Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2382
View in linear mode

Subject: "Help me with the V1" Previous topic | Next topic
Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Wed 26-Dec-12 02:34 AM
2046 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Help me with the V1"

Norcross, US

I bought the V1. I'm struggling with it. At first glance it seems like the perfect small camera to pull out and take snap shot pictures in a typical low light party situation. Then you take some shots with it and I wonder whether I should be looking at one of the entry level DSLRs. They are not much larger than the V1, neither is really a pocket camera, and wonder if I made the wrong choice.

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics.Com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Help me with the V1
richardd300 Silver Member
26th Dec 2012
nwcs Silver Member
26th Dec 2012
Swetz Silver Member
26th Dec 2012
Bob Chadwick Silver Member
26th Dec 2012
26th Dec 2012
26th Dec 2012
26th Dec 2012
tgreenwald Silver Member
27th Dec 2012
27th Dec 2012
                    Reply message Delete Duplicate Please.
27th Dec 2012
RRRoger Silver Member
27th Dec 2012
27th Dec 2012
walk43 Gold Member
29th Dec 2012
29th Dec 2012
walk43 Gold Member
29th Dec 2012
jbloom Gold Member
29th Dec 2012
walk43 Gold Member
29th Dec 2012
jbloom Gold Member
29th Dec 2012
29th Dec 2012
RRRoger Silver Member
29th Dec 2012
29th Dec 2012
walk43 Gold Member
29th Dec 2012

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Wed 26-Dec-12 06:17 AM
3405 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Help me with the V1"
In response to Reply # 0

Dyserth, GB

Bob.

I am wondering why you are struggling with it! Is size the real issue, or is it a technical issue?

I didn't struggle with my V1 although there is a learning curve when comparing the V1 to a dSLR. If you are referring to low light difficulties then the optional flash will help, although I will admit it's not exactly a reasonably priced accessory.

If you can give more information regarding your issues I am sure folks here will help in giving good advice.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Wed 26-Dec-12 12:17 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Help me with the V1"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

I know where you're coming from. I had similar thoughts both before and a little after I got my V1. What turned the corner for me are the lenses. They are just so much easier to deal with on trips than regular lenses. If Nikon was smart they would really promote the size and weight of CX lenses. I wouldn't use a DX sized sensor mirrorlesss because the lenses wouldn't give me benefit.

The image quality of the Nikon 1 won't blow you away but it's the perfect inconspicuous camera with interchangeable lenses.

Swetz Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Feb 2006Wed 26-Dec-12 02:08 PM
170 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Help me with the V1"
In response to Reply # 0

Cambridge, US

What sold me on the system is the size. The camera is smaller than a DX body and the lenses are significantly smaller. I travel for work and I can put the V1 with a 10-30mm in my carryon bag along with the flash and a 30-100mm lens. This package is still smaller then a DX body with an 18-200 lens. Also because the camera is so small aluminum tent pole tripod. Theses tripods are a bit shaky for a DX sensor camera

Steve
http://www.stevewetzel.com

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Wed 26-Dec-12 02:39 PM
2046 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Help me with the V1"
In response to Reply # 3
Wed 26-Dec-12 03:05 PM by Bob Chadwick

Norcross, US

Richard,

It's definitely technical issues. I wanted something to carry around with me and it definitely meets that criteria. The main thing I wanted to be able to do is to take pictures of people at parties, get togethers, etc. and get better quality pictures than my wife was getting with her phone and entry level Coolpix.

The first issue was that it wouldn't focus at all in very low light situations even with the focus assistance on. Then I just wasn't very impressed with the quality of the pictures. Even with the flash there are a lot of blurry images. It's probably a learning curve issue as well as having too high of expectations.

I've been using it with an Eye-Fi card and it is the hit of the party with the pictures showing up almost instantaneously on the Ipad.

Bob

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics.Com

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Wed 26-Dec-12 02:42 PM
#5. "RE: Help me with the V1"
In response to Reply # 4
Wed 26-Dec-12 02:50 PM by Bob Chadwick

Norcross, US

Neil and Steve,

Thanks for the feedback. The size is definitely a strong selling point for the camera. I took it to a party, along with the flash, in my jacket pocket. Couldn't have done that with the D800 and SB900.

