Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2414
View in linear mode

Subject: "Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?" Previous topic | Next topic
dta116 Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Nov 2007Sat 29-Dec-12 10:31 PM
159 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"

Midland, TX, US

I think someone should start a list of lenses that will NOT autofocus with the FT-1. I went to the field today to try some lenses and found the 24-70mm f/2.8 works fine as well as the 300mm f/4, but unfortunately the lens I would love to autofocus will not, the 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6. For me this lens is the one I would love to see work with this combo.

The 300 is great but I would like to see a bit more reach for the wildlife. It is a bit hard to quickly locate the small birds with the 300 but the 80-400 has the zoom to help find them.

I will do more tests in the future to see how many lenses in my bag will actually autofocus with the FT-1.

Does anyone else have any that don't?

Dave Taylor

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?
Snappo Silver Member
30th Dec 2012
jbloom Gold Member
30th Dec 2012
dta116 Gold Member
30th Dec 2012
jbloom Gold Member
30th Dec 2012
walk43 Gold Member
30th Dec 2012
dta116 Gold Member
30th Dec 2012
walk43 Gold Member
30th Dec 2012
jbloom Gold Member
30th Dec 2012
walk43 Gold Member
30th Dec 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
30th Dec 2012
walk43 Gold Member
30th Dec 2012
jbloom Gold Member
30th Dec 2012
walk43 Gold Member
30th Dec 2012
dta116 Gold Member
30th Dec 2012
walk43 Gold Member
30th Dec 2012
walk43 Gold Member
30th Dec 2012
richardd300 Silver Member
30th Dec 2012
walk43 Gold Member
30th Dec 2012
30th Dec 2012
dta116 Gold Member
30th Dec 2012
31st Dec 2012
JonK Moderator
30th Dec 2012
30th Dec 2012
walk43 Gold Member
30th Dec 2012
30th Dec 2012
dta116 Gold Member
30th Dec 2012
walk43 Gold Member
30th Dec 2012
dta116 Gold Member
30th Dec 2012
31st Dec 2012
jbloom Gold Member
31st Dec 2012
31st Dec 2012
walk43 Gold Member
31st Dec 2012
31st Dec 2012
jbloom Gold Member
31st Dec 2012
31st Dec 2012
walk43 Gold Member
31st Dec 2012
dta116 Gold Member
31st Dec 2012
jbloom Gold Member
31st Dec 2012
31st Dec 2012
dta116 Gold Member
31st Dec 2012
31st Dec 2012
dta116 Gold Member
31st Dec 2012
walk43 Gold Member
31st Dec 2012
dta116 Gold Member
31st Dec 2012
walk43 Gold Member
31st Dec 2012
SRFast Silver Member
31st Dec 2012
walk43 Gold Member
31st Dec 2012
dta116 Gold Member
31st Dec 2012
31st Dec 2012
SRFast Silver Member
01st Jan 2013
10th Jan 2013

Snappo Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Apr 2004Sun 30-Dec-12 12:05 AM
290 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tulsa, US

My 1 V1 does not recognize the Sigma f/4 150 mm micro lens. Nikon AFS lens are fine.

an old duffer with the time to have fun,
Jim

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sun 30-Dec-12 01:03 AM
6509 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 30-Dec-12 01:04 AM by jbloom

Wethersfield, US

It is certain that any non-AF-S lens, like the 80-400, will not AF with the FT-1. So we don't really need to list those, I think.

Right now, the only Nikon AF-S lenses longer than 300mm are the big primes, 400/2.8, 500/4 and 600/4, and the 200-400/4.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

dta116 Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Nov 2007Sun 30-Dec-12 01:42 AM
159 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 2

Midland, TX, US

Well, That made for a very short list.....

Nikon AF-S only

Is it a technical issue, or is it something that can be addressed with firmware?

