a better job, with the 18-55 kit lens having decent macro reproduction out of the box, and of course is capable of using any F mount lens. If you focus in live view mode, there's really not much of a difference in handling for static subjects.

The V1's big selling point is that it's a relatively pocket-able mirrorless camera with phase detect autofocus similar to a DSLR, and neither of those selling points jump out as something you'd want in a camera for product shots. On the other hand, off camera flashes, ability to use micro Nikkor lenses and so on definitely are things she'd care about, so a cheap DSLR is probably a better bet.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 27-Feb-13 08:34 AM
28674 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Question for a Friend"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

There are no CX-format macro lenses currently, but I think the answer depends on what your friend means by "macro". How small are the items she wishes to photograph?

The 10-30mm Nikon 1 lens focuses down to 0.2 metres, and with a maximum reproduction ratio of 1:4.7, can fill the frame with a subject about 61mm across (that's just under 2.5 inches).

The Fujifilm X-Pro 1 or X-E1 might be an alternative, thopugh they are quite a bit larger than the V1. Fuji offer a 60mm macro lens that goes down to a ratio of 1:2, meaning that its DX-size ferame can be filled with a subject about 48mm across.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Blufox Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Feb 2007Wed 27-Feb-13 11:11 AM
656 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Question for a Friend"
In response to Reply # 2

Nampa, US

Thanks, guys!

She is looking for doing close ups of material to show detail of the stitching in some of her products, so she definitely does not need a 'true' macro lens, just one that will allow for detailed close-ups.

How is the V1 in natural light? She says that sometimes it isn't very bright in the room, and yet she still wants to use natural light and be able to photograph items in their natural color. She loved my X100 when I was with her this past November, but that is probably a little more than she wants to spend, although it might ultimately be the one that she goes for.

She has been using a D40, but is now going to give that to her daughter and buy a new camera.
Larry

"Every moment in life is unique and will never be repeated. These are the moments that present the greatest opportunity for a photographer..."

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Wed 27-Feb-13 11:35 AM
6048 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Question for a Friend"
In response to Reply # 3
Wed 27-Feb-13 11:39 AM by jbloom

Wethersfield, US

>How is the V1 in natural light?

About the same as her D40.

>She loved my X100 when I was with her this past
>November, but that is probably a little more than she wants to
>spend, although it might ultimately be the one that she goes
>for.

You said she wanted to be able to change lenses?

>She has been using a D40, but is now going to give that to her
>daughter and buy a new camera.

What is her motivation for buying a new camera? If she's looking for an upgrade in quality over her D40, the V1 won't give it to her. The image quality of the V1 is in the same ballpark as that of the D40. If she's willing to stick with a Nikon DSLR, any of the current or recent models will be an upgrade over the D40. If she wants a camera smaller than a DSLR but with better image quality than her D40 and interchangeable lenses, she might want to look at the m4/3 offerings. You'll find lots of good information about those at Sans Mirror.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Captain Rich Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Wed 27-Feb-13 11:45 AM
1179 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Question for a Friend"
In response to Reply # 3

Savannah, US

Personally, I think low light is the v1's weakness. Small sensor, low light = noise. It may be because I only have the 10-30 kit lens, though; it's slow. The only real low light lens for the V1 is the 18.5 f/1.8, which i don't have, and have been reluctant to buy until I decide whether to keep the V1.

I think a small body Nikon DSLR with the 35mm f/1.8 would be a more cost effective and more versatile system for her.

Rich

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Wed 27-Feb-13 03:41 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Question for a Friend"
In response to Reply # 3

Knoxville, US

I understand wanting to use natural light, it's beautiful! But you might consider advising her to use an OTT light to supplement the natural light. It's a daylight balanced light source.

The V1 is fine in natural light, like any other camera, but is not so great above ISO 800. Workable, of course, but not as high quality. If she's used to the D40 she might consider the D3200.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberWed 27-Feb-13 05:58 PM
10564 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Question for a Friend"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I'm a big believer in natural lighting, but I think to do justice, your friend should consider buying an inexpensive desktop light tent and shooting her product shots in there. The lighting would be easily controlled and she would have a seamless background as a bonus. This solution would be neutral to picking a mirrorless vs DSLR.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2809 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.