Bob

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics.Com

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Wed 26-Dec-12 04:37 PM
3405 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Help me with the V1"
In response to Reply # 4

Dyserth, GB

I have just been to a family party and sorry can't post any images as I'm away from home. I set my V1 to ISO200 aperture priority 1/60 @ f3.5 on my 10-30 mm lens and flash to get get great results. However, I did not get satisfactory results until I bought the flash.

It will take images at the auto 100-800 without a flash indoors, but still looses some clarity.

It's a learning curve just like any other new to you camera.

Richard

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Wed 26-Dec-12 05:01 PM
#7. "RE: Help me with the V1"
In response to Reply # 6

Norcross, US

Thanks for the tip Richard.

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics.Com

tgreenwald Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2005Thu 27-Dec-12 02:17 AM
1470 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#8. "RE: Help me with the V1"
In response to Reply # 7

High Springs , FL, US

Even with the flash there are a lot of blurry images.

I would try Shutter priority and keep the speed up. Let the ISO go as high as you can if you don't have a flash.

I'm starting to get very good photos in very low light but I am using the 18.5mm f1.8 lens. It's a great little lens.

www.teddgreenwald.com

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Thu 27-Dec-12 06:01 AM
"RE: Help me with the V1"

Norcross, US

Thanks for the advice. I have the flash, I'm just going to have to figure out how to best use it.

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics.Com

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Thu 27-Dec-12 06:01 AM
#9. "Delete Duplicate Please."
In response to Reply # 8
Thu 27-Dec-12 04:39 PM by Bob Chadwick

Norcross, US

Thanks for the advice. I have the flash, I'm just going to have to figure out how to best use it.

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics.Com

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberThu 27-Dec-12 04:16 PM
3170 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Help me with the V1"
In response to Reply # 9
Thu 27-Dec-12 04:31 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

Coming from a D7000 and D800 my hand holding technique had to be improved a lot over earlier cameras.
I tried a lot of mirrorless cameras (including the NEX) before deciding on the Nikon 1.
The very fast, solid feeling little V1 is the only one I could hold steady enough not to get mostly blurrs.
I prefer the new 18.5 lens at f/1.8 to flash for low light.
It is especially good for Video.
This Christmas, I took few stills but instead put the V1 on a TriPod and took "Home Movies" instead

As for highest quality stills, that is what I have the D800 for.
For most video, hiking, travel, or low light party shots the V1 is better,
especially if "capturing the moment" is your priority.

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Thu 27-Dec-12 10:14 PM
#11. "RE: Help me with the V1"
In response to Reply # 10
Thu 27-Dec-12 10:25 PM by Bob Chadwick

Norcross, US

That's exactly what I'm looking for Roger. I played with it some more today and got some better results. Probably the most important thing I did was limit the ISO to 800. Otherwise the camera seems to want to go to 3200 ISO. I also put the camera in aperture mode and opened the lens as wide as it would as it also seems to want want to stop down a stop or two. With the flash on it I was able to get some much sharper shots. The detail on the individual hairs is much crisper before I downsized it for uploading.

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics.Com

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Sat 29-Dec-12 11:33 AM
706 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Help me with the V1"
In response to Reply # 10
Sat 29-Dec-12 12:00 PM by walk43

Pennsylvania, US

>As for highest quality stills, that is what I have the D800 for.

Roger,

I am with you 100% on this comment. If I net it all down, the reason I got the V1 was for its crop factor, as a total $450 2.7X teleconvertor (with the FT1 adapter) capability with my good lenses. I have not been satisfied with any of the pics I have taken with the V1 (except the long mm shots !!!)...more on this below).

When I take a picture I want it to be as good as I can make it! Too many times I have taken a camera to an event thinking that "this little camera will be perfect for this event..small, light, etc. etc". Then I get some shots that really would have been great (expressions, lighting, etc.)if I could have had my better camera...unfortuantely I don't know when I will get those shots...so why carry around a camera that only produces average images...compared to my D800? I am just too particular I guess but I want my shots to always have the best opportunity to make great pictures.

All that said....I have found that with the V1 and my 70-200VR or even my 28-300VR I can get better images at long focal lengths (500-800mm) on a monopod than I can with my D800 cropped to the same FOV. So being true to my thoughts here...I take the V1 with me when I want to go long or tight.... and my D800 for all other shots. That way I always have the best option to get the best images.

It just doesn't seem to make sense to me to take a pic that won't be as good as it could have been. When I find I have to 'capture a moment' I use my iPhone.