Dave Taylor

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sun 30-Dec-12 03:17 AM
6509 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 3

Wethersfield, US

Technical. The 1 System cameras and the FT-1 lack the "screwdriver" drive that the non-AF-S lenses require.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Sun 30-Dec-12 11:24 AM
706 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 0

Pennsylvania, US

Dave,

Glad you are enjoying the V1/FT1. I too purchased it for the reach... but you have puzzeled me a bit. With the 300 f/4 and a TC17 and the 2.7 crop factor on the V1 that makes it 1377mm. Too be honest that's far more reach than I can really handle at this point. How long do you want to go? And I agree with you that it is sometimes hard to find the subject at high mm. I have been using my 28-300 VR and it works fine to zoom in after locating the subject but doesn't work with the TC so 810mm is the max on it. Quite frankly that's about it for me using a monopod... unless the weather is good and I have my tripod set up I am not going to try my 300 w/TC17.

Dan
(Nikon D800, V2 & Sony HX400V SuperZoom)
"My most rewarding photos are those that capture something I didn't 'see' in the viewfinder....so just SHOOT."

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

dta116 Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Nov 2007Sun 30-Dec-12 01:31 PM
#6. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 5

Midland, TX, US

Dan, I do not use a TC with my 300, I do although, have it on a Monopod.

I will have to try my 28-300. I do not see any reason to go with a TC because of the light lost (The V2 is not known for high ISO) and another connection to make when there is already the FT-1 between the lens and the camera.

Thank you for your input, I never thought about the screw drive being missing.

The Ft-1 makes the whole "V1/V2 and a gazillion Nikkors" a much more interesting project. I have been looking into "Digiscoping" and this project seems much more appealing.

I wonder if it would work with a Sigma 1000mm?......

It may still be of value to continue to collect a list of 3 party lenses that DO work with the FT-1.

Dave Taylor

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Sun 30-Dec-12 04:44 PM
706 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 6
Sun 30-Dec-12 04:50 PM by walk43

Pennsylvania, US

Dave,

I too would like to see what others have found with 3rd party lenses on the V1. My belief is that may work but only in MF mode. I know (actually I read) they make a MF adapter for many 3rd party lenses but apparently the adapter(s) do not allow metering etc... so I don't want to go that route. You may want to look in the N1 forum on DPR to read what they are doing. I think it is mentioned there in a few threads.

I checked out your gear in your profile and you certainly have the gear for lots of options. One lens I noticed that you do NOT have is the 70-200 VR(II). I know many on the Forum who have that lens really like the results they get and say that the TC14 or TC17 work fine with it showing little ill effects.

I have the 70-200VR and plan to try it out next...both with the TC17 and without. With the TC it will give me 918mm at about f/4 so I am hopefull. Not testing much with my 300 f/4 yet, other than a few shots, since I want the VR to help me at those long mm's and the 300 f/4 does ot have it.

Dan
"My most rewarding photos are those that capture something I didn't 'see' in the viewfinder....so just SHOOT."

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sun 30-Dec-12 04:59 PM
#9. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 8

Wethersfield, US

The Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 I have works with the FT-1. Focus is very quick, too.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Sun 30-Dec-12 05:00 PM
#10. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 9
Sun 30-Dec-12 05:04 PM by walk43

Pennsylvania, US

Does it auto focus??? scratch that....you said it did!!!! So does that mean that only Nikkor non AF-s lenses won't work with the FT1 but other brand AF lenses may? Seems like from your post that they might!

So... if that's true I second Jon's request to have a list of any lenses that will auto focus, meter, etc. on the FT1

Dan

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sun 30-Dec-12 05:13 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 10

Chicago, US

That lens has Sigma's HST focusing motor in the lens just like the Nikon AF-S has Nikon's Silent Wave Motor for focusing within the lens.

The FT-1 does not have the screw drive and motor built into some Nikon dSLR and SLR bodies that provide the motor for auto-focusing with lenses without the built-in motor.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Sun 30-Dec-12 05:18 PM
#12. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 11
Sun 30-Dec-12 05:21 PM by walk43

Pennsylvania, US

George,

Thanks for the clarification!!! Do you mean HST or HSM? So I was assuming (dumb I guess) that when Nikon said only AF-S lenses would work with the FT1 they really meant that only lenses that have the internal focus motors in the lens will work...correct assumption? If so...then there may be LOTS of options available to V1 users (?)

