Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #247
View in linear mode

Subject: "V1 with AF-s adaptor?" Previous topic | Next topic
eric k Registered since 31st May 2007Sat 12-Nov-11 09:36 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"V1 with AF-s adaptor?"

San Diego, US

Has anyone tried the V1 with the AF-s adaptor? Or, has anyone seen the AF-s adaptor? I was thinking about using the V1 with my 300/4 AF-s for birds. Any ideas .... I've seen a few digiscoping shots taken with a Kowa 88 /V1 and they looked pretty good for digiscope.

Eric Kallen

http://egk.smugmug.com/Photography/RECENT-PHOTOS

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: V1 with AF-s adaptor?
wcguy Silver Member
13th Nov 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
03rd Dec 2011
Len Shepherd Gold Member
05th Dec 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
04th Dec 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
17th Dec 2011
critidoc Silver Member
22nd Dec 2011
          Reply message RE: V1 with AF-s adaptor on the way!
RRRoger Silver Member
23rd Dec 2011
critidoc Silver Member
23rd Dec 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
23rd Dec 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
23rd Dec 2011
tgreenwald Silver Member
25th Dec 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
29th Dec 2011
jpFoto
29th Dec 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
29th Dec 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
30th Dec 2011
eric k
13th Jan 2012
KnightPhoto Gold Member
13th Jan 2012

wcguy Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Nov 2009Sun 13-Nov-11 01:15 AM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: V1 with AF-s adaptor?"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

Its called the FT1 adapter and it is not yet available, as per the Nikon site.

'ITS WHAT YOU LEARN AFTER YOU KNOW IT ALL THAT COUNTS'

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 03-Dec-11 01:39 AM
3163 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: V1 with AF-s adaptor?"
In response to Reply # 1

Monterey Bay, US

It was supposed to be available in November.

Perhaps Nikon is stalling in order to sell more CX lens.
The $100 rebate is a hint that they are not selling as many as they want.

I actually got a rebate on two extra lens at B&H.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Mon 05-Dec-11 08:56 AM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: V1 with AF-s adaptor?"
In response to Reply # 2

Yorkshire, GB

>It was supposed to be available in November.
Whilst the V1 is made in China Nikon's plan might have been to make the adapter in Thailand - which recently flooded out.
One of the potential V1 attractions for me is it's 10 MP is easily more than enough for video. Combined with the 2.7x crop factor the 300 becomes FX equivalent 800mm f2.8.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sun 04-Dec-11 04:14 AM
4265 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: V1 with AF-s adaptor?"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

Those Kowa scopes are supposed to be pretty good!

My dealer surprisingly said she thought I'd have mine BEFORE Christmas, whereas in the past she was telling me February. We'll see I guess. It would be nice because I would have time during Christmas to take it out for some trials.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 17-Dec-11 02:30 PM
3163 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: V1 with AF-s adaptor?"
In response to Reply # 3

Monterey Bay, US

They are now selling in Europe.
The US price of the Nikon FT-1 lens adapter: $269.97
The release is eminent.
Let us know where we can order one.

critidoc Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Feb 2007Thu 22-Dec-11 09:10 PM
214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: V1 with AF-s adaptor?"
In response to Reply # 5

Kingsville, US

Available 12/23/11 in the USA

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberFri 23-Dec-11 02:30 AM
#7. "RE: V1 with AF-s adaptor on the way!"
In response to Reply # 6
Fri 23-Dec-11 02:51 AM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

I just ordered mine from Amazon (Service Photo has them).
I like the extra layer of protection that Amazon has provided me + fast free shipping.

I can't wait to try out my new 75-810 equivalent lens (AF-S Nikkor 28-300).
Although, I may use my 35mm f/1.8 DX first.

critidoc Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Feb 2007Fri 23-Dec-11 08:29 PM
214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: V1 with AF-s adaptor on the way!"
In response to Reply # 7

Kingsville, US

got mine today from service photo, it works great with the 70-200mm vr, will try it with my 300 vr 2.8 tomorrow. Handheld shots with the 70-200, sharp, and no problems. WOW!