There is one situation however when I break this rule. When I am fishing on a boat or in a stream...or I am in an amusement park for example, I use my Lumix DMC-ZS5, 12MP compact with the 12X optical Leica lens (25-300mm), VR, 1600 ISO, video, and 1.18" min focus. It gives me excellent macro, 25mm wide angle and 300mm tele capabilities for 5x7 prints, is the size of a pack of cigarettes, has a nice flash, costs under $300 and has given me some pics better than my D800 believe it or not (probably technique but they were better). And it is all-in-one camera...the V1 has 2 lenses to do that ...or the 10-100 that definitely not pocketable!! PS: I highly recommend this little camera for a trip when you don't want to take a camera.

Dan
(Nikon D800, V2 & Sony HX400V SuperZoom)
"My most rewarding photos are those that capture something I didn't 'see' in the viewfinder....so just SHOOT."

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sat 29-Dec-12 12:36 PM
#13. "RE: Help me with the V1"
In response to Reply # 12
Sat 29-Dec-12 12:38 PM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

Hi Dan and seasonal greetings to you.

<<I have not been satisfied with any of the pics I have taken with the V1 (except the long mm shots !!!)...more on this below).>>

I can't completely share your thoughts there, albeit I do fully understand where you are coming from. The V1 and I suspect the V2 is what it is and although there has been much hype about it's capabilities using the FT-1 the jury is still out for me on that one. As you know we have both done considerable testing with both the V1 + FT-1 and the D800, but I am still finding the results inconclusive.

My main concern is the use of a V1 in poor light conditions and long lenses, hence higher ISO's = noise and in addition even with lens VR ON, it's asking an awful lot of the V1 handheld. I am sure you have seen my comparison of the two Egrets, one with a D800 + 300mm f4 and one with a V1 and the 30-110mm lens. Little difference between the two was observed by commentators on the forum. However, conditions were perfect and the distance short. The same taken over twice the distance and in dull light I feel would have been very different.

Attached are 3 images, I only post them to demonstrate 3 different conditions, good light and with flash. It is an interesting debate and I for one would really like the V1 to meet the D800 in flexibility, ISO performance, but that's asking a lot. That said, I do accept that over very long distances the V1 does a credible job where others my not have achieved the shot and that others requirements for a certain camera to do a certain thing is very important. Apologies for the picture of my son who is always game for a laugh

Richard

V1 30-110mm 1/500 @ 7.1 ISO 200 - Flash off - Hand held

V1 10-30mm 1/30 @ f6.3 ISO 200 - Flash off - Hand held

V1 10-30mm 1/60 @ f7.1 ISO 200 - Flash on - Hand held

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Sat 29-Dec-12 01:10 PM
706 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Help me with the V1"
In response to Reply # 13

Pennsylvania, US

Hello Richard and Seasons Greetings to you also!!

I love your pictures! I don't want to give the V1 a bum wrap. Your shots prove that it is a very capable camera. My point is that I always try to keep my life as simple as possible and have a hard time making decisions about what camera to take where.

If I have to take a camera bag, I take my Lowepro Magmum 200 AW...it's relatively small but holds a LOT of my gear. I have the D800, V1, 70-200, 28-300, 105, 50 1.8, 18-35, Sb-600, Lumix, batteries, wireless triggers, etc., etc. in 1 easy to carry bag. If I have to pull out a camera I pull out my D800. If I want to get long or tight I use the V1/FT1 as my teleconvertor. I will always choose my D800 for any event where I and my camera are safe. Just my way of trying to get the best pics...V1 capability, although very good, is not as good of an option for me...I may see a 'bug' or a 'landscape', need to crop tight, need better DR, higher shutters, higher ISO, etc., etc.

My wife tells me that I never like to be 'wrong'. So to not have the best camera at my disposal when I want to shoot would drive me nuts. And if I take them both...I use the D800. If I don't want to take my camera bag, I take my Lumix in my pocket. Several of my close up shots in my gallery were taken with my Lumix and I was glad I had it!!

Dan
"My most rewarding photos are those that capture something I didn't 'see' in the viewfinder....so just SHOOT."

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sat 29-Dec-12 01:42 PM
6520 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Help me with the V1"
In response to Reply # 14

Wethersfield, US

Dan, it seems that for you, the V1 is a solution in search of a problem since you have things pretty well covered without it.

