Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2392
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon 1 V2, ISO 160 as basic ISO, why?" Previous topic | Next topic
meper Registered since 08th Dec 2012Wed 26-Dec-12 05:52 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon 1 V2, ISO 160 as basic ISO, why?"

DK

One thing I don't understand is that ISO 160 was chosen as the basic ISO of the 1 V2. The sample images I have seen has quite a lot noise (especially color noise) in the dark areas / shadows. Also the OOF background looks a bit noisy. It must have been possible to have a cleaner image if e.g. ISO 50 or 80 was chosen as the basic ISO. The P7700 with its much smaller sensor do it better at ISO 80 than the 1 V2 does at its basic ISO = 160 so I can't understand this design decision from Nikon.

Can you?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Wed 02-Jan-13 01:12 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon 1 V2, ISO 160 as basic ISO, why?"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

Most likely Nikon thought that base 160 would give the best signal/noise performance. But it almost doesn't matter because most sensors, like films, can vary a little on what actually happens versus the specs. What you're mostly seeing in shadows and such is the lack of dynamic range in the smaller sensor.

In any case, base ISO is based upon the abilities of the sensor and what its designed for.

meper Registered since 08th Dec 2012Wed 02-Jan-13 08:25 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon 1 V2, ISO 160 as basic ISO, why?"
In response to Reply # 1

DK

OK!

I was just a bit disappointed by this ISO 160 test image here with the books:

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/nikon_1_v2_review/sample_images/

...some color noise in the dark areas. I had expected a cleaner image.

The same image taken with P7700 on ISO 80 looks cleaner to my eye (it probably helps a bit that it is exposed darker).

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/nikon_coolpix_p7700_review/sample_images/

......but the noise you see is more mono-chromatic.....which I like...

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Thu 03-Jan-13 12:11 AM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon 1 V2, ISO 160 as basic ISO, why?"
In response to Reply # 2

Knoxville, US

It's usually a tradeoff. What I sometimes do is (using Lightroom) find a noise reduction scheme I like and add it to the presets so when I import raw images from the camera it can apply the noise reduction like I want. Saves a few steps and gives nice results.

Something to think about...

meper Registered since 08th Dec 2012Thu 03-Jan-13 08:24 PM
#4. "RE: Nikon 1 V2, ISO 160 as basic ISO, why?"
In response to Reply # 3

DK

I went for a D5200. Price is about the same and image quality much better. The size is not far away from the 1 V2 (you need a bag anyway). 1 V2 is not a pocket camera. The 1 V2 is: 11x8x5 and D5200 is: 13x10x8. Then of course SLR lenses are bigger buy they are also used on the 1 via the adapter. Crop factor 2.7 against 1.5 ...but if you crop from the 24MP you easy get a factor 2 or more ...so this was my reason to select the D5200 over the 1 V2. I don't need the special feature of the 1 V2 (60 frames pr. sec, high speed video etc....I need the swing out monitor more). Maybe the 1 V3....we will see.....

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2392 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.