Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2657
View in linear mode

Subject: "V1/V2 Pros, Cons & Best Use Cases??" Previous topic | Next topic
walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Wed 23-Jan-13 11:29 AM
706 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"V1/V2 Pros, Cons & Best Use Cases??"
Wed 23-Jan-13 11:31 AM by walk43

Pennsylvania, US

Hi Everyone,

After a few months with the V1, and reading lots of comments, I thought I would suggest that we start a collection of our experiences (actual vs speculated)regarding the V1 (or V2 where similar) to aid others in their purchase/use of the Nikon V series.

I suggest that we break the list into 3 sections that compares the V Series to ANY other camera you have used. Keep it simple and if your comment is not clear I am sure that others will chime in with questions, agreements or challenges. Lets keep it professional (as always on Nikonians). Also state whether your experience is specific to a V1 or V2.

Pros can include 'form factor' like small and easy to carry or 'tech capability' like 2.7 crop factor or 'functional advantages' like ability to use DSLR lenses with an adapter (FT1 or other). Can operate totally silent...etc.

Cons can include 'Form factor'....'tech cabability' etc. like slow focus with non-Nikon 1 lenses or high noise in low light with DSLR lenses. Or lack of a hot shoe for more flash capabilities, etc.

Use Cases can include: Macro capabilities providing more DOF at the same FOV as DSLR's. High frame (burst) rates/sec for sports or action shots. Video. Wildlife/birds with the 2.7 crop. Indoors at museums, graduations etc, (silent, low light) etc, etc.

The Sections I suggest are:

1. Pros
2. Cons
3. Best Use Cases (where it serves you well and has a unique ability for your type of use and experience level)
4. Comments: Elabotate (if you wish) on 'why' you state the above.

In your posts just list 1 or all 3 categories with your comments and "actual" experiences with the camera....not what you have heard from others.

Below is a suggested format for your response (remember these are your actual experiences and advantages/disadvantages to you!!)

Model: V1
- Pros: 2.7 crop factor for reach
- Cons: no built in flash
- Best Use Cases: Vacations, outdoor picnics, wildlife, macro

= Comments: Elabotate (if you wish) on 'why' you state the above.

If this thread is a bad idea I am sure that it will just slowly 'die on the vine' or ....maybe become a 'flaming' topic. If you want to add a comment(s) please do so at the bottom of your post.

Dan
(Nikon D800, V2 & Sony HX400V SuperZoom)
"My most rewarding photos are those that capture something I didn't 'see' in the viewfinder....so just SHOOT."

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

kenuck Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2008Fri 25-Jan-13 01:14 AM
101 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: V1/V2 Pros, Cons & Best Use Cases??"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 25-Jan-13 05:05 PM by kenuck

Burnaby, CA

My primary uses for the V1 (first) and now the V2 (I gave the V1 to my wife) are for:
1. Travel camera - primarily scenic shots though some wild animals requiring a long reach lens
2. Thai dance and theater performances
3. Flowers
4. Family gatherings

I started with a Nikon F about 45 years ago then to a succession of Nikon consumer cameras. Most recently I used a Sony R1 (DX fixed lens, EVF) and finally a Nikon D300. Over the last 30 years I've used a number of expensive Sony video cameras ending with a Canon HD camera. I'm not able to afford high end Nikon glass so I currently have a Nikkor 18-200, Sigma 10-20 and Sigma 150-500 and a Nikkor 300mm AF D.
On the V1/V2 I have the 10-30 and 30-110 lenses, the FT1 and GPS.

Outputs for me are 4x6 to 8x12 prints but mostly slide/video on a HD TV.

With that context...
Pro for the V1/V2 -
1. Small system form factor (camera and lenses) - I found the D300 and its big lenses just too much to carry and use.
2. Crop factor enables me to get a narrower FOV with a 300mm lens (and FT1) than with the 500mm on the D300 - less weight, potentially better handling (still waiting for a native 300mm though)
3. Great video with simultaneous full resolution stills (essential for live performances) - and its quiet. Almost impossible to get all of the performance with the camcorder while getting stills with the D300.
4. Fast/accurate AF (under good light) and consequent high hit rate. Much better than the Sony R1 under all lighting conditions
5. V2's ergonomics much improved, though the Sony R1 with it's dedicated ISO button the best I've seen
6. High DOF - good for video. Results comparable to the HD Canon camcorder, though zooming easier with the camcorder.
7. Slow motion video is fun with pets and birds - a little higher resolution would be nice though, even if not as high a frame rate

Con for V1/V2
1. Relatively poor high ISO performance coupled with few fast native lenses (hopefully this will change)
2. V1's quirky ergonomics
3. V2's 14mp - they should have stayed with 10mp and worked on improving the ISO performance
4. Fixed display screen (I like the tilting display on the Sony R1 which allows for low angle shots - flower shots without lying in the mud)
5. All the flash options are weak (this will improve somewhat with the N7 flash)
6. Poor subject isolation with slow native zoom lenses - though this will improve with faster prime lenses

Best Use Cases
It suits pretty much all of my needs (with limits). The D300 and Canon camcorder reside in a drawer most of the time now.

Ken

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2657 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.