As a self-contained camera system (that is, without considering the FT-1), for me the V1 provides new flexibility. The reality is that I'm not going to bring my camera bag every time I get in the car and go somewhere to run an errand. Sometimes that means that I see a shot but don't have a camera handy. (Other than my iPhone, which has a nice camera for a phone but is pretty limited.)

The V1 solves this problem for me nicely because I can just leave it in my car in a small camera bag I bought for it. Now, I always have a decent camera with me in the car, one small enough to grab and go when I get wherever I'm going. Of course, I could have used something like the Lumix you have, but I believe the V1 is a step up from that. Plus, of course, when I do bring the big bag, with the FT-1 in it, the V1 is already in the car, ready for some long shots.

Which only shows that different solutions fit different needs.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Sat 29-Dec-12 05:12 PM
#20. "RE: Help me with the V1"
In response to Reply # 17

Pennsylvania, US

Jon,

Well for me the problem was already there and the solution was the V1. Otherwise I would have had to (wanted to) buy bigger glass, and as an amateur I couldn't justify spending a lot of money. The V1 is the solution to my long tele problem. I may also keep the V1 kit in my car like others do, just in case. Hopefully I will have more time to get used to it when the blizzards stop here in PA. As others have said...it's just another camera to get used to and I can see that many here find it useful as a primary or a back-up depending on their situation.

Enjoy

Dan

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sat 29-Dec-12 01:23 PM
6520 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Help me with the V1"
In response to Reply # 13

Wethersfield, US

Nice feather detail in that third shot, Richard.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sat 29-Dec-12 01:36 PM
#16. "RE: Help me with the V1"
In response to Reply # 15
Sat 29-Dec-12 01:37 PM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

Thanks Jon. One of my very first shots with the V1.

Dan.

<<it's relatively small but holds a LOT of my gear. I have the D800, V1, 70-200, 28-300, 105, 50 1.8, 18-35, Sb-600, Lumix, batteries, wireless triggers, etc., etc.>>

I feel your (back) pain! I often use a Tamrac Expedition 9x and that by itself is a brute of a bag, then much like you, I take assorted pro lenses, but also 2 bodies, a CF tripod + ball head to polish it off. There are those in the Special Forces who would feel the weight! I also know exactly what you mean about "getting the best shot" and becoming very frustrated when it fails because the kit in your hands was wrong for that moment.

Incidentally, the postman brought me my new macro lens today and 2013 will be as much about learning that art as the last two years was wildlife. I set myself a challenge every year, 2011/12 was the year of the "far away", 2013 is to be the year of the "very close"

Richard

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 29-Dec-12 03:43 PM
3170 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Help me with the V1"
In response to Reply # 16

Monterey Bay, US

Richard,
Does your bag have wheels? seems like a lot of gear to carry to me.
When hiking I either take the V1 with 10-30 CX in my pocket or
D800 with 28-300 on my neck. The bag etc. stay in the car.

Looking at your gear above, I do not to see anything wide.
When I got my first FullFrame DSLR, I thought I would be buying longer lens
and was surprised at falling in love with wide instead.
I use the 14-24 a lot for landscape.

Perhaps that will be your 2014 priority?
Looks like you have gradually gone from large animals to small bugs.

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sat 29-Dec-12 04:03 PM
#19. "RE: Help me with the V1"
In response to Reply # 18

Dyserth, GB

Seems like you could be right Roger. I do have wide lenses with the 24-70mm f2.8 and 16-35mm f4 which go along with my 70-200mm f2.8 are my principal Landscape lenses. Put those with a D800 and D7000 body + tripod and head and it all adds up.

When out doing Wildlife I use my 300mm f4 and Sigma 50-500mm OS, so once again heavy kit with both dSLR's.

The V1 always comes with me now as it's so versatile and is always in my car. As I am getting older and feeling the aches and pains on a long day it'll eventually have to be slimmed down, but that's for the future. Sadly, age comes not alone

Richard

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Sat 29-Dec-12 05:16 PM
#21. "RE: Help me with the V1"
In response to Reply # 16

Pennsylvania, US

Enjoy your macro Richard. The nice this about closeup/macro work is that you have lots of subjects right there in your backyard and you can always use flash on cloudy days. I find that my R1 system works really well for light when doing macro.

Dan

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2382 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.