Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2751
View in linear mode

Subject: "barrel distortion with 10-30" Previous topic | Next topic
bonjonno Registered since 12th Feb 2013Thu 14-Feb-13 04:40 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"barrel distortion with 10-30"

US

I've had my V1 kit for a week now and am very impressed by the IQ. Got it with the 10-30 and 30-110 lenses. I took a picture this morning with alot of straight perpendicular lines in it and noticed pretty bad barrel distortion at the widest setting (10mm). Is there an adjustment for this anywhere? I've combed the menu and can't find anything. I know my Pentax and Canon SLRs have it. Or is there something in the software if I shoot RAW images to correct it?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Thu 14-Feb-13 10:29 PM
603 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: barrel distortion with 10-30"
In response to Reply # 0

Norwalk, US

The V2 adds distortion correction in-body, but the V1 does not have it.

Capture NX 2 can remove the distortion if you shoot raw.

bonjonno Registered since 12th Feb 2013Thu 14-Feb-13 10:56 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: barrel distortion with 10-30"
In response to Reply # 1

US

OK. Thanks much for the info.

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Fri 15-Feb-13 12:54 PM
6804 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: barrel distortion with 10-30"
In response to Reply # 2

Knoxville, US

View NX, Capture NX, Lightroom, Photoshop, DXO are some of the products out there that can correct for distortion. PTLens is an old favorite, too. Raw is best when it comes to post camera distortion correction since you have more data to work with.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 13-Jul-13 03:49 PM
3086 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: barrel distortion with 10-30"
In response to Reply # 3

Monterey Bay, US

Although it does not bother me too much,
I found the best solution to barrel distortion at 10mm
is to put the 10mm f/2.8 lens on instead.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2751 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.