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Fri 23-Dec-11 10:00 PM
4265 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: V1 with AF-s adaptor on the way!"
In response to Reply # 8

Alberta, CA

Thanks Peter, please keep us posted!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberFri 23-Dec-11 11:44 PM
#10. "RE: V1 with AF-s adaptor on the way!"
In response to Reply # 9

Monterey Bay, US

Peter, Please try your V1 in the near dark with one of those lens.
If you have the N1 10mm f/2.8, please compare.

One thing people don't think about as much as they should is the light.
The lighted image is what makes the picture.
A big lens like the 70-200 or 300mm f2.8 lets in a lot of light even if you do only use the center part.
I am hoping that this will help with "low light" shots.

tgreenwald Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2005Sun 25-Dec-11 02:29 PM
1467 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#11. "RE: V1 with AF-s adaptor on the way!"
In response to Reply # 10

High Springs , FL, US

This adaptor and the V1 are both on display at Delray Camera Shop in Delray Beach,FL. The staff was preoccupied with "testing" so I did not get any face time with it but they had a 300mm f2.8 on the V1 and the results were impressive. If someone is in the area perhaps they can head over and test it out and post as I have to work . I'm thinking this could be great for macro?

www.teddgreenwald.com

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberThu 29-Dec-11 08:31 PM
#12. "RE: V1 with AF-s adaptor on the way!"
In response to Reply # 11

Monterey Bay, US

The big green truck just delivered my FT-1
The lens cap says made in China
The body cap and base both say made in Japan
My Serial nos are US----698
It is smaller and lighter than I expected.

I tried it on my 14-24 (which outweighs the camera and adapter by a considerable sum) and it works.

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Thu 29-Dec-11 10:12 PM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: V1 with AF-s adaptor on the way!"
In response to Reply # 12
Thu 29-Dec-11 10:14 PM by jpFoto

US

>The big green truck just delivered my FT-1

Roger

I'm curious. FedX trucks are white and purple and UPS's are brown. The only green trucks that ever stop at my house are owned by Waste Management and they make regular pickups, but I have never had a delivery.

jP

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberThu 29-Dec-11 11:35 PM
#14. "RE: V1 with AF-s adaptor on the way!"
In response to Reply # 13

Monterey Bay, US

>>The big green truck just delivered my FT-1
>
>Roger
>
>I'm curious. FedX trucks are white and purple and UPS's are
>brown. The only green trucks that ever stop at my house are
>owned by Waste Management and they make regular pickups, but I
>have never had a delivery.
>
>jP
Call the UPS truck brown if you want, it is actually somewhere between that and green.
I am actually happy to see my delivery in any color truck.

I just put my 28-300 on and am going outside for a few quick shots.....

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberFri 30-Dec-11 12:35 AM
#15. "RE: V1 with AF-s adaptor on the way!"
In response to Reply # 14
Sat 31-Dec-11 02:06 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

Sorry but that bird was too fast in the almost dark to catch at 300mm f/5.6.
I will try again during daylight.

I think the lens that are really going to perform well are the fast primes.
The little 35mm f1.8 DX not only balances well but seems to perform equally so.
The quality and color cast were good in the movie clip I just took inside my house.

Why should I be surprised?
The FT-1 adapter is now on Amazon for $229
I paid $269 + 25 extra for three day shipping that took UPS a week to get to me.

eric k Registered since 31st May 2007Fri 13-Jan-12 12:17 AM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: V1 with AF-s adaptor on the way!"
In response to Reply # 15

San Diego, US

Here's some shots I found using a V1/with a 300mm and a 1.4TC ... I found the link in a digiscoping Yahoo group. The images and video are doubleplusgood.

Eric Kallen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7892550@N03/6678454199/in/photostream/

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Fri 13-Jan-12 01:58 AM
#17. "RE: V1 with AF-s adaptor on the way!"
In response to Reply # 16

Alberta, CA

>Here's some shots I found using a V1/with a 300mm and a 1.4TC
>... I found the link in a digiscoping Yahoo group. The images
>and video are doubleplusgood.
>
>Eric Kallen
>
>
>http://www.flickr.com/photos/7892550@N03/6678454199/in/photostream/

Thanks for that - these look extremely promising!

I am surprised by the shallowness of the DOF though.

My adaptor is supposed to come in by month-end.

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #247 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.