nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
hertsjoatmon

UK
7 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
hertsjoatmon Registered since 20th Dec 2012
Fri 21-Dec-12 09:33 AM

Just got my V1 last night and am experimenting with the menu system and settings. I'm going to list the settings I currently have and was hoping people would chime in on tips they have learned and what modes they use. For example on the NEX the low light focus is actually better with out the focus light assist which is odd. Wondered if there was anything similar random tips on the Nikon 1 series.

I tend to shoot either A or S mode and RAW depending on my subject and use exposure compesation for more difficult lighting rather than manual mode. I change metering modes and ISO sensitivity and AF mode to suit subject as well but will most likely use single point with face priority most of the time unless shooting action for which ill switch to subject tracking (not tested this yet though). I leave the grid on and the welcome screen off.

I leave all sounds off. I figure all sounds use battery and even if I only get one additional shot from having them off then its worth it for something that isnt important.

I've left the auto focus assist on for now as it seems to be helping.

Electronic Shutter - not established the differences/ benefits of the different modes yet.

I've switched off active D lighting as my experience with other cameras is that it only effects JPEG images. So what I see on the screen may not reflect the RAW file i get from the camera.

I've also let the noise reduction settings off as again, I tend to shoot RAW.

I've left vibration reduction to Normal. I dont intend on using this camera with a tripod as i got it for its reduced size. Carrying a tripod with it seems counter intuitive. I dont shoot video either so any large movements I make will be for recomposing (due to using single point focus). Any benefit of one mode over the other in practice?

I use auto white balance, but used the tips from another thread and adjusted it slightly to B1 - M1 to counter the slight green colour cast.

I set the Shutter button AE lock to off as I read that it vastly increased the cameras speed to adjust to different exposures. And will just use the AEL AFL button to lock exposure and focus for when im recomposing.

Let me know if there are any tips that I've missed, but I think im almost ready to go out and get shooting.

Thanks

Ben Williams - UK
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hertsjoatmon/
NEX 5N / E 18-55. E 16. UWA. Fisheye. Sigma 19. / Minolta MC 50 1.4. Tamron 90 2.5 Macro. Vivitar 100 3.5 Macro / Raynox DCR-250.
Nikon V1 / N1 10-30. N1 30-110.
Sony TX10.
Selling: Tamron 18-200 NEX, SLR Magic 35mm NEX, Minolta Rokkor 50mm 1.4.
Shopping list: NEX6 + 16-50 (replace 5N + 18-55) (under £650). SEL3518 (under £300). Legacy 135mm 2.8 lens
Wish list (out of budget): Zeiss 24 1.8. Sony A99.

G