nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

V1 plus FT-1 a little less compelling?

jbloom

Wethersfield, US
7668 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004
Sat 23-Feb-13 10:54 AM | edited Sat 23-Feb-13 12:02 PM by jbloom

Edit: I just now realized that the D3200 and D5200 are also 24-MP DX cameras, so this isn't a new situation. Serves me right for not paying attention to the low end of the DSLR line! But the reasoning is still valid, I think.

One of the things that has been enticing about the V1 I got during the initial fire-sale pricing a few months ago has been using it with a long lens and the FT-1 to get some amazing telephoto performance. Its effective focal length (crop factor) outstrips anything in the Nikon DSLR world. The D800 was the resolution king of the DSLR world, and even if you cropped a D800 image down to the central 10 megapixels, the size of the V1 image, the effective crop factor was only 1.9x compared to the 2.7x of the V1. (And the cost difference, well....)

But there is a new DSLR resolution king: the D7100. If you crop its 6000 x 4000 image down to the central 10 megapixels you get an effective crop factor of about 2.4. That's only slightly less than the V1/FT-1 value. But for that slightly less crop factor you gain full autofocus, including AF-C mode, plus other DSLR goodness. To me, the AF advantage easily outweighs the slight crop-factor difference. Put it this way: Would you rather have your 300 f/4 be an 810-mm equivalent with single-point AF-S focusing or a 720-mm equivalent with 51-point AF-C focusing? Then factor in such differences as 7 fps and no viewfinder lag with the D7100.

Now, I realize there are a number of caveats here. What will be the quality of a D7100's central 10 megapixels compared to the V1? We don't know yet. And for those who are buying new, there's a substantial price difference. Also, the V2 and J3 are 14-MP, upping the Nikon 1 system's game. But I already have the V1, so that's the comparison that interests me. (For those who want to compare the V2/J3, note that the central 14 MP of the D7100 represents about a 2x crop factor.)

I'm not going to throw away my V1 and FT-1 by any means. For one thing, there's the little matter of $1200 to switch to the D7100. But for those who are looking to the Nikon 1 series as a means of stretching out their long lenses, the gap has just narrowed considerably.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: V1 plus FT-1 a little less compelling?

G