Dan

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sun 30-Dec-12 05:21 PM
#13. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 10

Wethersfield, US

No, it means that third-party lenses that have an internal focusing motor (like Nikon's AF-S lenses do) may work with the FT-1.

Sigma designates such lenses as "HSM" lenses. (See chart.) I think we will have to see lens-by-lens which Sigma HSM lenses work with the FT-1. The same applies to Tokina lenses that have internal focusing motors.

Sigma has a 300-800 f/5.6 lens with HSM. That would be 2160mm equivalent... I don't even want to think about that!

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Sun 30-Dec-12 05:24 PM
#14. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 13
Sun 30-Dec-12 05:25 PM by walk43

Pennsylvania, US

In that case I would love to see a list of 3rd party lenses that have been tested by Nikonians on the V1/FT1 that work like AF-S!!

Where can we post such a list....moderator???

Dan

dta116 Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Nov 2007Sun 30-Dec-12 08:27 PM
#18. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 13

Midland, TX, US

I do believe you are correct Jon, Not all internal motor lenses will work, (at least 3rd party). I believe the Sigma 50-500 and the Sigma 105 have been tried and failed to autofocus (or meter for that mater).

I have the Sigma 300-800 and will try it shortly just to see, I suspect it too will not work. I don't know what the issue is but this thread may bear it out.

I think with perseverance, we can lick this issue. The hope for Nikon to give us the answer may be futile.

It really would be nice to get a bit closer to the answer then maybe have a sticky for the results. There seems to be a lot of interest in using the FT-1 with all of the lenses available at our disposal.

Dave Taylor

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Sun 30-Dec-12 08:30 PM
"RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"

Pennsylvania, US

Yes Dave...thanks for starting this thread!

Dan

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Sun 30-Dec-12 08:30 PM
#19. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 18
Sun 30-Dec-12 08:37 PM by walk43

Pennsylvania, US

Yes Dave...thanks for starting this thread!

Sorry this got duplicated....it happens sometimes when I post from my iPhone.

Dan

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sun 30-Dec-12 09:12 PM
3404 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 18

Dyserth, GB

Dave

<<I believe the Sigma 50-500 and the Sigma 105 have been tried and failed to autofocus (or meter for that mater)>>

Yes, I have tried both. Not just that, but fails to work totally and in any way at all. I think we can assume that only Nikon AF-S lenses will work. Pre-AF-S may, but maybe in manual only.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Sun 30-Dec-12 09:17 PM
#21. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 20
Sun 30-Dec-12 09:18 PM by walk43

Pennsylvania, US

Richard,

My Nikkor 18-35 ED lens (non AF-S) works in manual focus just fine on the FT1. Metering etc., just no AF.

Dan

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sun 30-Dec-12 09:56 PM
3404 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 21

Dyserth, GB

Thanks Dan, I thought this may be the case. I guess Nikon have either put a firmware block on 3rd party lenses being used, or at least limited the FT-1 connectivity to Nikon only lenses. If so, why they have done that is a mystery as it restricts versatility. It could well be that the 3rd party lens manufacturers didn't want to play ball!

Richard

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

dta116 Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Nov 2007Sun 30-Dec-12 10:34 PM
#23. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 20

Midland, TX, US

Well...Not true Richard, As stated the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 works well with the Ft-1, I'm still not sure all of the AF-S Nikkors will work. I guess they will need to be tested, as well as other AF lenses from the third parties.

Dave Taylor

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Mon 31-Dec-12 04:25 AM
#28. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 23

Dyserth, GB

I see that now, but can't understand why the 120-300mm will, but others won't. Concern for me is that damage to either camera or lens may occur. Both my 50-500 and 105mm gave a distinct "clicking" noise when fitted to the FT-1, so for that reason I'm not testing again.

