Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2682
View in linear mode

Subject: "My V1 Arrived" Previous topic | Next topic
DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Mon 28-Jan-13 03:51 PM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"My V1 Arrived"

Phoenix, US

So far so good. I'm impressed overall with the quality of the camera but I didn't get too many opportunities over the week end to try it out as it rained pretty much the whole time (quite usual for Phoenix.) Here are a couple from my attempt at a hike from my house into the desert.
_

Water pouring into a retention area at the end of the street.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: My V1 Arrived
Covey22 Moderator
28th Jan 2013
DeanAZ Moderator
29th Jan 2013
richardd300 Silver Member
29th Jan 2013
Antero52 Silver Member
12th Feb 2013
DeanAZ Moderator
12th Feb 2013
jmiguez Silver Member
12th Feb 2013
wfmcgrath3
29th Jan 2013
29th Jan 2013
jmiguez Silver Member
02nd Feb 2013
charita
02nd Feb 2013
jmiguez Silver Member
02nd Feb 2013
JonK Moderator
12th Feb 2013
12th Feb 2013
Captain Rich Silver Member
16th Feb 2013
charita
16th Feb 2013

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberMon 28-Jan-13 04:55 PM
10623 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: My V1 Arrived"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Love the 2nd frame!

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Tue 29-Jan-13 01:54 AM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: My V1 Arrived"
In response to Reply # 1

Phoenix, US

Thanks, Armando. I'm having fun so far.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Tue 29-Jan-13 10:20 AM
3344 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: My V1 Arrived"
In response to Reply # 2

Dyserth, GB

Terrific frame 2, enjoy your V1

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Tue 12-Feb-13 01:19 PM
2504 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: My V1 Arrived"
In response to Reply # 1

Vantaa, FI

Like Armando, I like #2, but in #1 the horizon is horribly tilted :)

Regards, Antero

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Tue 12-Feb-13 03:34 PM
#10. "RE: My V1 Arrived"
In response to Reply # 9

Phoenix, US

I guess I can blame the tilted horizon on the V1 as it does not have a built-in horizon indicator. I don't see how anyone could possible take a level photo without the camera telling me what is straight or if the image is violating the Rule of Thirds.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Tue 12-Feb-13 07:52 PM
482 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: My V1 Arrived"
In response to Reply # 10

Lafayette, US

>I guess I can blame the tilted horizon on the V1 as it does
>not have a built-in horizon indicator. I don't see how anyone
>could possible take a level photo without the camera telling
>me what is straight or if the image is violating the Rule of
>Thirds.

Dean, You can turn on a grid. I have it on. I forget where in the menu it is located, but I know it is plainly marked.

John

My Pictures may be seen here: http://jmiguez.smugmug.com/

wfmcgrath3 Registered since 26th Feb 2012Tue 29-Jan-13 02:23 PM
77 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: My V1 Arrived"
In response to Reply # 0

Livingston, US

Yup, that was quite the wet weekend. We're camped out in our RV at the Fort McDowell RV park. My V1 is due to arrive tomorrow. Just for the fun of it, I'm putting my unused D800 strap on it and hope to get in some desert shooting later this week. Bought Hogan's book on the subject, so I think I'm prepared. I'll be using the V1 in aperture priority mode, I'm guessing, but haven't yet decided on the focus mode/area questions yet. Also ordered the yet-to-be-released SB-N7 flash unit. Once that arrives, I'll be doing some cat shooting at Fearless Kitty Rescue without the D800/pro-glass/SB-910 overkill.

Creating images the new-fashioned way!

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Tue 29-Jan-13 02:40 PM
3344 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: My V1 Arrived"
In response to Reply # 4

Dyserth, GB

Enjoy your new V1, versatile and good fun too. Look forward to seeing some images. Not sure about a D800 strap on a V1 though

Richard

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Sat 02-Feb-13 12:55 AM
482 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: My V1 Arrived"
In response to Reply # 4
Sat 02-Feb-13 12:57 AM by jmiguez

Lafayette, US

I have used my V1 in both the single point mode and multi (matrix) mode. I find it to work well in both. So far, I have only used it in aperture priority.

I have found something interesting with the camera. I am able to shoot at much lower speeds than with the D7000 and D700 and still get adequate sharpness. I don't know if it is the VR or the lower resolution, but I can often get a decent shot at 1/20 sec and lower hand-holding with the 10-110mm lens.

Now, the shots I have been taking are not "blow-me-up" or contest quality shots. They are snapshots I have been taking in the fabrication building of my business. We have been load testing some equipment and I have been recording the testing. Some have been outdoors and some indoors.

I have been trying to use it in different settings to learn it better. I will also be writing a review for my local camera club, so the testing is with that in mind.

I still find the half second or so where the eyepiece shots the last shot and not the scene to be annoying. So, if you want several shots of the same subject, I suggest to rapid fire the camera. It can take an amazing number of shots in a short period. This also helps get a sharp shot when the speed is low.

John

charita Registered since 26th Jul 2009Sat 02-Feb-13 04:52 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: My V1 Arrived"
In response to Reply # 6

US

>I still find the half second or so where the eyepiece shots
>the last shot and not the scene to be annoying.

I have noted that the Playback menu allows one to cancel the image preview, so the viewfinder always shows the viewed image. Of course, one is unable to view the picture taken until the Playback button is pressed.

Attachment #1, ( file)

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Sat 02-Feb-13 06:52 PM
#8. "RE: My V1 Arrived"
In response to Reply # 7
Sat 02-Feb-13 06:54 PM by jmiguez

Lafayette, US

>>I still find the half second or so where the eyepiece
>shots
>>the last shot and not the scene to be annoying.
>
>I have noted that the Playback menu allows one to cancel the
>image preview, so the viewfinder always shows the viewed
>image. Of course, one is unable to view the picture taken
>until the Playback button is pressed.

Ohhhh thanks, good tip! I never review in the eye view anyway. I will turn that setting off.

And, welcome to Nikonians.

John

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Tue 12-Feb-13 05:27 PM
4572 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: My V1 Arrived"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

Dean — did you buy the FT-1 adapter?

John — I too find I can handhold at lower speeds than my DSLRs. I think the form factor — so small and light — allows us to hold with much less camera movement.

There's a current thread where Dan Walk shot birds with an effective length of 1350mm at 1/125 and got nice, sharp captures.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Tue 12-Feb-13 06:02 PM
#12. "RE: My V1 Arrived"
In response to Reply # 11
Tue 12-Feb-13 06:03 PM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

Jon. Thanks for leading me also to Dan's latest work with his V1. We have been bouncing ideas off each other as we own V1's and 300mm f4's for a few months now. I have had some successes, but Dan's the man when it comes to the actual image quality so far.

I shall have to work much harder

Richard

Captain Rich Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Sat 16-Feb-13 05:44 PM
1186 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: My V1 Arrived"
In response to Reply # 12

Savannah, US

"I have noted that the Playback menu allows one to cancel the image preview, so the viewfinder always shows the viewed image. Of course, one is unable to view the picture taken until the Playback button is pressed."

I didn't find that in my Playback Menu. Is it because I'm still on firmware version 1.20? Thanks.

Rich

charita Registered since 26th Jul 2009Sat 16-Feb-13 11:26 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: My V1 Arrived"
In response to Reply # 14

US

Re cancelling the the image playback, I was referring to the Nikon V2, which has that menu option. Sorry for the confusion.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2682 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.