Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2457
View in linear mode

Subject: "Prospective buyer questions - J1/J2/V1/V2." Previous topic | Next topic
sabre Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2006Mon 31-Dec-12 02:07 PM
4581 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Prospective buyer questions - J1/J2/V1/V2."

Bedfordshire, GB

In another Nikonians forum I have been bemoaning Nikon's failure to produce the long-overdue D400 as a successor to the D200/D300 (see http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=190&topic_id=86158&mesg_id=86158). As a result of my dissatisfaction at the endless wait for such a camera I have decided to explore a few other photographic equipment avenues (not as a replacement for my D200, but as something complementary).

I am wondering if the Nikon ONE models should be something I consider, though my dissatisfaction with Nikon's product strategy leaves me feeling less inclined to contribute to their profits presently. Nevertheless, I need to explore the ONE models to ensure I have not left any stone unturned in my quest. Therefore, I have the following questions that I would be pleased if some of you ONE model users could respond to:

1. I notice that the J1 and V1 have now been reduced heavily in price, presumably as a way of exhausting stocks now that the J2 and V2 are on sale. The price differences in the UK (and presumably elsewhere) between the version 1 and 2 models are startling now that the version 1 models have been reduced, with the older versions now costing around half the price of the newer versions. This makes the older versions quite an attractive proposition ...BUT, based on your experience of the ONE cameras, would you go for the older versions and enjoy the money saving, or spend the extra and go for the 'improved' specification and features of the newer versions?

2. What do the newer versions (J2/V2) really offer in terms of improved functions and features compared to the older versions (J1/J2)?

3. I prefer to have a viewfinder on my cameras, so I suppose I would need to consider the V1/V2 ...however, I am not totally sure of how fully featured the J1/J2 models are compared to the V1/V2 models ...and I cannot ignore the price difference between the J and V models. How good is the viewfinder on the V1/V2 for a long-sighted chap like me who usually wears spectacles? Is the viewfinder (and the extra features) of the V-series models good enough to exclude the J-series models from my considerations?

4. I notice there is a limited choice of lenses currently available for the ONE series cameras. They seem to be sold with the body as either just the 10-30mm, or as a twin kit with the 10-30mm and 30-110mm lenses. Which do you use, or which would you recommend? Why?

5. Other cameras I am currently considering are the Sony NEX6 and NEX7, Olympus PEN E-PL5 and OM-D E-M5, as well as advanced compacts such as the Sony RX100. I am not considering the Fuji XE-1 or X-Pro1 models as they cost more than £1000 and therefore defeat the object of the exercise by getting too close to the price of a D300S which I am trying to avoid. Bearing in mind this wide choice of competitor products, do you regret your purchase of a ONE camera when compared to other cameras available on the market? If so, why? If not, why?

I should add here that any camera I am likely to purchase would be mainly used for street photography, architecture shots, cityscapes, family snaps. I am also a big fan of B&W images. I do have access to CS6 and LR4 and various other tools (Photomatix, etc) for post-processing, though I do prefer to get things right in-camera if possible, so I do not want to purchase any camera that will need lots of work done to all the images it captures.

I will be grateful for answers to any/all of the above from users of the J1/J2/V1/V2 cameras. I would prefer to hear from real users (short-term or long-term) rather than speculators. Many thanks in advance.

Cheers

Steve (Bedfordshire, England)
My Nikonians Gallery- please visit and leave a comment
A Nikon in the hand is worth two in the bag!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Prospective buyer questions - J1/J2/V1/V2.
jbloom Gold Member
31st Dec 2012
sabre Silver Member
31st Dec 2012
jbloom Gold Member
01st Jan 2013
DavidHarsay
31st Dec 2012
walk43 Gold Member
31st Dec 2012
kenuck Silver Member
01st Jan 2013
sabre Silver Member
01st Jan 2013
jbloom Gold Member
01st Jan 2013
kenuck Silver Member
01st Jan 2013
walk43 Gold Member
01st Jan 2013
Reply message RE: Prospective buyer questions - J1/J2/V1/V2. (FLASH)
DavidHarsay
12th Jan 2013
walk43 Gold Member
12th Jan 2013
jbloom Gold Member
12th Jan 2013
walk43 Gold Member
12th Jan 2013
jbloom Gold Member
12th Jan 2013
walk43 Gold Member
12th Jan 2013
VR8 Silver Member
13th Jan 2013
sabre Silver Member
01st Jan 2013
walk43 Gold Member
01st Jan 2013
sabbey51 Gold Member
01st Jan 2013

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Mon 31-Dec-12 02:53 PM
6295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Prospective buyer questions - J1/J2/V1/V2."
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

I recently got the V1 after they steeply discounted it. I'll let those who have used both the V1 and V2 speak to the differences.