Richard

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Sun 30-Dec-12 04:27 PM
4693 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

You want more than your 300 on your V? That's an effective 810mm! I tried my 200-400 and at 400 it's a battle to get the subject in frame. You could always add a TC if you can afford the light loss.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sun 30-Dec-12 06:14 PM
#15. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 7
Sun 30-Dec-12 06:17 PM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

At the request of Dan I have just tested both my Sigma 50-500mm OS and my new Sigma 105mm macro OS with my V1 + FT-1 and neither lenses will work. The message is "connect lens" flashing with "incorrect lens fitted". Neither lens will work and therefore there can be no Auto Focus. I have tried it with my 300mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8, 24-70mm f2.8, 16-35mm f4, 28-300mm f3.6-5.6 and 50mm f1.8 G and they all work and AF fine.

The 80-400mm won't focus as my understanding is that only AF-S will.

Richard

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Sun 30-Dec-12 06:22 PM
#16. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 15

Pennsylvania, US

Thanks Richard!!!

Guess it was too good to be true.

I owe you one free 'test'

Dan

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sun 30-Dec-12 06:47 PM
#17. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 16

Dyserth, GB

You're welcome Dan. Going to spend some time testing my new 105mm this week, but there's no doubt it's a very good lens and bares out all of the excellent reports.

Richard

dta116 Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Nov 2007Sun 30-Dec-12 10:50 PM
#24. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 0

Midland, TX, US

Update: I have just tried the Sigmonster 300-800 and it works fine with autofocus, as well as the Tamron 18-270mm DI II w/VC and the Sigma 17-70mm DC Macro HSM.

Strange goings on here....

Dave Taylor

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Sun 30-Dec-12 10:54 PM
#25. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 24

Pennsylvania, US

Dave,

Someone said that perhaps all Sigma needs to do (and maybe others)is to update the firmware in their lenses. Do you know if that is possible and if maybe some newer lenses (same lens just more recent mfg date) have a different firmware version that would make some compatible and others not? Just a thought for someone who may know the answer.

Dan

dta116 Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Nov 2007Sun 30-Dec-12 11:01 PM
#26. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 25

Midland, TX, US

Can't say Dan, My Sigmonster is over 4 years old and the 18-270 is 2 or better and they work.

Dave Taylor

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Mon 31-Dec-12 04:31 AM
#29. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 26

Dyserth, GB

Both my Sigma's are 1 year and 2 days old respectively. I am certain they were not old stock and anyway they would both be newer than the Sigmonster.

Richard

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Mon 31-Dec-12 03:57 AM
#27. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 25

Wethersfield, US

It may be possible but would probably require a trip to Sigma service. I remember that when Nikon came out with the D3 camera that auto-senses when a DX lens is attached and switches to DX crop, some Sigma lenses worked properly with that right off the bat and others could be sent back to Sigma for an upgrade.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Mon 31-Dec-12 08:08 AM
#30. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 27
Mon 31-Dec-12 08:11 AM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

Hi guys. The thread is becoming a bit disjointed in my opinion and I am getting confused. This is not unusual these days

The bottom line at present is that we have evidence that the Sigma 150mm, 120-300mm and the 300-800mm will work with the FT-1. I can confirm that the 50-500mm OS and the 105mm OS will not work. In fact connected to an FT-1 they make strange noises and nothing can be seen through the viewfinder apart from a warning on the viewfinder to connect a lens.

Sigma say

"Auto Focus of HSM Lens for some Nikon Cameras does not work".
The AF control system for some Nikon Cameras does not work with HSM lenses. Sigma's HSM lenses have full compatibility with F5, F4 series, F100, F90/N90, F90X/N90S, F80/N80 F70/N70, u/F65/N65,Pronea 600 and Pronea S. With other Nikon cameras, Sigma's HSM version lenses can be only used in manual focusing mode.

Techradar says: "Sigma: we'd like to make Nikon 1 lenses". see - http://www.techradar.com/news/photography-video-capture/cameras/sigma-wed-like-to-make-nikon-1-lenses-1069706 Sigma say they need the technology to do so.

