Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2504
View in linear mode

Subject: "V1 w/28-300 vs D800 w/28-300 Sharpness Test" Previous topic | Next topic
walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Wed 02-Jan-13 03:05 PM
697 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"V1 w/28-300 vs D800 w/28-300 Sharpness Test"
Wed 02-Jan-13 03:37 PM by walk43

Pennsylvania, US

I did a simple test this morning comparing my V1 against my D800 at 300mm to see if the the 2.7 crop factor on the V1 would be better than the D800 DX crop factor then cropped again to the same FOV as the V1 image. Making them both at 810mm (effective FOV) shots.

I mounted the D800 w/sb-600 flash on my tripod with my 28-300VR and took a picture. Then I mounted the 28-300 to my V1 with the FT1 and my SB-N5 flash and took a picture. Both pics were at 5.6, ISO 800 and 1/60th sec at about 15 feet. I know there are differences in the flashes etc., but I am comparing what my individual set-ups do.. not total controls to have ALL things exactly the same.

Nothing real scientific... just both from the same spot with the same settings and both with their flash capability. The focal length on the D800 was in DX mode to get the very best of the 28-300 lens center...so the net FL is 450mm on the D800. The V1 FL is 810mm with the 2.7x factor. I then cropped the lower left "Whole Grain" symbol of the pic from both camera shots (see pic 1 for the final crop) and resized them to be the same FOV.

So my test is to see if the V1 with 810mm (pic 3) is better/worse than the D800 cropped to the same FOV (pic 2) as the V1.

The first pic below is the picture of what the 'scene' looked like from the D800 shot.

The second shot is the D800 with the cropped out 'symbol' and only slightly adjusted exposure....no sharpening was applied to any picture... only minor exposure changes to make them both the same... as the D800 does a much better job with DR etc and I am looking for 'sharpness' differences betweem the 2 examples.

The third shot is with the V1 and 28-300 cropped out the symbol. Again no sharpening and for this shot no exposure changes.

In my opinion the V1 with the 28-300 (pic 3) did a much better job than the D800 (pic 2). Which is what I was hoping when I got the V1. I have 15 days to return the V1...but I will not return it ...now that it seems to do what I had hoped.

Dan
(Nikon D800 & V2)
"My most rewarding photos are those that capture something I didn't 'see' in the viewfinder....so just SHOOT."

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

kenuck Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2008Wed 02-Jan-13 04:48 PM
100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: V1 w/28-300 vs D800 w/28-300 Sharpness Test"
In response to Reply # 0

Burnaby, CA

Good shots...and the V1 is lighter and slightly cheaper lol

Ken

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Fri 04-Jan-13 06:04 AM
3326 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: V1 w/28-300 vs D800 w/28-300 Sharpness Test"
In response to Reply # 0

Dyserth, GB

Interesting Dan, thanks for posting. I used the same V1 + 28-300mm with success too.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2504 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.