nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2523
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon V1 or ENEL15 Battery Issue" Previous topic | Next topic
silver_print Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jul 2003Fri 04-Jan-13 10:11 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon V1 or ENEL15 Battery Issue"

Staten Island, US

I along with several friends purchased V1's from B&H last month, taking advantage of the low price. I never bothered to look at the Battery Info in the menu, but a friend checked his to find that the Battery Life was indicating 1...a new battery should indicate 0. My battery that came with the V1 also indicated 1. I have 2 older batteries for my D7000 from 1010, tried both in the V1...they indicated 0...tried the new battery in in the D7000 to find it also indicated 1. I called Nikon, but the service Rep did not think it was an issue. I am bringing it to everyone's attention to check and see if you may have the same issue...Nikon my have a run of bad batteries out there that they are not aware of. I anyone finds the same issue please post it with the battery serial number. Also please contact Nikon if you have the issue. The more complaints Nikon gets, the better...so they will have to replace the batteries.
John

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon V1 or ENEL15 Battery Issue
jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
05th Jan 2013
nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography
06th Jan 2013
Reply message RE: Nikon V1 or ENEL15 Battery Issue B& H To The Rescue
silver_print Gold Member
19th Jan 2013
nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography
19th Jan 2013
DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer
20th Jan 2013
charita
20th Jan 2013
SRFast Silver Member
20th Jan 2013
niksi Silver Member
08th Feb 2013
SRFast Silver Member
09th Feb 2013
niksi Silver Member
09th Feb 2013
FredB D3 Silver Member
21st Mar 2013
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
29th Mar 2013
FredB D3 Silver Member
30th Mar 2013
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
30th Mar 2013
FredB D3 Silver Member
31st Mar 2013
01st Apr 2013
petterf Silver Member
09th Feb 2013
jjimerson Silver Member
13th Feb 2013
petterf Silver Member
14th Feb 2013
JB01 Silver Member
15th Feb 2013
FredB D3 Silver Member
13th Apr 2013
JB01 Silver Member
16th Feb 2013
RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit.
03rd Mar 2013
cacauet2
21st Mar 2013
kenuck Silver Member
22nd Mar 2013
petterf Silver Member
22nd Mar 2013
wfmcgrath3
11th Apr 2013
11th Apr 2013
cacauet2
26th Apr 2013
MasterDabber
22nd Jun 2013
TwoMetreBill
06th Jul 2013
06th Jul 2013
TwoMetreBill
06th Jul 2013
08th Jul 2013

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sat 05-Jan-13 02:55 PM
7129 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon V1 or ENEL15 Battery Issue"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

Interesting. I got my V1 from B&H at about the same time, but my battery shows 0.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Sun 06-Jan-13 11:29 PM
6892 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon V1 or ENEL15 Battery Issue"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

You know, I had my battery show 1, too, in my V1 but it doesn't show but show 0 in my D800. Wonder if there is a firmware issue?

silver_print Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jul 2003Sat 19-Jan-13 01:00 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon V1 or ENEL15 Battery Issue B& H To The Rescue"
In response to Reply # 2

Staten Island, US

UPDATE

Was at B&H today and dropped by Customer Service...explained the issue, no questions asked they replaced the battery. New one reads 0. To show my appreciation, I treated myself to a D600!!!!

>You know, I had my battery show 1, too, in my V1 but it
>doesn't show but show 0 in my D800. Wonder if there is a
>firmware issue?

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Sat 19-Jan-13 09:22 PM
6892 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon V1 or ENEL15 Battery Issue B& H To The Rescue"
In response to Reply # 3

Knoxville, US

That's quite an appreciation!

