Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2609
View in linear mode

Subject: "I want an FT-2...." Previous topic | Next topic
jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Mon 14-Jan-13 02:09 PM
7026 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"I want an FT-2...."

Wethersfield, US

...or whatever Nikon chooses to call it. I'm talking about something like this.

Essentially, it's an "anti-teleconverter," or a wide-angle converter. Think of an FT-1 but with optics that effectively reduce the focal length of the attached lens (instead of increasing it, as a teleconverter does). This is possible because the image circle of the lens (FX or DX) is much larger than the sensor and thus could fully cover the sensor even if shrunk down optically, thus effectively widening the field of view of the lens.

The announced product I linked to above performs a 0.71x conversion. Not only does that make the lens "wider," it makes it faster by increasing the effective aperture by a full stop!

Imagine what something like this would do on a Nikon 1 body. With the 0.71x of the "FT-2" and the 2.7 crop factor of the Nikon 1, the 35-mm effective focal length of a lens would become 1.9x -- like having a 1.9x crop factor.

10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 becomes 19-46mm f/2.5-3.2
28mm f/1.8 becomes 53mm f/1.2 (Back in the manual focus days, Nikon made a 55mm f/1.2 lens.)
35mm f/1.8 becomes 67mm f/1.2
300mm f/4 becomes 570mm f/2.8

And for really crazy (and expensive):

24mm f/1.4 becomes 46mm f/1.0 (How's that for your low-light shooting?)
400mm f/2.8 becomes 760mm f/2.0

The announcement says nothing about a possible third-party product for Nikon 1, probably because Nikon isn't giving out the engineering specs for the CX lens interface. But Nikon could surely make such a thing, and whether they called it an FT-2 or something else, I'd want one!

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Mon 14-Jan-13 07:27 PM
6891 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: I want an FT-2...."
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

Or have some real fun and slap on a FT1, too! Get the 2.7 crop factor on the faster-reduced factor. lol. Would remind me of those pictures with the 6 stacked teleconverters!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2609 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.