Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2629
View in linear mode

Subject: "Got my J1" Previous topic | Next topic
coffeeCup Registered since 12th Jan 2013Sat 19-Jan-13 03:14 AM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Got my J1"

US

Wow- this is a really cool camera!

As a total beginner, this definitely peaked my interested in photography. Picked it up on Amazon for $496.95 with the 10mm f/2.8 lens. I went with this because this was the cheapest way into the the Nikon 1 series and the V1 didn't come with a flash. That and it didn't seem that the upgraded J2, J3 was worth the extra cash.

I know this is a controversial camera, but I think this is great for me- it's cheap, it's got some lenses, it's got a built-in flash, and it's compact and stylish. I would have been bored with a P&S and wouldn't have shelled out the cash for a DSLR or wanted a big camera.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Sat 19-Jan-13 08:25 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Got my J1"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

I think it's only "controversial" for people who haven't used it. It's a great camera for what it does and the price reductions put it more in line with the value for performance index in my book. I bought my V1 before all the reductions but haven't regretted it.

Enjoy your J1 and take lots of pictures!

STEVEINNY Registered since 19th Jan 2013Sat 19-Jan-13 11:41 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Got my J1"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I just ordered mine today and am anxious to run it through the paces. Post some images in the future. Good luck and enjoy.

coffeeCup Registered since 12th Jan 2013Sun 20-Jan-13 02:10 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Got my J1"
In response to Reply # 2

US

I think it's controversial because of 2 reasons:
1) The price- time and time again, reviews complained about the original price.
2) How it fits into the market- people complain that it's not a P&S and not a DSLR. It's too expensive for a P&S and not advanced and as good as their D4 or D600.

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Sun 20-Jan-13 02:35 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Got my J1"
In response to Reply # 3

Knoxville, US

Same kind of people who said the iPad was in between a netbook and notebook and not useful for either. Now that iPad (and similar) have killed off the netbook and had an impact on the notebook market. Not saying the same will happen with the Nikon 1 but shows that people are poor prognosticators of the market.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2629 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.