Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2330
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon V1 fotodiox grip" Previous topic | Next topic
hertsjoatmon Registered since 20th Dec 2012Thu 20-Dec-12 02:52 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon V1 fotodiox grip"

GB

seen good reviews on the following on a different forum.

http://fotodioxpro.com/index.php/fotodiox-pro-all-metal-black-camera-grip-for-nikon-1-v1-mirrorless-camera-with-battery-access-replacing-gr-n1000.html

has anyone here tried this?

Ben Williams - UK
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hertsjoatmon/
NEX 5N / E 18-55. E 16. UWA. Fisheye. Sigma 19. / Minolta MC 50 1.4. Tamron 90 2.5 Macro. Vivitar 100 3.5 Macro / Raynox DCR-250.
Nikon V1 / N1 10-30. N1 30-110.
Sony TX10.
Selling: Tamron 18-200 NEX, SLR Magic 35mm NEX, Minolta Rokkor 50mm 1.4.
Shopping list: NEX6 + 16-50 (replace 5N + 18-55) (under £650). SEL3518 (under £300). Legacy 135mm 2.8 lens
Wish list (out of budget): Zeiss 24 1.8. Sony A99.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon V1 fotodiox grip
walk43 Gold Member
20th Dec 2012
donjenne Silver Member
21st Dec 2012
walk43 Gold Member
21st Dec 2012
pentwater Silver Member
22nd Dec 2012
Bob Chadwick Silver Member
22nd Dec 2012
jbloom Gold Member
22nd Dec 2012
hertsjoatmon
22nd Dec 2012
22nd Dec 2012
jbloom Gold Member
22nd Dec 2012
22nd Dec 2012
pentwater Silver Member
22nd Dec 2012
FredB D3 Silver Member
26th Dec 2012
TheDude Silver Member
29th Dec 2012
29th Dec 2012
FredB D3 Silver Member
29th Dec 2012
29th Dec 2012
FredB D3 Silver Member
30th Dec 2012
DavidHarsay
31st Dec 2012

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Thu 20-Dec-12 05:23 PM
707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon V1 fotodiox grip"
In response to Reply # 0

Pennsylvania, US

Yes and it's great. The door to the battery works and the grip is tight and comfortable. My ft-1 fits and my quick plate fits on the ft-1 tripod socket. I highly recommend it.

Dan
(Nikon D800, V2 & Sony HX400V SuperZoom)
"My most rewarding photos are those that capture something I didn't 'see' in the viewfinder....so just SHOOT."

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

donjenne Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Dec 2007Fri 21-Dec-12 08:40 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon V1 fotodiox grip"
In response to Reply # 1

Thornton, US

I just bought this grip also and am extremely pleased. Really gives the little V1 a good solid feel. The only thing I don't like is the tripod mount is off to the side now and not in the middle of the camera base.

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Fri 21-Dec-12 09:38 PM
707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon V1 fotodiox grip"
In response to Reply # 2
Fri 21-Dec-12 10:50 PM by walk43

Pennsylvania, US

I agree that might be a bit concerning when you first look at it...but others have told me its not a problem with the V1 and the CX lenses since that set-up is very light... the off-set will not matter.

If they would have put the tripod mount in the center of the grip plate (i.e. in the screw knob), there would be no access to the battery door once the V1 is mounted on the tripod. At least on my tripod, using a ball head with quick release plates, I can still get the SD card and battery out...which I do a lot actually when I am set-up and doing shots at home.

Also, if you plan to have larger/heavier lenses on the V1 that might worry you about the location of the tripod mount on the end of the grip, you will have the FT1 with a tripod mount in the center of the FT1 where you should be putting your QR plate.... so it will be nicely balanced. On my V1 set-up it works perfectly and I suspect it will work for you also.

Enjoy...

Dan
(Nikon D800, V2 & Sony HX400V SuperZoom)
"My most rewarding photos are those that capture something I didn't 'see' in the viewfinder....so just SHOOT."

pentwater Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Dec 2003Sat 22-Dec-12 01:40 PM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon V1 fotodiox grip"
In response to Reply # 0

Jupiter, US

Another alternative you might consider is the Franiec grip which can be found here:

http://www.kleptography.com/rf/#camera_nikon1v1

I like it because it keeps the form as small as possible yet allows one to easily handle the camera... not something I was comfortable with out of the box!

Cheers,

Bill

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Sat 22-Dec-12 03:49 PM
2046 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon V1 fotodiox grip"
In response to Reply # 4
Sat 22-Dec-12 03:51 PM by Bob Chadwick

Norcross, US

I bought that one earlier this week. It was the sleekest of the ones I looked at with nothing on the bottom to interfere with the battery door, tripod mount, etc.

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics.Com

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sat 22-Dec-12 04:03 PM
6631 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon V1 fotodiox grip"
In response to Reply # 4

Wethersfield, US

My understanding is that the Franiec grip attaches with adhesive tape. So I wonder, if you wanted to remove it, could you do so without marring the camera?