So, this is where we are I think. Sigma UK is closed until Jan.3rd, but I think I shall write to them and ask the question. "Can Sigma, or some Sigma, lenses be used on a Nikon V1 with the FT-1 adapter. Their reply will be interesting.

Richard

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Mon 31-Dec-12 11:35 AM
#31. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 30
Mon 31-Dec-12 11:44 AM by walk43

Pennsylvania, US

Richard,

Thanks for staying with us Richard I personally am getting a lot out of this thread. I hope when you send the note to Sigma they simply do not respond "yes".

Jon.. In your earlier post you said that you were not sure that all Nikon AF-S lenses will work with the V1. But Nikon has released a list of all compatible Nikkor lenses and non-compatible Nikkor lenses and what that non-combatibility is. So, at least for now, I am assuming that all Nikkon AF-S lenses will work with the V1 and any others are suspect to verification. (Still waiting for a moderator to set up a list at the front of this thread of the lenses and their status of tested functionality.) But maybe not all AF-S are compatible even though Nikon says they are

Regarding Richards comment about the his lenses being of different ages. I offer the following story for perspective:

..."When I upgraded my iPhone to version 6.0 of the Apple OS, I found that I could no longer connect to my home router (my router is 6 years old). Reading through the Apple blogs, some folks said that I needed the newest version of router software which was version v.23. I was on V.19 so I upgraded to v.23...and it still did not work. After reading more on the blogs I found that v.21 would work. So I tried it and it did work on v.21...."

The point here is that we know that product compatibility with connecting devices is enabled through the software/firmware loaded on the products. I think that as manfacturers of devices, that connect to other devices, sometimes have products to market without thoroughly testing out all of the connectivity they have built in to prior versions...or just dropping older compatibility altogether. (As a computer programmer years and years ago I rememember vividly saying "but...I didn't change that code "

So... it seems to me that Sigma, Tokina and others may have a hard time keeping all their firmware capablity straight and consistant with all the cameras they want capability with, as they continue their production through the years and newer cameras come out.

I think it is highly probable that a 3rd party lens that has been in production for a number of years can have different firmware versions built into it...even though the lens does not change at all physically...and due to changes in the integration code, some lenses will have full capability and some will not.

I think Jon is correct that the best thing to do is test them out, MAKE THE LIST and confirm for ourselves ...along with serial numbers. That can be quite a task.

PS: I really hope that I am overstating the complexity here, but my experience with the router was real!

Dan

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Mon 31-Dec-12 11:47 AM
#32. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 31

Dyserth, GB

<<PS: I really hope that I am overstating the complexity here, but my experience with the router was real!>>

Or, a bit like upgrading the OS on the PC only to find certain software is no longer compatible. Tamron used to do "adaptall" lenses which could be converted from camera to camera.

Richard

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Mon 31-Dec-12 02:05 PM
#34. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 31

Wethersfield, US

>Jon.. In your earlier post you said that you were not sure
>that all Nikon AF-S lenses will work with the V1. But Nikon
>has released a list of all compatible Nikkor lenses and
>non-compatible Nikkor lenses and what that non-combatibility
>is.

I don't think I actually said anything about the compatibility of AF-S lenses other than that non-AF-S lenses wouldn't autofocus.

Since Nikon has released a list, I would take that as definitive. Lenses that are on that list should work to the extent Nikon says they will. I haven't seen a list of lenses that explicitly won't work, only a list of ones that will. And I think that list is restricted to lenses currently in production. The information Nikon has released about compatibility with various classes of lenses suggests that pretty much any Nikon AI, AF or AF-S lens made will at least mount, meter and shoot on the FT-1. If there are exceptions, I haven't run across them. AF and AI (of course) lenses will require manual focus. But it should be pointed out, I think, that the EVF of the V1 makes manual focus pretty easy if your subject isn't moving. Just zoom in the EVM and tweak the focus exactly. It's like live view on a DSLR except it's available in the viewfinder as well as on the back LCD screen.