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Sun 20-Jan-13 04:23 AM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon V1 or ENEL15 Battery Issue B& H To The Rescue"
In response to Reply # 3
Sun 20-Jan-13 04:24 AM by DeanAZ

Phoenix, US

I'm glad I don't live close enough to walk into the store. Happy you got it sorted out. I have two of the batteries I use in my D7000 and after two plus years both still read an age of 0.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

charita Registered since 26th Jul 2009Sun 20-Jan-13 06:58 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon V1 or ENEL15 Battery Issue"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I double checked the menu in my new Nikon 1 V2, and surprisingly it does not have a battery condtion in the setup. The V1 obviously has this function, so why did Nikon leave this feature out of a supposed upgrade to the V1? I guess what one does not know cannot hurt!

SRFast Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Dec 2004Sun 20-Jan-13 02:18 PM
1472 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon V1 or ENEL15 Battery Issue"
In response to Reply # 6

New York City, US

Charlie,
I'm with you. When I first read this post, I thought I had missed something on my newly acquired V2 so I went back to check the menus and documentation. No batter condiiton meter on the V2!. V1 owners get the battery condition meter and V2 owners get pixel mapping. Go figure.

Regards....JL

niksi Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jul 2006Fri 08-Feb-13 08:10 PM
203 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Nikon V1 or ENEL15 Battery Issue"
In response to Reply # 7

Kranj, SI

James,

I just received my V1 (283€ at Amazon.de - amazing discount) three days ago and at the same day Nikon has released new FW for V1.

I loaded V1 with the new FW and now I have both the battery condition meter AND the pixel mapping utility. Go figure

Maybe you would like to check the FW version of your V2 and see whether there is a new FW release available for it.

Kind regards,

Niko
-----------------------
Never underestimate!

SRFast Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Dec 2004Sat 09-Feb-13 03:01 AM
1472 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Nikon V1 or ENEL15 Battery Issue"
In response to Reply # 8

New York City, US

Niko,
There is no FW update for the V2, yet. Interesting the V1 has both features. Enjoy your new V1.

Regards...JL

niksi Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jul 2006Sat 09-Feb-13 11:37 AM
203 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Nikon V1 or ENEL15 Battery Issue"
In response to Reply # 9

Kranj, SI

You are right, James - no recent FW update for V2 is avaliable.
Anyway, hope for the best to get these features for your V2.

Kind regards,

Niko
-----------------------
Never underestimate!

FredB D3 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2008Thu 21-Mar-13 06:27 PM
913 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Nikon V1 or ENEL15 Battery Issue"
In response to Reply # 6

Potomac, US

>... so why did Nikon leave
>this feature out of a supposed upgrade to the V1?

So they wouldn't need to respond to complaints about their batteries!

Got my V1 + spare battery in May 2012.

Batt Nikon EN-EL15 marked "SONY E-D" (on large label to right of "PSE" in circle above Nikon hologram), Serial 20120429JE0309 Condition = 2
Also does not seem to be holding its charge as it should.

Batt Nikon EN-EL15 marked "NIKON" (on large label to right of "PSE" in circle above Nikon hologram), Serial 20110824DC0750 Condition = 0

I rotate my batteries. When one needs recharging I put the other in while the first is being charged, so they both have about the same number of charges.

I checked here, and neither battery is part of the recall.

Fred
Maryland, USA

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 29-Mar-13 10:17 AM
8926 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Nikon V1 or ENEL15 Battery Issue"
In response to Reply # 18

Atlanta, US

For what its worth, Sony makes all the EN-EL15 batteries. I had an inquiry to Nikon a few months ago and the spec sheet they sent was from Sony Battery.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

FredB D3 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2008Sat 30-Mar-13 11:25 AM
913 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Nikon V1 or ENEL15 Battery Issue"
In response to Reply # 21

Potomac, US

Thank you for the clarification, Eric. I wonder why some are labelled "Nikon," and others, "Sony." Maybe the "Nikon" ones come with the camera, and the Sony ones are sold separately? I don't know which of mine came with the camera, and which I bought as a back-up.

Any clues as to what the serial numbers mean, especially the letters? They were critical in the recall.

