Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2606
View in linear mode

Subject: "Shooting j2 with 10x30mm in the snow" Previous topic | Next topic
Rickjobson Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Dec 2012Sun 13-Jan-13 11:08 AM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Shooting j2 with 10x30mm in the snow"

Windsor, AU

I recently bought a Nikon 1 j2 with the 2 lens kit, to replace a compact digital I carry in my pocket when skiing. It is just for those quick great shots in the powder or of a steep Shute. Problem I found first time using it in Japan, heaps of moisture and fogging internally ruined the shots. Is this just the cheaper 10 ,30mm lens or do the higher grade lenses fog up internally?
Rick.

RickJ

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sun 13-Jan-13 11:12 AM
6765 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Shooting j2 with 10x30mm in the snow"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

It can happen with any interchangeable lens because they aren't hermetically sealed. One approach to solving this is to put the camera in a plastic bag and squeeze out as much of the air as possible. Then when you bring the camera into the environment where the temperature is very different, leave the camera in the bag until its temperature has settled to that of the environment. Then when you take it out of the bag you shouldn't get the condensation.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Rickjobson Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Dec 2012Mon 14-Jan-13 07:52 AM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Shooting j2 with 10x30mm in the snow"
In response to Reply # 1

Windsor, AU

Hi Jon,
Thank you, Yes that makes sense. As the temperature difference could suck moisture in as it adjusts?
Took heaps of pics today, in around -12c, and a fair bit of snow on the camera, but with the 30-110mm lens and did not have the same issue, but this may have been luck.
So I'll try the bag. Thanks again.
Regards rick

RickJ

Rickjobson Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Dec 2012Fri 01-Feb-13 10:49 PM
"RE: Shooting j2 with 10x30mm in the snow"

Windsor, AU

Just thought I'd pass on some more tips for skiing with the J2. The sealable plastic bag works...just get a biggish one, otherwise you waste time fumbling about. I also took off the neck strap, and put a wrist strap on, good for safety if you a shooting from a chair lift or to stop dropping it into the snow. I did also find that you only get a few sequential shots before the camera just stops, probably buffering. But am now getting some nice shots, just been a learning curve over a compact.

RickJ

Rickjobson Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Dec 2012Fri 01-Feb-13 10:49 PM
#3. "RE: Shooting j2 with 10x30mm in the snow"
In response to Reply # 2

Windsor, AU

Just thought I'd pass on some more tips for skiing with the J2. The sealable plastic bag works...just get a biggish one, otherwise you waste time fumbling about. I also took off the neck strap, and put a wrist strap on, good for safety if you a shooting from a chair lift or to stop dropping it into the snow. I did also find that you only get a few sequential shots before the camera just stops, probably buffering. But am now getting some nice shots, just been a learning curve over a compact.

RickJ

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2606 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.