Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2752
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB-N7 release date?" Previous topic | Next topic
NoLastCalls Registered since 09th Feb 2013Thu 14-Feb-13 04:55 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB-N7 release date?"

US

Hello everyone. I just go a V1 and I am entirely new to photography. I want to get a flash, and have been waiting for that SB-N7 to be released. Does anyone know what the hold up is? Is there a big difference between the SB-N5 and the SB-N7? Thanks!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SB-N7 release date?
briantilley Moderator
14th Feb 2013
NoLastCalls
14th Feb 2013
jec6613 Silver Member
14th Feb 2013
briantilley Moderator
15th Feb 2013
nwcs Silver Member
15th Feb 2013
jec6613 Silver Member
15th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: SB-N7 release date? In stock at Adorama
caver3d
03rd Mar 2013

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 14-Feb-13 05:05 PM
28679 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB-N7 release date?"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

I couldn't say why there might be a delay. It's of no use to you, but the SB-N7 is in stock at UK retailers.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

NoLastCalls Registered since 09th Feb 2013Thu 14-Feb-13 05:25 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB-N7 release date?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Ok, thanks!

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Thu 14-Feb-13 10:26 PM
645 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB-N7 release date?"
In response to Reply # 0

Norwalk, US

The differences between the SB-N5 and SB-N7 are pretty simple:

- The SB-N7 has about twice the GN (59 ft vs 27.9 ft) and a wide angle panel.

- The SB-N5 can swivel horizontally.

Not a whole lot of differences, to be honest.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Fri 15-Feb-13 08:41 AM
28679 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: SB-N7 release date?"
In response to Reply # 3

Paignton, GB

One further difference (which may or may not be important) is that the SB-N7 is powered by two AAA-size batteries, whereas the SB-N5 is powered from the camera. The SB-N7 can also tilt upwards beyound the vertical (to 120 degrees) but the SB-N5 - although as you say it can swivel horizontally) is limited to 90 degrees vertical tilt.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Fri 15-Feb-13 12:56 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: SB-N7 release date?"
In response to Reply # 4

Knoxville, US

I wonder if having the flash with batteries will keep VR functional during shots? I don't use flash with my V1 so I can't test but on the DSLR bodies the flash that uses camera battery stops VR until the flash has recharged. Having batteries could bypass that problem.

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Fri 15-Feb-13 03:44 PM
645 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: SB-N7 release date?"
In response to Reply # 5

Norwalk, US

>I wonder if having the flash with batteries will keep VR
>functional during shots? I don't use flash with my V1 so I
>can't test but on the DSLR bodies the flash that uses camera
>battery stops VR until the flash has recharged. Having
>batteries could bypass that problem.

I had never noticed that before - although I was never hammering the built-in flash hard enough for it to be an issue, I would only do that with an external flash - so I decided to try it. No, my camera (D5100) happily powers the VR while charging after a full power flash dump, you can hear it and the viewfinder image is clearly stabilized, even while the lens is also focusing; so this is clearly not the case for every body.

Anyway, while the V1 uses the EN-EL15 battery with 1900 mAh, the V2 uses the EN-EL21 at 1485 mAh, so the externally powered flash may have quite a bit to do with the inability for the V2's battery to have the type of capacity that a more external flash really needs, while the V1 does. The V1 of course uses the EN-EL20 with its 1020 mAh (why they didn't just use the EN-EL14, which is roughly the same size and capacity, I have no idea ... "Right hand, this is left, we haven't talked in a while and we should get together.")

caver3d Registered since 03rd Mar 2013Sun 03-Mar-13 03:14 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: SB-N7 release date? In stock at Adorama"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Adorama has the SB-N7 in stock. I ordered it just over a week ago and received it yesterday. Nice.

caver3d

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2752 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.