With my glasses on, I can just see the entire frame in the viewfinder. But the VF has no eyecup, so in a strong-light situation it may be difficult. I normally shoot without my glasses anyway as I find that more convenient and the VF diopter adjustment is sufficient to allow me to do so.

One of the biggest advantages of the 1 Series for people shooting Nikon DSLRs is the use of the FT-1 adapter, which allows you to use your existing Nikon lenses on the 1 Series body, gaining the advantage of the 2.7x crop factor. For me, that means I can use the camera both as a small walk-around camera with the 1-Series lenses and as the imager for really long telephoto work. However, the relatively small sensor of the 1 Series means I need to keep the ISO pretty low, so fast lenses and/or good light are needed to achieve really good IQ. It doesn't sound like that is a use that is on your agenda, but it may be worth considering.

If I were buying a camera as a stand-alone system, I doubt the 1 Series would be my choice. One of the m4/3 cameras would probably be more my choice because of the larger sensor and because of the greater range of lenses available. Still, I'm enjoying my V1 so far.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

sabre Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2006Mon 31-Dec-12 04:18 PM
4581 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Prospective buyer questions - J1/J2/V1/V2."
In response to Reply # 1

Bedfordshire, GB

Hi Jon,

Thank you for that excellent response.

I do occasionally do some wildlife and birding photography - my wife and I are members of a well know wildlife trust so we have excellent access to some of the best nature reserves in the UK. Typically, I only do this type of photography two or three times per year and I usually take my D200, TC-14EII, and 300mm F4. This combination provides stunning access to wetland birds and wildlife - at least better than my photographic abilities! So, maybe a V-series with FT-1 and 300mm F4 could also give me that option, but not sure if this would work with the TC-14EII (or would even need it with the 2.7x crop factor).

Currently, I set my D200 to ISO 400 for most wildlife photography, cranking it up to ISO 800 on dull days. It sounds from what you are saying that using a V-series might not offer this flexibility due to the limitations of a small sensor?

I am intrigued as to which four-thirds you might consider as an alternative to the V1.

Cheers

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Tue 01-Jan-13 12:30 PM
6295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Prospective buyer questions - J1/J2/V1/V2."
In response to Reply # 2

Wethersfield, US

Steve,

ISO 800 would definitely be my upper limit on the V1 for anything like a large print. I'm really trying to keep it at ISO 400 or below when possible. It does a pretty good job of noise reduction for JPEGs, so if I'm shooting for Web use or only small prints, ISO 800 or 1600 is fine. Even ISO 3200 is usable if I'm only targeting Web use. There are several places on the Web where you can see example images at various ISOs, and it would probably be best to make your own judgement as to what meets your standards.

I haven't delved into the m4/3 stuff enough to make a choice. I'm really not in the market right now. But the OM-D certainly looks intriguing.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

DavidHarsay Registered since 10th Sep 2012Mon 31-Dec-12 04:25 PM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Prospective buyer questions - J1/J2/V1/V2."
In response to Reply # 1

Fort Myers, US

Same situation as you and many others... I'm waiting for the D400.

Currently I have a D700 with a bag of lenses, a D5100 with a couple of inexpensive lenses, and a Canon S95.

I was interested at first in replacing the S95 with the P7700 Played around with the P7700 and I just didn't like the menu system too much, thought I'd wait for it to grow on me and maybe at a later time.

Then along came the $299 pricing for the V1, and it got my attention. So I've read every article, forum, review, that I could get my hands on for a couple of days, and bought it.