>I think it is highly probable that a 3rd party lens that has
>been in production for a number of years can have different
>firmware versions built into it...even though the lens does
>not change at all physically...and due to changes in the
>integration code, some lenses will have full capability and
>some will not.

I agree. And a newer lens won't necessarily be more compatible than an older lens since changes that were made at some point may actually work against compatibility with newer Nikon products. So, while my older non-OS Sigma 120-300/2.8 works fine, it would be nice to hear from someone who has a newer, OS-equipped 120-300/2.8 to see if that is also compatible.

>I think Jon is correct that the best thing to do is test them
>out, MAKE THE LIST and confirm for ourselves ...along with
>serial numbers. That can be quite a task.

I'm not sure I would go as far as recording serial numbers. Even a lens of a given serial number might have had it's internals upgraded at some point. About all we can do is give an indication of whether a lens works; the final test will be to mount a particular lens onto your FT-1 and see what happens.

Which is not to say a list wouldn't be useful as long as we all realize it represents the best information we have, not gospel.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Mon 31-Dec-12 02:15 PM
#36. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 34

Dyserth, GB

Jon.

<<So, while my older non-OS Sigma 120-300/2.8 works fine, it would be nice to hear from someone who has a newer, OS-equipped 120-300/2.8 to see if that is also compatible.>>

I find it strange that a non OS 120-300mm works, but both my 50-500mm OS or 105mm OS don't. The only difference, apart from the chipping, is the OS. Perhaps it's the older Sigma lenses that work and not the newer ones. We've already heard that your 120-300mm, a 300-800mm and a 150mm will. What particularly interests me, as I've mentioned, is that when my two Sigma lenses are mounted on the FT-1 and I look through the viewfinder all I see is black apart from the flashing warning notice.

This seems to be a much bigger problem than the capability of auto focus

Richard

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Mon 31-Dec-12 03:20 PM
#42. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 34

Pennsylvania, US

Sorry Jon.....I actually meant that Dave said that. Too many folks to remember But thanks for the response!! And I agree with your points about the serial numbers. I am going to try to find the detailed list that Nikon put out about was lenses had what V1 capability and will post it later.

PS: For all on this thread, I really appreciate how this is moving along!!

Dan

dta116 Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Nov 2007Mon 31-Dec-12 02:00 PM
#33. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 24
Mon 31-Dec-12 02:33 PM by dta116

Midland, TX, US

I will complete my own list of all the lenses in my bag, which are numerous, and will post after completion.

Maybe by then the moderator will have decided on a sticky for this thread.

All we really need is the list of lenses, not necessarily the whole thread, that would be a bit confusing.

Maybe a list of:

1. Third Party Lenses That Will Autofocus with the FT1

2. Third Party Lenses That Will Not Autofocus with the FT1

3. Third Party Lenses That Will Not Work At All (Damage may occur)

I am not really sure about the Nikon compatibility list, I believe it shows lenses that will fit and meter, then as a bonus it may autofocus.

Why are the PC-E lenses listed? If Tilt or Shift is used the finder won't even work. Other manual focus lenses are not even listed.

I will try some non-chipped lenses tonite and see whats up with that.

Dave Taylor

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Mon 31-Dec-12 02:09 PM
#35. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 33

Wethersfield, US

Right you are, Dave. I'm going to start a new thread for us to put ONLY the results of our testing.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Mon 31-Dec-12 02:19 PM
#37. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 35

Dyserth, GB

Nice one, that's a really good idea. I agree it perhaps best to make it plain it is a database not a discussion thread so as not to mix the two up as someone else has said.

Richard

dta116 Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Nov 2007Mon 31-Dec-12 02:34 PM
#38. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 35

Midland, TX, US

Sorry Jon, I was updaing my Post when you posted....

Dave Taylor

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Mon 31-Dec-12 02:51 PM
#39. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 38

Dyserth, GB

Update: I said "that when my two Sigma lenses are mounted on the FT-1 and I look through the viewfinder all I see is black apart from the flashing warning notice".

