nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Prospective buyer questions - J1/J2/V1/V2.

sabre

Bedfordshire, UK
4591 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
sabre Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2006
Mon 31-Dec-12 02:07 PM

In another Nikonians forum I have been bemoaning Nikon's failure to produce the long-overdue D400 as a successor to the D200/D300 (see http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=190&topic_id=86158&mesg_id=86158). As a result of my dissatisfaction at the endless wait for such a camera I have decided to explore a few other photographic equipment avenues (not as a replacement for my D200, but as something complementary).

I am wondering if the Nikon ONE models should be something I consider, though my dissatisfaction with Nikon's product strategy leaves me feeling less inclined to contribute to their profits presently. Nevertheless, I need to explore the ONE models to ensure I have not left any stone unturned in my quest. Therefore, I have the following questions that I would be pleased if some of you ONE model users could respond to:

1. I notice that the J1 and V1 have now been reduced heavily in price, presumably as a way of exhausting stocks now that the J2 and V2 are on sale. The price differences in the UK (and presumably elsewhere) between the version 1 and 2 models are startling now that the version 1 models have been reduced, with the older versions now costing around half the price of the newer versions. This makes the older versions quite an attractive proposition ...BUT, based on your experience of the ONE cameras, would you go for the older versions and enjoy the money saving, or spend the extra and go for the 'improved' specification and features of the newer versions?

2. What do the newer versions (J2/V2) really offer in terms of improved functions and features compared to the older versions (J1/J2)?

3. I prefer to have a viewfinder on my cameras, so I suppose I would need to consider the V1/V2 ...however, I am not totally sure of how fully featured the J1/J2 models are compared to the V1/V2 models ...and I cannot ignore the price difference between the J and V models. How good is the viewfinder on the V1/V2 for a long-sighted chap like me who usually wears spectacles? Is the viewfinder (and the extra features) of the V-series models good enough to exclude the J-series models from my considerations?

4. I notice there is a limited choice of lenses currently available for the ONE series cameras. They seem to be sold with the body as either just the 10-30mm, or as a twin kit with the 10-30mm and 30-110mm lenses. Which do you use, or which would you recommend? Why?

5. Other cameras I am currently considering are the Sony NEX6 and NEX7, Olympus PEN E-PL5 and OM-D E-M5, as well as advanced compacts such as the Sony RX100. I am not considering the Fuji XE-1 or X-Pro1 models as they cost more than £1000 and therefore defeat the object of the exercise by getting too close to the price of a D300S which I am trying to avoid. Bearing in mind this wide choice of competitor products, do you regret your purchase of a ONE camera when compared to other cameras available on the market? If so, why? If not, why?

I should add here that any camera I am likely to purchase would be mainly used for street photography, architecture shots, cityscapes, family snaps. I am also a big fan of B&W images. I do have access to CS6 and LR4 and various other tools (Photomatix, etc) for post-processing, though I do prefer to get things right in-camera if possible, so I do not want to purchase any camera that will need lots of work done to all the images it captures.

I will be grateful for answers to any/all of the above from users of the J1/J2/V1/V2 cameras. I would prefer to hear from real users (short-term or long-term) rather than speculators. Many thanks in advance.

Steve (Bedfordshire, England)
My Nikonians Gallery- please visit and leave a comment
A Nikon in the hand is worth two in the bag!

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Prospective buyer questions - J1/J2/V1/V2.
Reply message RE: Prospective buyer questions - J1/J2/V1/V2. (FLASH)

G