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

hertsjoatmon Registered since 20th Dec 2012Sat 22-Dec-12 04:08 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon V1 fotodiox grip"
In response to Reply # 6

GB

>My understanding is that the Franiec grip attaches with
>adhesive tape. So I wonder, if you wanted to remove it, could
>you do so without marring the camera?
>
I'm also wondering this. The grip i posted in the OP isn't available in the UK so was looking at the Richard Franiec V1 grip as an alternative.
Thanks

Ben Williams - UK
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hertsjoatmon/
NEX 5N / E 18-55. E 16. UWA. Fisheye. Sigma 19. / Minolta MC 50 1.4. Tamron 90 2.5 Macro. Vivitar 100 3.5 Macro / Raynox DCR-250.
Nikon V1 / N1 10-30. N1 30-110.
Sony TX10.
Selling: Tamron 18-200 NEX, SLR Magic 35mm NEX, Minolta Rokkor 50mm 1.4.
Shopping list: NEX6 + 16-50 (replace 5N + 18-55) (under £650). SEL3518 (under £300). Legacy 135mm 2.8 lens
Wish list (out of budget): Zeiss 24 1.8. Sony A99.

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Sat 22-Dec-12 04:20 PM
2046 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Nikon V1 fotodiox grip"
In response to Reply # 7

Norcross, US

It does. Not sure why tape would mar the camera. At worst, it would leave some adhesive that could be removed.

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics.Com

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sat 22-Dec-12 08:41 PM
6631 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Nikon V1 fotodiox grip"
In response to Reply # 8

Wethersfield, US

Bob, I wasn't sure how permanent the bond is. Sounds like it's something that could be removed if desired.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Sat 22-Dec-12 10:37 PM
#11. "RE: Nikon V1 fotodiox grip"
In response to Reply # 10

Norcross, US

I'm with Pentwater. I don't see it ever being removed.

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics.Com

pentwater Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Dec 2003Sat 22-Dec-12 04:32 PM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Nikon V1 fotodiox grip"
In response to Reply # 0

Jupiter, US

The Franiec's instructions say that you can use "dental floss" to cut the bond of the tape strip and remove the grip. I think if any adhesive remained it could easily be removed with Goof Off or something similarly benign. That said, the grip is, I believe, invaluable to the design of the camera and I couldn't see why one would want to remove it.

FredB D3 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2008Wed 26-Dec-12 02:16 PM
871 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Nikon V1 fotodiox grip"
In response to Reply # 0

Potomac, US

While either would appear to be a nice accessory, I have the following observations or cautions (for whatever they might be worth to those considering a purchase):

Franiec grip - appears to be incompatible with the RRS L-bracket for the V1; I don't know about other similar brackets.

Fotodiox Pro grip does not appear to be Arca-Swiss compatible. It seems to me it would not have been that difficult to make it so, although it might have added to the cost.

Fred
Maryland, USA

TheDude Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Aug 2007Sat 29-Dec-12 03:48 AM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Nikon V1 fotodiox grip"
In response to Reply # 12

Santa Clara, US

I just picked up a small Arca Mount and still have access to the battery & card.

Randy

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Sat 29-Dec-12 04:37 AM
#14. "RE: Nikon V1 fotodiox grip"
In response to Reply # 13

Norcross, US

I put the Franiec grip on this afternoon. Makes the camera much more comfortable in my hand. It shouldn't interfere with an L bracket.

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics.Com

FredB D3 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2008Sat 29-Dec-12 01:56 PM
871 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Nikon V1 fotodiox grip"
In response to Reply # 14

Potomac, US

>It shouldn't interfere with an L bracket.

See iPhone photos below. The RRS L-bracket covers the entire bottom of the V1, and surrounds it with a lip that forms a recessed area within which the camera sits. The lip would not fit around the bottom of the grip unless the lip were ground down, probably (carefully) do-able. My Google search (nikon v1 l bracket) turned up no other manufacturers' L-brackets.

Fred
Maryland, USA

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Sat 29-Dec-12 03:15 PM
#16. "RE: Nikon V1 fotodiox grip"
In response to Reply # 15

Norcross, US

Thanks for clarifying Fred. I did not realized it sat inside the lip.

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics.Com

FredB D3 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2008Sun 30-Dec-12 07:02 PM
#17. "RE: Nikon V1 fotodiox grip"
In response to Reply # 16

Potomac, US

You're welcome, Bob. The grip looks like a good idea, especially with the A-C plate as you have installed it.

Fred
Maryland, USA

DavidHarsay Registered since 10th Sep 2012Mon 31-Dec-12 01:21 AM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Nikon V1 fotodiox grip"
In response to Reply # 13

Fort Myers, US

Looks like you've installed a cover over the camera body also, what kind is it, and did it go under the mount? If it did, how well did that work?

>I just picked up a small Arca Mount and still have access to
>the battery & card.
>
>Randy

Visit
>my
>Nikonians gallery>.

>
>
>

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2330 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.