Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2558
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon launches 2 new Nikon 1 cameras: J3 and S1" Previous topic | Next topic
nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Tue 08-Jan-13 12:37 PM
6804 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon launches 2 new Nikon 1 cameras: J3 and S1"

Knoxville, US

Today, Nikon Inc. announced the new Nikon 1 J3 and Nikon 1 S1 and a new wireless mobile adapter for the system.

Nikon Press Release

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon launches 2 new Nikon 1 cameras: J3 and S1
jbloom Gold Member
08th Jan 2013
nwcs Silver Member
08th Jan 2013
kenuck Silver Member
08th Jan 2013
King Nothing Gold Member
08th Jan 2013
kenuck Silver Member
08th Jan 2013
King Nothing Gold Member
08th Jan 2013
James23p Moderator
10th Jan 2013
nwcs Silver Member
10th Jan 2013
Covey22 Moderator
10th Jan 2013
nurseman Silver Member
11th Jan 2013
KnightPhoto Gold Member
10th Nov 2013
RRRoger Silver Member
11th Nov 2013
KnightPhoto Gold Member
12th Nov 2013

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Tue 08-Jan-13 01:00 PM
5952 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon launches 2 new Nikon 1 cameras: J3 and S1"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

I'm pretty sure the WU-1b they referred to isn't new; it came out with the V2. And I believe it's compatible only with the newer Series 1 cameras (V2, J3, S1) as well as the D600.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Tue 08-Jan-13 02:34 PM
6804 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon launches 2 new Nikon 1 cameras: J3 and S1"
In response to Reply # 1

Knoxville, US

I think it's because of how they worded it in the press release that I thought it was a new variant.

kenuck Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2008Tue 08-Jan-13 05:12 PM
85 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon launches 2 new Nikon 1 cameras: J3 and S1"
In response to Reply # 0

Burnaby, CA

I just got the WU-1B for my V2 yesterday. Works OK, though it loses connection sometimes.

New lenses quite pricey...$500+ and still no fast primes.

Ken

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

King Nothing Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2011Tue 08-Jan-13 06:28 PM
110 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon launches 2 new Nikon 1 cameras: J3 and S1"
In response to Reply # 0

Cranbrook, CA

I really have to ask why here. The J2 is a couple months old and it's already being replaced? And there's the new S1 which is even lower end than the J3 but still not cheap. How much longer until there's a V3 or a S2? Nikon is not instilling me with any confidence here.

And the new lenses don't seem to add anything new either. One of them duplicates an existing lens. At least the 6.7-13 gives some wide angle ability. But I don't think either one really addresses the lens problem the 1 system has. There is still virtually no fast glass which would really help in low light. Especially since the small sensor would let you shoot wide open and still have large depth of field.

kenuck Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2008Tue 08-Jan-13 06:57 PM
85 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon launches 2 new Nikon 1 cameras: J3 and S1"
In response to Reply # 4

Burnaby, CA

>One of them duplicates an existing lens.
To be fair, the 10-100 duplicates the larger, heavier and $200 more expensive power zoom video lens.

>There is still virtually no fast glass which would really help in low light.
Agreed

Ken

King Nothing Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2011Tue 08-Jan-13 08:18 PM
110 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon launches 2 new Nikon 1 cameras: J3 and S1"
In response to Reply # 5

Cranbrook, CA

>>One of them duplicates an existing lens.
>To be fair, the 10-100 duplicates the larger, heavier and $200
>more expensive power zoom video lens.

Yeah. I should have said that it duplicates the focal length rather than the whole lens. It's still another slow zoom.

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Thu 10-Jan-13 10:33 AM
9124 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon launches 2 new Nikon 1 cameras: J3 and S1"
In response to Reply # 0

Memphis, US

I have to say I am interested in the S1 as a point and shoot with a little pop! Plus I like the green color but at 499$ still a tad rich make that 399$ with the lens and I might jump on it.

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Thu 10-Jan-13 12:46 PM
#8. "RE: Nikon launches 2 new Nikon 1 cameras: J3 and S1"
In response to Reply # 7

Knoxville, US

I kind of think what Nikon is doing is making the J series like the original V1, the V then moves to more advanced and S takes over from what J was.

But the pricing is still very odd with all of these. Makes it hard to make any kind of buying decision.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberThu 10-Jan-13 05:07 PM
10411 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Nikon launches 2 new Nikon 1 cameras: J3 and S1"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 10-Jan-13 05:09 PM by Covey22

US

With the quick refresh cycle, the 1 Series is starting to (dangerously) overlap with the Coolpix line, potentially diluting both product families. The pricing is a hash, with possibly less than a USD50-60 difference between the J2 and J3. Thom Hogan makes a good observation that the SKU choices would drive retailers to drink - there's about 25 kits needed in order to get one of each variation just at a baseline.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

nurseman Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2008Fri 11-Jan-13 03:25 AM
80 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Nikon launches 2 new Nikon 1 cameras: J3 and S1"
In response to Reply # 9

Madison, US

I love my V1 , but these new models and lenses are not even tempting.... why with such a small sensor does the Wide angle have to be so slow.... it is a $200 lens at best.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sun 10-Nov-13 07:56 PM
4090 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Nikon launches 2 new Nikon 1 cameras: J3 and S1"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

It's 11 month's later and the pricing seems to have worked itself out - the J3 is running $399 locally - that's with the 10-30.

I'm doing some wheeling and dealing on my local Kijiji and now that I've sussed things out more clearly, the J3 wireless compatibility with the WU-1B, seems like a significant advantage for the younger generation. I'm planning on giving this as a gift to daughter and boyfriend, and wireless to their smart-phones takes it to the next level I think.

Coincidentally one guy has a kit that includes the UWA zoom too.

Is the WU-1B disconnecting a lot on you? Anyone else have wireless experiences to share?

The WU-1B at $69 seems pretty tolerable compared to the $500 and $800 adapters for my FX cameras!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberMon 11-Nov-13 02:20 PM
3087 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Nikon launches 2 new Nikon 1 cameras: J3 and S1"
In response to Reply # 11

Monterey Bay, US

No fast Primes?

How about the 18.5 f1.8?
It is not wide but is cheap and works well in low light.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Tue 12-Nov-13 01:38 AM
4090 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Nikon launches 2 new Nikon 1 cameras: J3 and S1"
In response to Reply # 12

Alberta, CA

Yep, ordered a nice Silver 18.5mm today and am about to complete a Kijiji deal that gives me the 6.7-13mm too (as well as a J3 for my older daughter for Xmas). Younger Dot, as I like to call them, already bought her own J1 this summer.

Have you seen these nice silver versions of the Nikon 1 lenses, they are real purty, and HEY they look kinda retro too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpe75tA9xWg

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2558 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.