Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #250
View in linear mode

Subject: "300mm "shootout": J1, D5100, D3x" Previous topic | Next topic
wcguy Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Nov 2009Sun 13-Nov-11 05:12 PM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"300mm "shootout": J1, D5100, D3x"

CA

I just found this on another site to be quite interesting.Comparisons with the J1,D5100 and D3x. Click below, I think folks will find the comments and comparisons quite interesting.This fellow has done some nice work with both the J1 and V1 on some of his other blogs. WC

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1058&message=39834839

'ITS WHAT YOU LEARN AFTER YOU KNOW IT ALL THAT COUNTS'

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007Mon 14-Nov-11 12:20 AM
2320 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: 300mm "shootout": J1, D5100, D3x"
In response to Reply # 0

Bay Area, US

Thanks for the link! It's interesting how even the cheap 55-200 lens beats out the others in bokeh, and funny choice of lens for the D3x. The J1 images looks fine at this size.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberTue 06-Dec-11 01:55 PM
3163 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: 300mm "shootout": J1, D5100, D3x"
In response to Reply # 1

Monterey Bay, US

Maybe the intent of the author was to level the playing field.
Although I really like my 28-300, especially on the D7000, it is unfair to put it on the D3x for comparison at 300mm.
At 28mm even wide open the lens is stellar, 300mm is easily its weakest focal length.
However, if they had put the 300mm f/2.8 on the D3x it would have made the other combinations look bad.
Mostly what we are seeing is the difference in the lens, all three cameras are probably quite good.
I would like to see a comparison of the 3 cameras with the same lens.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Casey Veranth Registered since 27th Nov 2011Thu 08-Dec-11 03:51 AM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: 300mm "shootout": J1, D5100, D3x"
In response to Reply # 2

US

interesting...has anyone tried the 1 series with some of the better fx telephoto lenses?

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #250 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.