Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2315
View in linear mode

Subject: "Wrist Strap" Previous topic | Next topic
Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Wed 19-Dec-12 06:31 PM
2052 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Wrist Strap"
Wed 19-Dec-12 06:39 PM by Bob Chadwick

Norcross, US

Recieved my V1 today. I just couldn't resist the reduced price. I want to put a small wrist strap on it rather than use the neck strap that came with. I saw that Nikon has a strap and I saw an the OP/Tech QD Strap.

Does anyone have any recomendations?

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics.Com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Wrist Strap
walk43 Gold Member
19th Dec 2012
Bob Chadwick Silver Member
20th Dec 2012
JonK Moderator
20th Dec 2012
Daveecopping Silver Member
20th Dec 2012
20th Dec 2012
walk43 Gold Member
20th Dec 2012
20th Dec 2012
sabbey51 Gold Member
20th Dec 2012
walk43 Gold Member
20th Dec 2012
JonK Moderator
21st Dec 2012
walk43 Gold Member
21st Dec 2012
JonK Moderator
21st Dec 2012
21st Dec 2012

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Wed 19-Dec-12 11:54 PM
711 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Wrist Strap"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 19-Dec-12 11:57 PM by walk43

Pennsylvania, US

It all depends on what you like.

If you have not used one before I suggest you think about the type you want. The ones that wrap around the wrist with a clip on to the camera, are too cumbersome for me and the ones that only go from the tripod mount to the top right strap mount on the camera don't provide me the protection I want if the camera were to slip or get bumped out of my hand. I made my own for my D800 which has the pad on the back of the hand but allows your hand to go through it and then is attached to the camera strap mount. It also takes the weight of the camera off my 'fingers' and puts it on my wrist to provide support for the D800 weight. Works great. With it I can slip my hand through easily but if the camera slips then my wrist has the strap around it and won't hit the ground.

For my V1, I got a braided black leather strap that simply slips through the strap mount on the top right of the camera and then over my wrist loosly and is about 10" long in total. I got it at Rainbowimaging through Amazon. Same concept as the one I made but with no hand pad. It has a heavy nylon mesh (like a regular neck strap about 3/8" wide at the strap mount) that you simply loop through the strap mount and through the other end of the strap and pull it tight. So far I like it alot and it was only $9 total and very sturdy and well made.

It's all a personal preference....

Dan
(Nikon D800, V2 & Sony HX400V SuperZoom)
"My most rewarding photos are those that capture something I didn't 'see' in the viewfinder....so just SHOOT."

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Thu 20-Dec-12 12:00 AM
2052 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Wrist Strap"
In response to Reply # 1

Norcross, US

Thanks Dan. I'm looking for something that will "catch" the little camera when it falls out of my big hand.

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics.Com

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Thu 20-Dec-12 02:38 AM
4911 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Wrist Strap"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

For fun, I picked up a combo, a thumb band, a wrist strap, and a neck strap. I think it was Op tech. I've used the wrist and neck straps.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

Daveecopping Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2011Thu 20-Dec-12 09:21 AM
173 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Wrist Strap"
In response to Reply # 3

Polegate, GB

I use a Black Rapids RS7 strap for a D700, D5100 and V1. The V1 and RS7 is attracting some odd looks though. I wonder if folk think it's a purse at first glance?

Dave

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Thu 20-Dec-12 11:07 AM
#5. "RE: Wrist Strap"
In response to Reply # 4

Norcross, US

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I ended up going with this the OP/Tech Cam Strap™ - QD

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics.Com

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Thu 20-Dec-12 11:49 AM
711 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Wrist Strap"
In response to Reply # 5

Pennsylvania, US

That's the design I like best also. Good luck!!

Dan
"My most rewarding photos are those that capture something I didn't 'see' in the viewfinder....so just SHOOT."

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Thu 20-Dec-12 11:56 AM
#7. "RE: Wrist Strap"
In response to Reply # 6

Norcross, US

Thanks Dan. The Black Rapid strap was a similiar design but it was a lot bigger and had a big connector on it. The neoprene also looks more comfortable.

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics.Com

sabbey51 Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jan 2010Thu 20-Dec-12 10:48 PM
574 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Wrist Strap"
In response to Reply # 3

Saddle river, US

>For fun, I picked up a combo, a thumb band, a wrist strap,
>and a neck strap. I think it was Op tech. I've used the wrist
>and neck straps.
>
>Jon Kandel
>A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
>Please visit my website and critique the
>images!

Same kit I use. The thumb band stays on my Oly XZ-1, the other two pieces take turns,on the V1.

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Thu 20-Dec-12 10:50 PM
#9. "RE: Wrist Strap"
In response to Reply # 8

Pennsylvania, US

Just curious.... What's a thumb band and what is it used for??

Dan

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Fri 21-Dec-12 12:02 AM
4911 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Wrist Strap"
In response to Reply # 9

New York, US

Dan, I'd never heard of it either but as I said it was part of the package. And I did want the wrist and neck straps. I tried the Finger Cuff (as Op/Tech calls it) on one walk and found it unobtrusive, not a bother, but it did offer that extra security as compared to carrying a small camera in hand without a safety net.

The package is the Op Tech Compact Strap Trio.

Jon Kandel

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Fri 21-Dec-12 12:33 AM
#11. "RE: Wrist Strap"
In response to Reply # 10

Pennsylvania, US

Thanks Jon... I'll have to think about that. And it looks like you lost your accessory cover too

Dan

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Fri 21-Dec-12 02:10 AM
#12. "RE: Wrist Strap"
In response to Reply # 11

New York, US

Yup. Just like every other V1 owner after the first day…

Jon Kandel

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Fri 21-Dec-12 02:35 AM
#13. "RE: Wrist Strap"
In response to Reply # 12

Norcross, US

You know they did a good job with the battery pack/grips creating a place to put the covers when you take them off. Why can't they do the same thing for other little removable parts?

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics.Com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2315 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.