With the lower prices, the crowds of people who jumped in, the consensus is mostly very positive for the V1, less so for the J1 as people posting in forums are more of an enthusiast-to-semipro-to-pro users, and the J1 generally does not appeal to them (no mechanical shutter, no view-finder). Also, the battery in the V1 is the same as D7000/D600/D800 so that's a big draw. (you lose that with the J1, J2, V2)

The camera is a lot of fun, at the upper end of it's capabilities, it shoots full 10MP 12bit Compressed RAW at 60 frames per second. It has a huge buffer, but then it's slow to transfer. 10 frames per second with continuous focus. 5 frames per second with Mechanical shutter, as this produces higher quality pictures, especially with moving objects and flash.

It focuses ultra quick and accurate with the native lenses and good light. Much better than the D5100.

Most of the lenses are sharp, and focus quick, and the VR effective. The 30-100 stands out, and so does the 18.5 f1.8.

The FT-1 adapter is a lot of fun if you're into ultra-tele type of use, as it makes the 70-200VR f2.8 into a crisp 540mm equivalent with excellent resolution down to the pixel level. Now the FT-1 makes it into a different tool altogether, as it's similar to a 2.7X teleconverter compared to the full-frame camera, and it's not compact. The AF is a little bit more sluggish, just as if you used a TC, but you do have more light at 100 ISO, which is where this camera works well. ISO performance will be similar to the D200, and the noise at higher ISO's is pleasant and easily corrected inLR.

So... I bought a second V1, 30-100 lens, the 10mm prime, the FT-1, SBN5 flash, and will probably buy the 18.5mm. I've also sold the s95, and the D5100 and it's lenses. The V1 completely replaced those (keep in mund I still have the D700).

The 10-30mm kit lens is probably the weakest, so I did sell one of the two I had on e-bay, fetched $110.

From what I've read, the V2 works even better than the V1 using the FT-1 and great glass, but otherwise the 40% more pixels are not useful as they resolve about the same as the FT-1. It has better handling with improved controls, but the picture quality is the same... which isn't bad at all.

Downsides for me are that it doesn't do automatic bracketing. Also the AF is a little bit frustrating sometimes with the long lenses, especially with the TC added. But that's still better AF than the D5100.

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Mon 31-Dec-12 05:30 PM
703 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Prospective buyer questions - J1/J2/V1/V2."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 31-Dec-12 05:33 PM by walk43

Pennsylvania, US

Steve,

Jon and David did a nice job summarizing for you and I won't repeat what they said since I agree with all of their comments.

I will repeat that the price of the V1 was the clincher for me to buy it. But still...the camera was $299 the FT1 was $190 the flash (used) was $90 a few other goodies like a strap, LCD protector, Fotodiox Grip etc added about another $70....so the investment for me was about $650. Not a small investment. But...my sole "functional not financial" reason to buy was for the 2.7 crop ability to use my 70-200VR, 28-300VR and my 300 f/4 w/TC17. There is no way I could have afforded the long glass with TC's on my D800 to get out to 1377mm. And I have shot several pics at 810mm hand held and on my monopod that I am very satisfied with. So the only thing I need to do now is brush up my technique for the long shots.

I can not advise you about which one to buy. DXO rates the sensor on the V1 higher than the V2... can't really tell you why but I am sure that others with both the V1 and V2 in their hands can tell you the differences they experience.

In my opinion, if I did not have a Nikon DSLR and some good glass I don't believe I would have bought the V1. But you have the D200 and some Nikkor lenses so as a 2.7x teleconvertor, and as a second carry around camera, I think the V1 or V2 is the way I would go. There is so much versatility availability for you.

With my 70-200VR I am now getting very crisp shots...but it's no longer a carry around. I have the 10-30mm lens that came with the kit and may add a 30-110mm later as I hear that the 30-110 is a better lens. But time will tell.

When I want long shots I will use the V1....when I want all other shots I will use my D800. Makes a nice combo.

Dan
(Nikon D800 & V2)
"My most rewarding photos are those that capture something I didn't 'see' in the viewfinder....so just SHOOT."