This is not true, the warning notice is blocking the viewfinder and as it was very low light I could not see any subject area around the warning notice. I have now lifted it to a light source and it is visible. Not much use though! I have also changed the V1 to manual and it's no different and the steady click, click persists!

Richard

dta116 Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Nov 2007Mon 31-Dec-12 03:11 PM
#40. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 39

Midland, TX, US

Richard, this may be a good time to mark those lenses as "Do Not Mount on FT1".

You never know when the clicking will cease.. forever.....

Dave Taylor

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Mon 31-Dec-12 03:24 PM
#43. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 39

Pennsylvania, US

Richard,

When I got my D800 and put my Tamron SP90 onto it I had the same clicking noises but only in Live View if I remember. I sold the SP90... for fear of damaging my then brand new D800...and got the Nikon 105VR...which I really wanted an excuse to buy anyway!

Dan

dta116 Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Nov 2007Mon 31-Dec-12 03:19 PM
#41. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 33

Midland, TX, US

I have just tried some of the older manual Nikkors from the 60's and they will work beautifully. Meaning they will meter with manual exposure and manual focus, but exactly as designed.

Unfortunately, my beautiful Tokina AT-X DX Pro lenses will not autofocus.

Mostly anything with an aperture ring does not seem to autofocus.

Dave Taylor

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Mon 31-Dec-12 03:33 PM
#44. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 0

Pennsylvania, US

Here is where I read the list of FT-1 compatibility from Nikon. Maybe this is the same list that others are reading but I wanted to make sure everyone has the same list. Choose the "Compatible Lens List" and toward the bottom of the page are the check-offs.

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/acil/lenses/mount_adapter_ft1/

Dan

SRFast Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Dec 2004Mon 31-Dec-12 09:07 PM
1458 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#45. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 44

New York City, US

The 70-200mm VRI isn't on the list. Has anyone tried this lens with the FT-1 adapter?

TIA & Happy New Year....JL

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Mon 31-Dec-12 09:27 PM
#46. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 45

Pennsylvania, US

Yes I have and actually still have it on the camera. It works fine and gets good results. So far my favorite lens on the V1!!

Dan

dta116 Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Nov 2007Mon 31-Dec-12 09:35 PM
#47. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 45

Midland, TX, US

I believe the Compatability list is only for the newest Nikkor lenses currently being sold.

Dave Taylor

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Mon 31-Dec-12 10:04 PM
#48. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 47
Mon 31-Dec-12 10:05 PM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

Yes, I've used the 70-200mm f2.8 MkI. It works fine although the VR is extremely noisy on my copy.

Richard.

PS. A very happy and healthy 2013 to everyone. Lets hope it brings all Sigma lenses to the V1, a semi pro DX replacement for the D300s and a V2 body at under $50

SRFast Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Dec 2004Tue 01-Jan-13 01:55 AM
1458 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#49. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 48

New York City, US

Thanks for your responses. It is reassuring that you've all had positive experiences with the FT-1 & 70-200 VRI combo.

Regards....JL

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Thu 10-Jan-13 09:30 AM
#50. "RE: Lenses that autofocus with FT-1?"
In response to Reply # 49
Thu 10-Jan-13 09:39 AM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

I will post this on the Sigma lens compatibility thread if I could find it! But for now I have received this e-mail from Sigma EU relating to the working of a 105mm OS macro and the 50-500mm OS lens and the FT-1 compatibility.

My question to them:

"I wonder if you could help me please. I have numerous Nikon and two Sigma lenses. I am considering buying a Nikon V1 or V2 with the FT-1 converter, but will my 50-500mm OS or 105mm OS macro work please? I have seen reports where people owning the Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 non OS are using their V1 very successfully with this lens".

Their reply today.

"It seems that both your lenses require a firmware update. It is available for the 50-500 OS but Japan are still working on the update for the 105 OS is still under development will probably take 2-3 weeks".

So, in short mine two lenses won't work and I'm not bothering to get the firmware updated.

Richard

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2414 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.