Fred
Maryland, USA

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sat 30-Mar-13 12:00 PM
8926 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Nikon V1 or ENEL15 Battery Issue"
In response to Reply # 22

Atlanta, US

There are a lot of reports of people with Sony labeled batteries. I don't know of any problem or issue.

The leading series of numbers is a date. The trailing series are production or batch related numbers.

Sony is a huge battery maker. They are the pioneers in Li-ion batteries and have been making them since 1991. And they have had problems from time to time - remember the laptop battery recall in 2006?

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

FredB D3 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2008Sun 31-Mar-13 12:26 PM
#24. "RE: Nikon V1 or ENEL15 Battery Issue"
In response to Reply # 23

Potomac, US

Hi Eric,

Perhaps you can provide some additional insight here. I researched this a bit, but did not find much info. Here is my understanding, based on what what I have gleaned from my research (and it is pretty basic, but I hope correct). At least newer Nikon batteries are "coded" (3rd party batteries may or may not be coded).* What this means is that there is circuitry (the "code") built into the battery that provides information on the age of the batteries' cells (presumably based on the number of charges and not chronology) beyond merely the charge remaining. This would be the 0's, 1's, 2's, etc.

My questions, for clarification, and if my understanding is correct, are:

1. Is this all that the circuitry or "code" does - provide feedback on battery age?

2. Does the circuitry in any way control the functioning or performance of the battery?

It seems to me that there are now two primary electrical components of the batteries - the charge cell(s) and the code. If the answers to the above questions are Yes & No, respectively, then either of these components could independently become defective.

If what I and others are seeing as premature aging of some Nikon batteries (age status other than 0 in little-used batteries), it could it be that the batteries themselves (the cells) actually have a 0 condition, and are falsely being reported as being condition 1 or higher because of faulty code. The batteries should otherwise be expected to perform nominally over their normally expected life-time; the cells have not prematurely aged.

A final thought, then: Is there any way of verifying the proper functioning of a battery's "code?"

*I came across this terminology in an Amazon ad for "Fully Coded" 3rd party batteries.

Fred
Maryland, USA

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 01-Apr-13 11:25 AM
#25. "RE: Nikon V1 or ENEL15 Battery Issue"
In response to Reply # 24

Atlanta, US

Fred

What you described makes sense. My take is the battery is more sophisticated than you describe. There certainly could be software or sensor errors.

One of the big issues in lithium ion batteries is that life depends a little on how the battery is used. Draining a battery fully reduces life more than draining it halfway twice.

Chargers work better with smart batteries and smart chargers that prevent excessive temperature during charging and prevent over charging.

The batteries are getting more sophisticated. But I don't have enough specifics to really know what problems are creating the problem with battery life.

I would contact Nikon for replacement if a new battery shows premature age.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

petterf Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Nov 2008Sat 09-Feb-13 09:51 AM
133 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Nikon V1 or ENEL15 Battery Issue"
In response to Reply # 0

SE

Nikon will replace the E and F series of EN-EL15 batteries as stated in their buletin.

In Sweden many have also discovered that the K-series show degenerated status.
After only a couple of charges they show 1 or 2 on the 0-4 scale where other series show 0 as new condition.

Nikon is looking into it but no action taken yet.

Petter
-Ever wondered where gadgets go when they die?

jjimerson Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jun 2006Wed 13-Feb-13 10:31 PM
61 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Nikon V1 or ENEL15 Battery Issue"
In response to Reply # 0

El Paso, US

I had a odd thing happen, my battery read 0, but after a charge it now reads 3. I don't know if there is a way to check except to wait.

Jack Jimerson
Nikonian in Far West Texas

petterf Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Nov 2008Thu 14-Feb-13 06:23 AM
133 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Nikon V1 or ENEL15 Battery Issue"
In response to Reply # 12

SE

Which series or serial do the battery have?