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

kenuck Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2008Tue 01-Jan-13 12:10 AM
100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Prospective buyer questions - J1/J2/V1/V2."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 01-Jan-13 01:50 PM by kenuck

Burnaby, CA

I agree with many of the previous comments. I got the V1 in August and was very pleased with it and the 10-30 and 30-110 lenses along with the FT-1. I now also have a V2 (my wife gets the V1) though haven't had time to use it much it has better ergonomics - grip, controls etc. Built-in flash OK though I prefer the bounce capabilities of the SB-N5 and will be getting the SB-N7 for more power. BTW the reason I got the V1 was because of the small sensor. Keep in mind that the compact cameras with big sensors (NEX etc) will require DX sized lenses so they will no longer be compact. I found that my D300 with 150-500 Sigma was so big and heavy I was rarely using it (and it required a heavy tripod to support it). I can get the same reach with the V1+FT-1+ a 200 to 300mm lens (a combination that is wearable on a belt) - hand holdable or with a monopod if VR equipped. I use both the V1 and V2 viewfinder 90% of the time and I wear glasses. I find noise to be manageable in the ISO 400 to 800 range, but mostly I display on HD TV (slide shows or video). If you want to see what a V1 with good glass is capable of, check out http://www.naturalart.ca/artist/fieldtests/fieldtest_NikonV1.html

Ken

sabre Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2006Tue 01-Jan-13 01:33 PM
#7. "RE: Prospective buyer questions - J1/J2/V1/V2."
In response to Reply # 0

Bedfordshire, GB

Thanks everybody for the feedback and opinions.

David and Ken have mentioned the SB-N5 flash. I had not realised that the V1 does not have a built-in flash. To buy the flash in the UK adds about another £100 (US$160) to the price. I guess this still means the camera solution is affordable with the heavily reduced price of the V1.

Seeing as one of my stated aims for the camera would be family snaps, I can see that the flash would get a fair amount of use. For those who use the SB-N5 flash already, how do you find that experience? Is it annoying, frustrating, fiddly to have to keep attaching the flash? Does the need to carry around the flash with you somewhat negate the experience of having a small compact camera that is ready to shoot in a instant?

Cheers

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Tue 01-Jan-13 01:42 PM
#8. "RE: Prospective buyer questions - J1/J2/V1/V2."
In response to Reply # 7

Wethersfield, US

Steve,

You may also not be aware that Nikon has announced a new flash, the SB-N7, which is about 2 stops more powerful than the SB-N5. It's powered by AAA batteries rather than directly by the camera. I think it's supposed to become available this month, and I'm waiting for that rather than getting the SB-N5.

I'm not a fan of built-in flash anyway because I almost always bounce flash if I can, and because I really hate red-eye.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

kenuck Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2008Tue 01-Jan-13 01:47 PM
100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Prospective buyer questions - J1/J2/V1/V2."
In response to Reply # 7

Burnaby, CA

I found the ability to bounce flash makes up for the necessity to have the flash attached. I now have a V2 with built-in flash but still find I prefer the SB-N5 for the better quality of lighting. It does have limited power, however, so in bounce mode it works best in the under 8-10 ft range. It's also very small so it's not a nuisance and usually stayed on the V1. I recently bought a V1 for my daughter and they included the flash free.

Ken

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Tue 01-Jan-13 02:00 PM
703 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Prospective buyer questions - J1/J2/V1/V2."
In response to Reply # 7

Pennsylvania, US

I missed not haveing a flash when I got my V1 but held off until I tested it out with my personal use cases. I missed not having it after a week, so I bought the N5 used for $89 at Adorama. I have to say that I really do like it! Small, good price, no batteries, swivel and bounce and nice fit customized to the V1.

I only plan to use it indoors for short distances so the N5 should meet my needs...(until my needs change). Outside for fill flash etc. may be an issue, but my use of the V1 will be family shots indoors only occasionally...I will use my D800 for most of my photographs except for outdoor 'long reach' shots, where I will use the V1 as a teleconvertor or for macro/close-up shots outdoor where the flash should reach nicely using my 105VR at shorter distances.

Dan
(Nikon D800 & V2)
"My most rewarding photos are those that capture something I didn't 'see' in the viewfinder....so just SHOOT."

DavidHarsay Registered since 10th Sep 2012Sat 12-Jan-13 04:11 AM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Prospective buyer questions - J1/J2/V1/V2. (FLASH)"
In response to Reply # 7
Sat 12-Jan-13 04:12 AM by DavidHarsay

Fort Myers, US

I like the small flash, direct flash rarely produces good quality shots, so the ability to bounce does so much more than what you could with a built in flash.

I wish they had a gel kit, and wish it was more powerful, but it generally out-powers point-and-shoot camera flashes anyway.

