nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2368
View in linear mode

Subject: "Am I expecting too much from the V1?" Previous topic | Next topic
SirPuttsAlot   Poughquag, US  Registered since 26th Sep 2011 Mon 24-Dec-12 12:34 PM
333 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Am I expecting too much from the V1?"

I purchased a V1 due to the recent major discounts and for it's ease of use so that my wife can grab some nice photo's and video without using my D800. I also grabbed the SB-N5 flash b/c the 10-30mm is way too slow to take photo's indoors.

First, I love the form factor, size, weight, etc, it's basically perfect for when I don't want to bring the big boy along. What I have found is the video quality was OK and due to the smaller sensor, it does a much better job with autofocusing than my D800 does. Due to the larger sensor, it's low light performance was better than my old Canon VIXIA camcorder and has considerably more detail when filmed in just ambient lighting from the house. But it wasn't as smooth at 30p with motion.

Where I was really disappointed was in the picture quality of stills. They were sharp, etc, but it's ability with the skin tones seems rather poor leaving faces looking a bit washed out (Bouncing flash). Even going nuts in post with CNX2 I just couldn't get the pics to my liking.

I was looking at the Sony RX-100, but I didn't want to spend the extra $200 and be crippled with AVCHD for Video (I use a iMac), but I'm rethinking my decision here. Maybe I have just become so accustomed to the quality of a DSLR that nothing is going to live up to my expectations.

I would post some pics but I just noticed that my account was downgraded free (oops, forgot to pay the bill). Any thoughts or words of encouragement with the V1 before I box it up and send it back?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Am I expecting too much from the V1? walk43 Gold Member
24th Dec 2012
Reply message RE: Am I expecting too much from the V1? SirPuttsAlot
24th Dec 2012
Reply message RE: Am I expecting too much from the V1? walk43 Gold Member
24th Dec 2012
Reply message RE: Am I expecting too much from the V1? tgreenwald Silver Member
24th Dec 2012
Reply message RE: Am I expecting too much from the V1? DavidHarsay
24th Dec 2012
Reply message RE: Am I expecting too much from the V1? david_mathre Platinum Member
24th Dec 2012

walk43 Gold Member  Pennsylvania, US  Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012 Mon 24-Dec-12 03:08 PM
711 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Am I expecting too much from the V1?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 24-Dec-12 03:16 PM by walk43

Hello Ray and Happy Holdays!!

Your posting title is a great question and may be the key to your answer. I think those who considered buying the V1 did so for 2 reasons.

The first reason, especially for many Nikonians, is the 2.7 crop factor with the FT1 adapter. It gives us great reach when we mount our best glass on it. Your 70-200 is highly valued by many, including me, as their favorite lens on the V1. The V1 for me and many, is a great alternative to get 300-800mm on our existing glass with good quality. And with a TC17 and the 300 f/4 I get to 1300+mm.

The second reason is as a handy low cost alternative to our D800. But in my opinion it is NOT the replacement for the D800! As one Nikonian put it to me...the difference is like cut glass compared to diamonds.

For the '2.7 teleconvertor' capability I think it is terrific and will get me great shots (but not excellent) at 300-1300+mm that I could not have accompliashed with my D800 even with cropping unless I spent many, many bucks for some really heavy glass. I am an amateur and can't justify the cost to put that glass on my D800. But I can put my 70-200VR or my 300 F/4 on the V1 and they give me results that I am satisfied with....for me. I also use my 28-300VR (80-800mm) as a walkaround and do handheld or monopod shots.

If I want to take one camera with me fishing or on a vacation trip when I may want long zoom and be 'pocketable' (like shirt pocket), I will use my Lumix with the 16X lens. It even does very good macro. But for long shots in the field my V1 and FT1 will be in my vest!!

Dan
(Nikon D800,V2,Sony HX400V,Lumix ZS40)
"I don't read, I just look at pictures" - Andy Warhol

SirPuttsAlot   Poughquag, US  Registered since 26th Sep 2011 Mon 24-Dec-12 04:04 PM
333 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Am I expecting too much from the V1?"
In response to Reply # 1
Mon 24-Dec-12 04:55 PM by SirPuttsAlot

Hi Dan,
Thank you very much for the feedback. Agreed that the V1 is definitely not a replacement for the D800, I definitely didn't have that expectation. I guess I just expected better colors/skin tones from the V1 for snap shots of the family.

*** Deleted b/c it was totally wrong ***

walk43 Gold Member  Pennsylvania, US  Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012 Mon 24-Dec-12 05:14 PM
711 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Am I expecting too much from the V1?"
In response to Reply # 2
Mon 24-Dec-12 05:23 PM by walk43

Ray,

I am not a tech guy and rely on the folks in the Forum for their tech savy. And... I am not certain yet whether the D800 cropped is worse or better than the V1 with crop factor. So far it seems to be but I can't prove it. But I do hope to find out ... and I know that others are testing it out as well. The pixel density of the V1 is about twice that of the D800 so I can crop the V1 just not as deep as the D800 and I now that the pixel sizes may also cause other issues like DR etc. There are always trade-offs.

Here is an article that you may want to read if you have not already.

http://www.naturalart.ca/artist/fieldtests/fieldtest_NikonV1.html

Dan
(Nikon D800,V2,Sony HX400V,Lumix ZS40)
"I don't read, I just look at pictures" - Andy Warhol

tgreenwald Silver Member  High Springs , FL, US  Nikonian since 12th Dec 2005 Mon 24-Dec-12 06:01 PM
1473 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Am I expecting too much from the V1?"
In response to Reply # 1

I tested the V1 vs the D300 and I have to think that at 8x10" that the V1 is on par with my D300. But as they say YMMV-your mileage will vary.

I'm shooting in excellent light outdoors in Florida so that may have something to do. PM me and I will share some family shots with you. Hesitant to post them here.

I will post one for skin tones I just shot.

I did a Green and Red Macaw yesterday that I posted to Wildlife and will do it again here. Skin tones for me are good-I shoot RAW then open the JPEGS in Aperture 3.
www.teddgreenwald.com

To have this much camera in a such a light small system is great. With my arthritis it's enough to just carry myself on 7 mile hikes.

IS it an SLR, heck no. Does it take good photos, for me a big YES

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

DavidHarsay   Fort Myers, US  Registered since 10th Sep 2012 Mon 24-Dec-12 06:38 PM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Am I expecting too much from the V1?"
In response to Reply # 0

My thoughts are that the tones are fine with the V1, I think the limitation is with the lighting conditions and the tiny flash. Just like if you used the on-camera flash for the D800.

How to fix it? Not sure, perhaps try Neutral setting in Picture Controls, Auto WB, RAW, 100-200 ISO, and for the flash, a gel to match the natural lighting, and bounce flash if appropriate.

david_mathre Platinum Member  Skillman, US  Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2006 Mon 24-Dec-12 10:00 PM
530 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Am I expecting too much from the V1?"
In response to Reply # 0

I haven't had any problems with skin tones with the N1V1. I mainly process images with Capture One Pro (which does a better job with skin colors) or LightRoom/Adobe Raw. Neither of these RAW processors use the Nikon Picture contols. For indoors/lower light the 10 mm f/2.8 or 18.5 mm f/1.8 lens are good additions.

DJM

"Images of the Day" PhotoBlog
My Nikonians Gallery
ShepArtPhotography Gallery

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2368 Previous topic | Next topic