Petter

JB01 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Nov 2004Fri 15-Feb-13 01:10 AM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Nikon V1 or ENEL15 Battery Issue"
In response to Reply # 0

Ellicott City, US

I also purchased a new Nikon V1 from Adorama ordered 10-2-2012. I was surprised to find the battery information indicates an old "3" battery. The new but old battery serial number is 20120415GC1377.
JB

FredB D3 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2008Sat 13-Apr-13 09:44 PM
#28. "RE: Nikon V1 or ENEL15 Battery Issue"
In response to Reply # 14

Potomac, US

Hi JB,

Is your battery marked "SONY E-D" or "NIKON" or something else? Two batteries wouldn't make for a pattern, but I notice the mfg. date on our prematurely aging batteries is about 2 weeks apart (see Eric's post #23 - the leading series of numbers is a date.

>I also purchased a new Nikon V1 from Adorama ordered
>10-2-2012. I was surprised to find the battery information
>indicates an old "3" battery. The new but old
>battery serial number is 20120415GC1377.
>JB

My 2 batteries and their condition (repeated from my first post here):

Batt Nikon EN-EL15 marked "SONY E-D" (on large label to right of "PSE" in circle above Nikon hologram), Serial 20120429JE0309 Condition = 2
Also does not seem to be holding its charge as it should.

Batt Nikon EN-EL15 marked "NIKON" (on large label to right of "PSE" in circle above Nikon hologram), Serial 20110824DC0750 Condition = 0

Fred
Maryland, USA

JB01 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Nov 2004Sat 16-Feb-13 01:46 AM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Nikon V1 or ENEL15 Battery Issue"
In response to Reply # 0

Ellicott City, US

Having discovered through Nikonians that my new 3 of 4 battery was not a unique problem. I decided to call Nikon Service this morning. I spoke with Augusto F. I explained purchase of a Nikon 1 v 1 camera with a dysfunctional battery. He read from the V1 manual p. 160 pointing out the various ways I may have induced the problem. He seemed quite enamored of the idea I had charged the battery below 41 degrees F. I reminded him the problem dated from camera receipt. I noted I charged the battery in my home at room temperature, not below 41 degrees. He was not dissuaded from his stand. He ended the conversation stating Nikon did not warranty batteries.
JB

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSun 03-Mar-13 04:52 PM
3176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Nikon V1 or ENEL15 Battery Issue"
In response to Reply # 15

Monterey Bay, US

I have or had a V1, D7000, D600, and D800 and bought several extra batteries.
All of them still read 0.

cacauet2 Registered since 04th Mar 2013Thu 21-Mar-13 11:29 AM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Nikon V1 or ENEL15 Battery Issue"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 21-Mar-13 08:39 PM by cacauet2

ES

I have the same issue with the battery of my recently aquired V1. After 1 recharge it shows now "1".

I have buyed it in Spain in a discounted offer. The people i have spoken with (here in Spain) that have aquired a discounted V1 have same problem.
Instead of "G" my battery has the "J" letter. I not remember full serial number. This afternoon at home I will see.

I hope the "offer" does not include a malfunctional battery.

S/N of my battery: 20120510JC0999

kenuck Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2008Fri 22-Mar-13 03:55 AM
108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Nikon V1 or ENEL15 Battery Issue"
In response to Reply # 17
Fri 22-Mar-13 03:56 AM by kenuck

Burnaby, CA

Bought V1 last August with 2 batteries. Both read "0" until recently, but now one of the batteries reads "2", even after a re-charge. Always charged at room temperature...no Nikon I don't leave them outside to charge

Ken

petterf Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Nov 2008Fri 22-Mar-13 07:08 AM
#20. "RE: Nikon V1 or ENEL15 Battery Issue"
In response to Reply # 19

SE

Several people in sweden who have had batteries that showed rapid deterioration have all received a replacement battery from Nikon Sweden.

