nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2634
View in linear mode

Subject: "Awaiting Delivery of my 1 J1" Previous topic | Next topic
STEVEINNY   US  Registered since 19th Jan 2013 Sat 19-Jan-13 06:02 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Awaiting Delivery of my 1 J1"

I along with many others, I'm sure, took advantage of the great pricing on a Nikon 1 J1 with the 10-30 & 30-110mm len kit. Currently I'm awaiting delivery. I've read and watched many reviews of the 1 series online and it seems that anyone who actually has used the camera likes it for the most part. No camera is perfect. Generally, most people who dislike it are basing it on reading about it. It is a very polarizing camera. Ken Rockwell blasts it and others say it is a fashion accessory. My research leads me to believe this is a nimble and very capable camera. Autofocus seems very fast, shutterlag negligible enough to photograph kids at play or sporting events. Colors seem vivid and videos look great. Even the complaints about the lack of external controls are tempered by comments such as "the menus aren't all that hard to navigate". In all, I hope I chose well based on the contributions and opinions of others. This is a bold move from Nikon to enter the ILC category with its own CX sensor and fresh styling of the 1 series. Any thoughts are welcome.

Regards,
Steve

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography   Knoxville, US  Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006 Sat 19-Jan-13 08:24 PM
6895 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Awaiting Delivery of my 1 J1"
In response to Reply # 0

You know what they say, never trust the reviews of people who never actually use the product. At least when it comes to cameras. I don't see why the Nikon 1 is blasted. Is it overpriced at MSRP? I think so. But it's still a very capable camera and fun to have around. There's room to grow with it and Nikon has plenty of room for other improvements but I'll still enjoy having the V1 around myself.

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Wethersfield, US  Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004 Sun 20-Jan-13 03:14 PM
7529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Awaiting Delivery of my 1 J1"
In response to Reply # 0

Everyone has an opinion, I guess. Mine, as someone who has used DSLRs from consumer- to pro-grade, several P&S cameras, and the 1 V1, is that the mirrorless cameras fill a niche, and the Nikon 1 series is a worthy entry in that field. Each MILC system has its strengths and weaknesses. The Nikon 1's main weakness is the size of its sensor, but as long as you know what to expect of it, that's not a huge limitation to me. The second weakness compared to m4/3, especially, is the limited selection of native lenses. That's ameliorated somewhat by the FT-1 adapter (at additional cost, of course) although adapting DX and FX lenses to CX can result in some odd focal length ranges.

Some people seem to demand that MILC systems perform like DSLRs, and none of the present systems are up to that. Anyone who expects them to do so is in for disappointment. But you can take some great photos with a Nikon 1 camera, as can be seen in many forums and photo websites.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2634 Previous topic | Next topic