The V1 has a large capacity and high-utility battery from a number of perspectives... all other Nikon 1 systems lack this advantage at this time. So a flash utilizing the battery is a perfect idea for the V1.

Fill flash outdoors... I don't know. You have to be good to make this work well for any flash, and this one has some additional challenges as it lacks the power especially for longer distances than say 15-20 feet One thing to point out is that with the swivel function it can potentially better trigger something like an SB700 slave under an umbrella or with bounce, so you can get a lot more creative.

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Sat 12-Jan-13 12:06 PM
#15. "RE: Prospective buyer questions - J1/J2/V1/V2. (FLASH)"
In response to Reply # 14
Sat 12-Jan-13 12:08 PM by walk43

Pennsylvania, US

David,

You mention that the V1 will "potentially better trigger something like an SB700".

This brings up a question that I have been meaning to ask. Does the V1/SB-N5 have commander functions that will trigger a remote SB-600.....or is it the SB600 unit itself that senses the on camera flash and is then triggered?

I also have a few SB-R200 flash units for my R1 System. I have assumed (perhaps wrongly) that they needed a camera with CLS capability to trigger those flashes and also the SB-600. I have to set the channels and groups all the same....so will the V1 trigger a remote and do I need to worry about the flash settings?

PS: I admit that I have little tech knowledge about flashes but apparently am now in a learning process (as always). Guess I could just test this ...but I think if I ask the question I will get a better understanding.

Thanks....

Dan
(Nikon D800 & V2)

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sat 12-Jan-13 01:51 PM
#16. "RE: Prospective buyer questions - J1/J2/V1/V2. (FLASH)"
In response to Reply # 15

Wethersfield, US

The SB-700 has a "dumb" optical trigger mode (known as SU-4 mode after the separate Nikon accessory that can be added to older flashes to perform optical triggering). That means you could trigger an SB-700 with the SB-N5, but both flashes would have to be in manual mode, not TTL.

Unfortunately, the SB-600 does not support SU-4 mode, nor does the SB-R200. You would need a separate optical slave trigger, such as the SU-4 or one of the cheaper, but equally effective, alternatives. (Note that the SU-4 was designed to do TTL with the TTL system used for older film cameras but will not do TTL with modern cameras.)

As far as I know, there is no way of doing off-camera TTL flash with Nikon 1 cameras.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Sat 12-Jan-13 02:01 PM
#17. "RE: Prospective buyer questions - J1/J2/V1/V2. (FLASH)"
In response to Reply # 16
Sat 12-Jan-13 02:12 PM by walk43

Pennsylvania, US

Thanks Jon,

So here is another question. There is a product out there that is basically an optical flash 'sensor' that mounts to the hot shoe on the SB-600. Then the bottom of the 'sensor' has a threaded mount to screw onto a small table top tripod. It is a 'remote flash trigger' and is supposed to sense the 'line of sight' flash from any camera and trigger the flash mounted on the 'sensor'....which would be the SB-600. Would this work with the V1 and the SB-N5.

My hopes would be that the SB-N5 would fire at the remote slave/sensor, the sb-600 would fire at the subject and the V1 (still be in iTTL mode to regulate the SB-N5 flash return) and properly expose the image.

Dan
(Nikon D800 & V2)

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sat 12-Jan-13 02:07 PM
#18. "RE: Prospective buyer questions - J1/J2/V1/V2. (FLASH)"
In response to Reply # 17

Wethersfield, US

Yes, and you will probably find it listed in the link I supplied above to "alternatives." But, again, both the SB-N5 and the SB-600 will have to be in manual mode, meaning you will have to set the flash power levels yourself.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Sat 12-Jan-13 02:22 PM
#19. "RE: Prospective buyer questions - J1/J2/V1/V2. (FLASH)"
In response to Reply # 18
Sat 12-Jan-13 02:44 PM by walk43

Pennsylvania, US

Yes it's the same as in your alternatives link....but through DinoDirect it is only $6.69. I think it is worth trying out.

I can use my SB-600 (perhaps even with my Better-Beamer) mounted to the sensor on a stand and trigger it with the SB-N5. Should get me lots of light for my V1 up close with the 300 f/4 and TC17. We'll see...

Thanks Again!!