Petter

wfmcgrath3 Registered since 26th Feb 2012Thu 11-Apr-13 05:22 PM
77 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Nikon V1 or ENEL15 Battery Issue"
In response to Reply # 0

Livingston, US

I have a D800 with two batteries that show zero in the life indicator, despite good usage since June of 2012. I bought a V1 from B&H in January of 2013, and the life indicator shows 2 despite low usage and room-temp charging. I contacted Nikon's "customer service," and was told that I probably screwed it up by over charging or some other egregious malfeasance, and that batteries aren't guaranteed anyway. I got quite curt with him, reminding him that I've owned a D70, a D200 and now a D800, and NONE of their batteries ever gave me a problem. I apparently shamed them into "examining" the problem. They want me to send in the battery AND the camera, and they will "consider" replacing the battery. They seem to go to almost any length to make it difficult to resolve issues.

I now have to ask myself whether the problem is the battery condition or only a readout issue. Do I want to spend $20 to send the camera, lens, SD card and battery back to Nikon in the hope that they will replace the possibly defective battery? They are probably hoping I won't. Nikon must be taking its business operating cues from all the lousy American companies that have a "piss on the customer" attitude. I have spent a lot of money on Nikon gear over the years, especially on pro glass, and their reaction to my concerns is disappointing, to say the least. I will certainly think twice about tossing more money their way. My next lens might very well say Tokina or Sigma on it instead of Nikkor like all my current glass. Wake up, Nikon!!!

Creating images the new-fashioned way!

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Thu 11-Apr-13 05:45 PM
#27. "RE: Nikon V1 or ENEL15 Battery Issue"
In response to Reply # 26

Knoxville, US

Nikon's customer support is definitely hit and miss. I haven't had any issue with them, but the stuff I did was clearly broken and needed repair. I have one EL15 battery showing a 1 and it was not in the bad batch. It was the battery that came with the V1, too. I decided I won't worry about it right now. Maybe get a knockoff one to replace it.

The curious thing is that I can't think of any camera supplier that has a good reputation for customer service. You'd think that if one of the bigger companies decided to be outstanding there that they would quickly gain market share -- even if their product was not the absolute best.

cacauet2 Registered since 04th Mar 2013Fri 26-Apr-13 11:10 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: Nikon V1 or ENEL15 Battery Issue"
In response to Reply # 0

ES

last month i sent my malfunctional battery to nikon spain (finicon) and yesterday arrived a new battery with no charge for me (i only payed for the sending package to finicon). it marks 0 in battery life (ok). after some recharges i will post its status. i hope this will be ok.

in this case the sat gave me a great service.

MasterDabber Registered since 10th Dec 2005Sat 22-Jun-13 09:04 AM
3278 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: Nikon V1 or ENEL15 Battery Issue"
In response to Reply # 29

Camberley, UK

I've only just found this thread after searching for EN-EL15 problems.

I've got a D7000 (about 6 months old) and recently the age status went from 0 to 3 without going through stages 1 and 2.
The battery is a "K" and designated "Nikon".

I've gone back to my supplier and they've told me to send it back to them.
This thread has been useful as it indicates that this is a problem others have experienced.
Derek

"You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment"
My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

TwoMetreBill Registered since 23rd Apr 2006Sat 06-Jul-13 06:50 PM
231 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: Nikon V1 or ENEL15 Battery Issue"
In response to Reply # 30

Erie, US

Not to pick on anyone but this could be partly user error.

1. NEVER NEVER use a new lithium battery, even for a second, until it has been fully charged in the Nikon charger. Using it first can permanently damage it. Note that this is true of all lithium batteries whether for a camera, phone, or whatever. The instruction manual for every device I've ever purchased with a lithium battery has included this warning. It is not just CYA but a fact of life with lithium batteries (other technologies have their own issues).

2. Never use a hot battery fresh off the charger, let it cool down first. Using a hot battery will PERMANENTLY reduce its capacity and life. True for NiMH batteries as well.

3. Never charge a hot battery, let it cool off first. Charging a hot battery will PERMANENTLY reduce its capacity and life. It is true that battery temperature is monitored (see item 5) by the charger but they will usually start charging earlier than is best for the battery. True for NiMH batteries as well.

