Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2545
View in linear mode

Subject: "Why an FT-1(newbie question)" Previous topic | Next topic
gleemor Registered since 06th Jan 2013Sun 06-Jan-13 10:32 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Why an FT-1(newbie question)"

US

I've just gotten a v1 and have been reading the posts about the FT-1 adaptor. I have several DX lenses which would certainly give a wider range to the v1...but my question is why? If the purpose of the camera is to have a smaller form-factor than a dslr and then you still have to carry a bag of large, heavier lenses, why not just stick with the dslr albeit a larger kit. Doesn't it defeat the purpose of the v1's grab-and-go appeal? Help me out here, guys and gals...what am I missing? I've only had the v1 a few days and am really trying to like it but it seems like the pricey adaptors, underpowered flash, slow lenses, etcetera make this a camera that fills a niche that doesn't exist. I'm not trying to be v1 negative but I feel I must be overlooking something "special" and I would love to make this my 2nd camera. Right now it sits in about the number "5" position of cameras I grab to shoot with. Thanks for you input.
Gleemor

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Why an FT-1(newbie question)
nwcs Silver Member
06th Jan 2013
JonK Moderator
06th Jan 2013
jbloom Gold Member
06th Jan 2013
walk43 Gold Member
07th Jan 2013
SRFast Silver Member
07th Jan 2013
kenuck Silver Member
07th Jan 2013
richardd300 Silver Member
08th Jan 2013
nwcs Silver Member
08th Jan 2013
richardd300 Silver Member
08th Jan 2013

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Sun 06-Jan-13 10:42 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Why an FT-1(newbie question)"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

Yes and no. It definitely diminishes the grab and go nature of the Nikon 1 camera but the appeal of the FT1 adapter is with telephoto shots. Just like a DX camera puts more pixels in a smaller area vs the equivalent pixel count FX camera, so the CX camera puts even more in a smaller area. The effect is like filling the frame more. So for people, like me, who like birding and wildlife and macro this is really nice. It's hard to get close enough and harder to fill the frame. This is like a cheat without cropping. That's the big appeal.

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Sun 06-Jan-13 11:01 PM
4638 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Why an FT-1(newbie question)"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 06-Jan-13 11:01 PM by JonK

New York, US

It's not just telephotos. The FT-1 also allows the use of fast glass, all the f/1.8 and f/1.4 lenses from 85mm down to 24mm.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sun 06-Jan-13 11:55 PM
6358 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Why an FT-1(newbie question)"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

The 1 Series appeals on two different bases. One basis is the grab-and-go usage you noted. With its small lenses, these are relatively pocketable cameras. The other basis is the huge crop factor and subsequent telephoto advantage. Some people are going to be more interested in one of these bases than the other, but for me, they are both of interest.

Frankly, if I was looking only for a small camera, I'm not sure the V1 would be my first choice. Its additional appeal as a telephoto body makes it worth having as my grab-and-go camera as well. That said, it does a quite serviceable job as a stand-alone camera system.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Mon 07-Jan-13 12:54 AM
704 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Why an FT-1(newbie question)"
In response to Reply # 3

Pennsylvania, US

Jon,

I agree with your assessment! For the OP ...I only offer that for me I would not buy the V1 for my only pocket camera. There are others out there that I would look at first. But the V1 fits very nicely into my bag as a 2.7x teleconverter that, as said above, puts all the pixels in the center of my good glass and makes my 70-200VR a 189-540 VR f/ 2.8 lens and with my TC-17EII a 321-918 VR f/4. Not as good as my D800 but VERY usefull when I need the long 'reach'.

Dan
(Nikon D800 & V2)
"My most rewarding photos are those that capture something I didn't 'see' in the viewfinder....so just SHOOT."

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

SRFast Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Dec 2004Mon 07-Jan-13 01:29 AM
1452 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Why an FT-1(newbie question)"
In response to Reply # 4

New York City, US

I picked up a Nikon 1 V2 in December and just got an FT-1 for it. I am looking forward to using my f/1.8 and f/2.8 lenses with the V2.

Regards....JL

kenuck Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2008Mon 07-Jan-13 08:43 PM
100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Why an FT-1(newbie question)"
In response to Reply # 0

Burnaby, CA

I think that when (if?) longer 1 series and faster 1 series lenses become available there will be less need for the FT-1, though of course if one happens to have a $5k to $10k lens lying around its nice to be able to use it to get some otherwise unattainable shots (where else can you find a 540mm FOV f/2 lens, for example). The faster 1 series lenses are already showing up...18.5 mm f/1.8 for example, with rumors of others imminent.

Ken

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Tue 08-Jan-13 06:26 AM
3353 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Why an FT-1(newbie question)"
In response to Reply # 6
Tue 08-Jan-13 06:27 AM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

Wouldn't it be great if they made an FT-1 for a dSLR

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Tue 08-Jan-13 12:41 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Why an FT-1(newbie question)"
In response to Reply # 7

Knoxville, US

What would you put on it?

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Tue 08-Jan-13 02:49 PM
3353 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Why an FT-1(newbie question)"
In response to Reply # 8

Dyserth, GB

A 300mm f4. It's a cool thought, but only said tongue in cheek

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2545 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.