nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Am I expecting too much from the V1?

SirPuttsAlot

Poughquag, US
335 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
SirPuttsAlot Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Sep 2011
Mon 24-Dec-12 12:34 PM

I purchased a V1 due to the recent major discounts and for it's ease of use so that my wife can grab some nice photo's and video without using my D800. I also grabbed the SB-N5 flash b/c the 10-30mm is way too slow to take photo's indoors.

First, I love the form factor, size, weight, etc, it's basically perfect for when I don't want to bring the big boy along. What I have found is the video quality was OK and due to the smaller sensor, it does a much better job with autofocusing than my D800 does. Due to the larger sensor, it's low light performance was better than my old Canon VIXIA camcorder and has considerably more detail when filmed in just ambient lighting from the house. But it wasn't as smooth at 30p with motion.

Where I was really disappointed was in the picture quality of stills. They were sharp, etc, but it's ability with the skin tones seems rather poor leaving faces looking a bit washed out (Bouncing flash). Even going nuts in post with CNX2 I just couldn't get the pics to my liking.

I was looking at the Sony RX-100, but I didn't want to spend the extra $200 and be crippled with AVCHD for Video (I use a iMac), but I'm rethinking my decision here. Maybe I have just become so accustomed to the quality of a DSLR that nothing is going to live up to my expectations.

I would post some pics but I just noticed that my account was downgraded free (oops, forgot to pay the bill). Any thoughts or words of encouragement with the V1 before I box it up and send it back?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Am I expecting too much from the V1?

G