4. About once a month (if used regularly like a phone) or at about every 25-30 recharge cycles, run the battery fully down before charging (following the advice in point 2 above). This recalibrates the charging circuitry in the battery. If this isn't done, the charger will think the battery is fully charged earlier than it actually is and shut off charging. Then the battery will appear to be deteriorating faster (fewer shots per charge). Not to worry if you forget, just do it when it is convenient. No damage is done to the battery if it is not recalibrated, just to you wallet as you end up replacing a good battery.

5. All lithium batteries are smart batteries otherwise they would catch fire and/or explode when charged or used. There is a micro-chip in each battery which communicates with the charger and camera about charge state and temperature. Nikon also tracks charge cycles to give users a warning about the remaining life of the battery. Furthermore as they age, their capacity is steadily reduced.

6. The "don't run down below 50%" rule is for older battery technologies and doesn't apply to lithium. Lithium batteries have a total usage life that is unrelated to charge cycles, again unlike older technologies whose life was more related to charge cycles. For example: if a lithium battery could run a device for 1 hr. before total discharge, then its total life would be roughly 250-500 hours (there are differences in lithium technologies). If the battery is good for 250 one hour cycles than it is good for 500 half-hour cycles. This is partially true for NiMH and not true at all for NiCd or lead acid.

7. Lithium batteries do not have a memory effect like NiCd. Hence it does not hurt the battery to charge it when it has been lightly used or to recharge it partially before use.

People have often confused the charging methodology of the Toyota Hybrid system with the functioning of lithium batteries. Toyota uses NiMH batteries and their charging computer does not charge the batteries over 85% or let them drop below 20%. Hence, owners are getting greater than 300K miles / 10 years before possibly needing replacement. This applies to NiMH and NOT to lithium batteries. And yes, if we didn't mind some extra bulk (25%) and weight (double), NiMH would actually be superior to lithium for our cameras.

Bill

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Sat 06-Jul-13 07:18 PM
#32. "RE: Nikon V1 or ENEL15 Battery Issue"
In response to Reply # 31

Knoxville, US

I respect your warnings here and certainly some are good for people to heed. But Lion chemistries differ in their care and use. For example: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries has a great article on lithium batteries and how you should treat them. Sme of the warning above may not apply to lithium

TwoMetreBill Registered since 23rd Apr 2006Sat 06-Jul-13 07:54 PM
231 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: Nikon V1 or ENEL15 Battery Issue"
In response to Reply # 32

Erie, US

There is good info here but it apears rather specific to a single battery technology. While for lead-acid there are only 3 common technologies (normal, AGM and gel) with slightly different voltages and charging requirements, for lithium there are dozens. E.G. the battery chemistry in an iPhone is different than that in a Samsung which is different than a camera etc. Of course it will vary across manufacturers and product lines. I doubt whether the exact same chemistry is used in the D300 battery as is used by the D800 battery. This makes all recommendations a bit suspect.

My info is based on the batteries used in continuous discharge devices such as laptops, cellphones and some gardening equipment (e.g. Ryobi 40 volt lithium string trimmer). It could very well be wrong for devices like cameras and electric shavers.

One constant would be to only use the charger from the product manufacturer: Nikon batteries with Nikon chargers, Pearstone batteries in Pearstone chargers, etc.

There is good info on Wikepedia as well which more agrees with your link than my info.

Thanks for the update, learning more every day.

Bill

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 08-Jul-13 10:48 PM
#34. "RE: Nikon V1 or ENEL15 Battery Issue"
In response to Reply # 33

Atlanta, US

The Battery University link Neil posted is my reference point as well. Speaking specifically of Lithium Ion batteries, they have some test results that provide evidence for the benefits on battery life of recharging at 40-50%. They also indicate that Li-ion batteries do not need to be fully discharged and recharged as there is no memory issue.

The cautions about heat are important and probably the biggest issue affecting battery life.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Fall Workshops - Golf Photography at the Tour Championship and Fall Color in the Smokies

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2523 Previous topic | Next topic