Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2645
View in linear mode

Subject: "Corrupt rows of pixel across the pictures" Previous topic | Next topic
petterf Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Nov 2008Mon 21-Jan-13 01:15 AM
132 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Corrupt rows of pixel across the pictures"

SE

I bought a second hand J1 a month ago which have begun showing annoying lines across the pictures. I took test pictures then but I did not see anything like this. A week ago there was only 2 out of 100 pictures with lines. Todays it's 1 in 3...

Never on the same position. Sometimes one line. Other times repetitive lines with a constant space between them.

First I thought it was the Eye-fi card going bad but I then swopped cards and other show the same lines.

Bad DSP and/or corrupt internal memory?

I've asked Nikon Support but not received a reply yet.

Petter
-Ever wondered where gadgets go when they die?

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Corrupt rows of pixel across the pictures
nwcs Silver Member
21st Jan 2013
FredB D3 Silver Member
21st Jan 2013
petterf Silver Member
21st Jan 2013
FredB D3 Silver Member
21st Jan 2013
petterf Silver Member
25th Jan 2013
petterf Silver Member
19th Feb 2013
FredB D3 Silver Member
19th Feb 2013
petterf Silver Member
19th Feb 2013
nwcs Silver Member
19th Feb 2013
nwcs Silver Member
19th Feb 2013
jbloom Gold Member
19th Feb 2013

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Mon 21-Jan-13 03:43 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Corrupt rows of pixel across the pictures"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

The only times I've seen things like this the imaging sensor was at fault. I haven't heard of any reports of the Nikon 1 series showing this but I have seen other DSLRs like the Nikon D50, D70, and D700 having lines across the image.

FredB D3 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2008Mon 21-Jan-13 05:29 PM
868 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Corrupt rows of pixel across the pictures"
In response to Reply # 0

Potomac, US

Hi Petter,

I am sorry to hear of this problem.

If it were the sensor itself (or individual light sensors, as with "hot" pixels), I would not expect the position of the line(s) to vary. It seems the lines are being generated on a random basis during image processing, as I think you are suggesting in your question. Do you also see the lines in live view and/or when viewing the image on the camera's screen, or only on your computer screen after downloading the file? That information might provide some additional insight.

Please let us know what Nikon Support (Sweden?) says.

Fred
Maryland, USA

petterf Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Nov 2008Mon 21-Jan-13 06:49 PM
132 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Corrupt rows of pixel across the pictures"
In response to Reply # 2

SE

I do not see the lines in LV. Only post when displayed on camera or on computer and both in jpeg and nef so it seems to be something wrong during readout from sensor or post processing before writing it to the SD card.

I gave Nikon Sweden a visit with the body for service after their support staff recommended me to do so. It's great to live just a mile away from the HQ & Service center

Anyway, it will be intresting to see if they will service it under warranty or not since it's a second hand unit.

Petter

FredB D3 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2008Mon 21-Jan-13 07:15 PM
868 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Corrupt rows of pixel across the pictures"
In response to Reply # 3

Potomac, US

Hi Petter,

FWIW, my experience has been in the US that warranties generally are not transferrable. Some can be, but that, along with any conditions for transfer, is spelled out in the original warranty.

Good to hear that a resolution is at hand. I hope the costs and service will be more satisfactory than not for you.

Fred
Maryland, USA

petterf Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Nov 2008Fri 25-Jan-13 08:46 PM
#5. "RE: Corrupt rows of pixel across the pictures"
In response to Reply # 4

SE

I asked Nikon for an estimate before service but they now state on their web that they are awaiting spare parts.

Intresting to see if this means they do the work under warranty or if they missed the estimate part.

Petter

petterf Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Nov 2008Tue 19-Feb-13 08:14 AM
#6. "RE: Corrupt rows of pixel across the pictures"
In response to Reply # 5

SE

OK here's an update.

Nikon serviced the J1 under warranty
They replaced the 1B061-344 Image Sensor Unit. Though the shutter count was not reset.

Petter

FredB D3 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2008Tue 19-Feb-13 11:15 AM
#7. "RE: Corrupt rows of pixel across the pictures"
In response to Reply # 6

Potomac, US

Hi Petter,

Good to hear it was taken care of under warranty.

>They replaced the 1B061-344 Image Sensor Unit.

Hmmm. I wonder what all is included in the "Unit?"

>Though the
>shutter count was not reset.

I'm guessing that's because the shutter was not replaced?

Fred
Maryland, USA

petterf Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Nov 2008Tue 19-Feb-13 01:28 PM
#9. "RE: Corrupt rows of pixel across the pictures"
In response to Reply # 7

SE

>Hi Petter,
>
>Good to hear it was taken care of under warranty.
>
>>They replaced the 1B061-344 Image Sensor Unit.
>
>Hmmm. I wonder what all is included in the "Unit?"
>
>
>>Though the
>>shutter count was not reset.
>
>I'm guessing that's because the shutter was not replaced?

Yeah but what is the "shutter" on a camera that dont have a one per se. And only have an electronic shutter which is working tightly with the sensor?

Anyway Nikon handled it well.

Petter

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Tue 19-Feb-13 04:10 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Corrupt rows of pixel across the pictures"
In response to Reply # 9

Knoxville, US

Probably thinking of the V series which does have a mechanical shutter.

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Tue 19-Feb-13 12:35 PM
#8. "RE: Corrupt rows of pixel across the pictures"
In response to Reply # 6

Knoxville, US

Glad you have it working. I figured it was the sensor.

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Tue 19-Feb-13 05:05 PM
6523 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Corrupt rows of pixel across the pictures"
In response to Reply # 6

Wethersfield, US

Glad it's fixed. It doesn't surprise me that the shutter count wasn't reset. When I had the shutter (an actual mechanical one) replaced in my D3, they didn't reset the shutter count. I don't think it's something they normally do.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2645 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.