Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2352
View in linear mode

Subject: "Camera Settings" Previous topic | Next topic
hertsjoatmon Registered since 20th Dec 2012Fri 21-Dec-12 10:33 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Camera Settings"

UK

Just got my V1 last night and am experimenting with the menu system and settings. I'm going to list the settings I currently have and was hoping people would chime in on tips they have learned and what modes they use. For example on the NEX the low light focus is actually better with out the focus light assist which is odd. Wondered if there was anything similar random tips on the Nikon 1 series.

I tend to shoot either A or S mode and RAW depending on my subject and use exposure compesation for more difficult lighting rather than manual mode. I change metering modes and ISO sensitivity and AF mode to suit subject as well but will most likely use single point with face priority most of the time unless shooting action for which ill switch to subject tracking (not tested this yet though). I leave the grid on and the welcome screen off.

I leave all sounds off. I figure all sounds use battery and even if I only get one additional shot from having them off then its worth it for something that isnt important.

I've left the auto focus assist on for now as it seems to be helping.

Electronic Shutter - not established the differences/ benefits of the different modes yet.

I've switched off active D lighting as my experience with other cameras is that it only effects JPEG images. So what I see on the screen may not reflect the RAW file i get from the camera.

I've also let the noise reduction settings off as again, I tend to shoot RAW.

I've left vibration reduction to Normal. I dont intend on using this camera with a tripod as i got it for its reduced size. Carrying a tripod with it seems counter intuitive. I dont shoot video either so any large movements I make will be for recomposing (due to using single point focus). Any benefit of one mode over the other in practice?

I use auto white balance, but used the tips from another thread and adjusted it slightly to B1 - M1 to counter the slight green colour cast.

I set the Shutter button AE lock to off as I read that it vastly increased the cameras speed to adjust to different exposures. And will just use the AEL AFL button to lock exposure and focus for when im recomposing.

Let me know if there are any tips that I've missed, but I think im almost ready to go out and get shooting.

Thanks

Ben Williams - UK
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hertsjoatmon/
NEX 5N / E 18-55. E 16. UWA. Fisheye. Sigma 19. / Minolta MC 50 1.4. Tamron 90 2.5 Macro. Vivitar 100 3.5 Macro / Raynox DCR-250.
Nikon V1 / N1 10-30. N1 30-110.
Sony TX10.
Selling: Tamron 18-200 NEX, SLR Magic 35mm NEX, Minolta Rokkor 50mm 1.4.
Shopping list: NEX6 + 16-50 (replace 5N + 18-55) (under £650). SEL3518 (under £300). Legacy 135mm 2.8 lens
Wish list (out of budget): Zeiss 24 1.8. Sony A99.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Fri 21-Dec-12 04:09 PM
6892 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Camera Settings"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

Here are a few of my tips. I'm also looking forward to seeing other people's tips.

Electronic shutter is great in quiet situations like live events (weddings, golf, parties) because you can get shots without disrupting the action. Mechanical shutter is what I always use when I give the camera to someone to take a picture of me. They don't know if they got a shot without audible feedback.

I personally use single point AF mode without face recognition. It always seems way to jittery for the subjects I use so having it off seems to work best.

Half tap after every shot to dismiss image review on anything but the V2.

I limit myself to A400 for auto and ISO 400 for best results.

I also changed the timeouts so the camera will stay active longer. Uses more battery but I found it more helpful to keep the camera responsive when I need it.

hertsjoatmon Registered since 20th Dec 2012Mon 24-Dec-12 10:24 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Camera Settings"
In response to Reply # 1

UK

Thanks for the tips, I decided to limit the camera to ISO 800 having played with it tonight. I probably would have coped with 1600, but 3200 has too much noise for my taste.
Still playing with the zoom lenses. Having originally planned to sell the 10-30, I may sell my 18-55 zoom for my NEX instead and only use primes on that body.

My Richard Franiec grip arrives in a few days, I think it will help the ergonomics.

I'd have chosen the 11-27.5 over the 10-30 if I could due tp the improved sharpness from reviews I've read (and the smaller size). I'd rather the 10-30 had no VR and a wider aperture, but cant please everyone I guess.

Pleased with the focus response, even in low light.

Still trying to figure out the combination of cameras and lenses that best suit my Photographic style but with the V1, I feel one step closer. I'll keep trying the NEX + Prime and V1 + zoom combo and see how I get on.

Ben Williams - UK
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hertsjoatmon/
NEX 5N / E 18-55. E 16. UWA. Fisheye. Sigma 19. / Minolta MC 50 1.4. Tamron 90 2.5 Macro. Vivitar 100 3.5 Macro / Raynox DCR-250.
Nikon V1 / N1 10-30. N1 30-110.
Sony TX10.
Selling: Tamron 18-200 NEX, SLR Magic 35mm NEX, Minolta Rokkor 50mm 1.4.
Shopping list: NEX6 + 16-50 (replace 5N + 18-55) (under £650). SEL3518 (under £300). Legacy 135mm 2.8 lens
Wish list (out of budget): Zeiss 24 1.8. Sony A99.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2352 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.