Dan
(Nikon D800 & V2)

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Sun 13-Jan-13 12:58 AM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Prospective buyer questions - J1/J2/V1/V2. (FLASH)"
In response to Reply # 19

Ottawa, CA

I had the V1, now the V2, but have not had much of a chance to use it. The flash issue interests me. I can fire an Sb-900 in su -4 mode from the v2, the on camera flash is set for -3ev and manual at 1/32, its lowest setting. The SB-900 has to be set manually. it worked better than I expected but I would prefer ore control. Especially to use it for fill flash will long lenses and for macro out of doors. I am just wondering if i could lower the new accessory flash even more and still drive the slave flash? That would be off camera flash about as good as it gets with the V2.

Victor

My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

sabre Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2006Tue 01-Jan-13 04:10 PM
#11. "RE: Prospective buyer questions - J1/J2/V1/V2."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 01-Jan-13 04:10 PM by sabre

Bedfordshire, GB

Thanks for the feedback regarding the flash, Jon, Ken, Dan. I have now seen the SB-N7 being advertised at Amazon UK for £147 (US$235) with a release date of 31st Jan. I am guessing that the price will fall once the item is available.

I have not yet looked at other photo equipment retailers, so I need to check their prices for the V1, lenses, flash, FT-1. Unfortunately, I am restricted to buying from UK/EU retailers, because if I purchase from the US I will be hit with exorbitant shipping costs and customs duty charges, which will wipe out any US purchase savings.

Big question: Black or White? Which colour did you choose and why?

I know this can be a personal thing, and I am not asking because I cannot make my mind up regarding fashion choice. I suspect that the material finish on the two different coloured versions is different; e.g., matte vs gloss, grippy vs slippy, metallic vs plastic. Then there are the other issues such as depreciation affected by colour choice, availability of lenses in a particular colour, the FT-1 appears to be available only in black, my Nikkor lenses are in black anyway, etc.

Strangely, in a world where black cameras usually attract a premium price over their coloured/chrome siblings, the white V1 seems to be more expensive by 10% than the black version.

Cheers

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Tue 01-Jan-13 04:28 PM
#12. "RE: Prospective buyer questions - J1/J2/V1/V2."
In response to Reply # 11
Tue 01-Jan-13 04:30 PM by walk43

Pennsylvania, US

Steve,

I think you hit on all the reasons to buy one color vs another.

What I see in the US is that black brings a higher price in general. I always get black...don't ask me why ...but it just looks more professional to me I guess. Adorama has a red 30-110 for $110 refurbished. That's the lowest price I have seen for a used/refurb 30-110 in the US. But for $129 I can get a black version. I will go for the black if I buy one, primarily because my V1 body is black and as you said the FT1 is black only...as far as I can tell. Just looks better to me all in one color but I know that some folks like to add a bit of flare. Resell is always easier if it's black in my opinion because the large majority of buyers have black gear.

I am debating the 30-110mm because if I want to go long I have my 28-300VR which I carry around in my V1 camera bag just in case when I don't take all my gear. It fits into my Lowepro Adventura 170 with all my V1 gear and gives me more reach and a bigger range. So I don't have to carry a bigger bag. I don't really see me going with the V1 on shoots without my good glass... so the 30-110 would be redundant to my 70-200, 300 f/4 and 28-300 which I have in my 'master bag' with my D800.

For what it's worth...

Dan
(Nikon D800 & V2)

sabbey51 Gold Member Nikonian since 10th Jan 2010Tue 01-Jan-13 09:18 PM
556 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Prospective buyer questions - J1/J2/V1/V2."
In response to Reply # 12

Saddle river, US

I've had the V1 kit since last winter, and it has served me well. I have the small flash, but rarely use it. I have the 10/2.8 but rarely use it. I primarily use the 10-30 and AE very happy with the IQ. As someone mentioned, the small sensor means small lenses - I can take the 10-30 mounted, and the 30-100 comes along in my pocket - no camera bag needed. Today I went skiing; the V1 + 10-30 fits in the inner pocket of my ski jacket (which keeps the battery nice and warm), the 30-100 goes in an outer pocket - no camera bag needed. I have the FT-1 and often carry it with my 50/1.4 or 35/1.8, but don't use it that often.

The V2 apparently scores lower on the IQ tests because the photo sites are smaller as it packs more pixels onto the same sized sensor.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2457 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.