Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2310
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon V2 Firmware Corruption" Previous topic | Next topic
jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Mon 17-Dec-12 06:20 PM
5953 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon V2 Firmware Corruption"
Mon 17-Dec-12 11:53 PM by dm1dave

Wethersfield, US

>> Important information for V2 owners <<

Per Thom Hogan:

http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/nikon-v2-firmware-corruptio.html

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon V2 Firmware Corruption
dm1dave Administrator
17th Dec 2012
SRFast Silver Member
31st Dec 2012
VR8 Silver Member
12th Jun 2013
mjhach Silver Member
28th Aug 2013
Covey22 Moderator
28th Aug 2013
mjhach Silver Member
29th Aug 2013
VR8 Silver Member
28th Aug 2013
mjhach Silver Member
29th Aug 2013
VR8 Silver Member
29th Aug 2013
mjhach Silver Member
29th Aug 2013
richardd300 Silver Member
30th Aug 2013
richardd300 Silver Member
30th Aug 2013

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Mon 17-Dec-12 11:51 PM
11072 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon V2 Firmware Corruption"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 18-Dec-12 12:45 AM by dm1dave

Lowden, US

Jon,

Thanks for the link.

Anyone using a V2 should read this notice.

Here are two links from Nikon USA with this warning.

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17908/~/1-nikkor-vr-10-30mm-f%2F3.5-5.6-l-firmware-1.10-upgrade

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17555/~/1-nikkor-vr-10-100mm-f%2F4.5-5.6-pd-zoom-l-firmware-1.01-upgrade

Jon – I edited your post to add....>> Important information for V2 owners <<

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Underwater | Online Assignments| Best of 2014

SRFast Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Dec 2004Mon 31-Dec-12 08:46 PM
1387 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon V2 Firmware Corruption"
In response to Reply # 1

New York City, US

It is unfortunate that camera owners don't confirm what firmware versions have before they update. I received my V2 the second week of December 2012 and it already had the lens firmware ver. 1.10 loaded. We all need be be more observant to avoid problems.

Happy New Year....JL

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Wed 12-Jun-13 08:09 PM
771 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon V2 Firmware Corruption"
In response to Reply # 1
Wed 12-Jun-13 08:12 PM by VR8

Ottawa, CA

Nikon just confirmed to me tat even with the latest firmware 1.1, the lenses cannot be upgraded. You have to send them in.

Thanks

Victor

My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Wed 28-Aug-13 03:41 PM
464 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon V2 Firmware Corruption"
In response to Reply # 3

Simcoe, CA

>Nikon just confirmed to me tat even with the latest firmware
>1.1, the lenses cannot be upgraded.

So what is your opinion of the V1 or V2.

I'm thinking of a second camera somewhat inconspicuous compared to D7000. A used V1 can be had for about $350 with the 10-30mm. Should I go for it or stay away? My coolpix L120 has poor IQ.

Thanks for your opinions.
Mike

I've read much of this forum and it looks like decent IQ from images submitted.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberWed 28-Aug-13 05:47 PM
10426 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon V2 Firmware Corruption"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Either V is head and shoulders above the Coolpix. The best buy is really the V1 for it's price - it's a steal. Pair it with the 30-110 CX with ED and VR, you will be stunned by the IQ coming out of that lens. Small and fast, that's what characterizes the Nikon 1 series.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Thu 29-Aug-13 10:34 PM
464 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon V2 Firmware Corruption"
In response to Reply # 5

Simcoe, CA

I was able to get a new V1 kit with 10-30mm for $350!!! This is on sale at Henry's at $200 off till Sept 28th. I tried the V2 in-store and it is easier to hold than the J1 that they also had but the bulkiness is what I'm trying avoid. They did have the flash unit, a 5 and 7? I think. Quite a bit difference in size and output, but worth the extra cost, I think for those situations requiring its use. I'll have 15 days to "practice" before I can return it or keep it.

I think it'll be nice to just "pocket" all the time, over carrying the D7000 and lenses.

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Wed 28-Aug-13 07:14 PM
771 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon V2 Firmware Corruption"
In response to Reply # 4

Ottawa, CA

I was very impressed by the V1 with the 20mm pancake. Not so pleased with the 30-110. I absolutely hated the fact you had to wait for the image preview to clear before taking another shot. So when the V2 came along and I learned you could avoid image preview I went for it. Should have thought twice, the base ISO went from 100 to 160 and subsequent ISOs were more noisy than I would have liked. In the trade-up I lost the 20mm (it was part of the kit) and gained the 10-30mm. I will admit I am very picky and spoiled by my years of Nikon film cameras the d70, d7000 and 7100. I wanted the V2 for street and a walk around but it has not been as good as the V1 with the 20mm. I have the Ft1, a dx 35mm lens and other things I have tried it works well and sometimes the quality is very good, but its finicky. I am hoping Nikon steps up with a better mirrorless or a D400, so I can trade in my V2.

I am sure that many will and have liked the V2, but I find it hard to use for street and for the nature photography I like to do.

Victor

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Thu 29-Aug-13 10:38 PM
#8. "RE: Nikon V2 Firmware Corruption"
In response to Reply # 6

Simcoe, CA

Have you investigated the Coolpix A that Darryl has asked for input on? I just don't know about a fixed lens, these days. I'm so used to the 18-200mm on my D7000.

I'm not stuck on getting the V1, but I think the image quality will be better that the completely flat cameras that the competitors are peddling with 24X power etc,etc. I've also considered the Fuji X series, but again fixed lens and way more $$$.

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Thu 29-Aug-13 10:44 PM
#9. "RE: Nikon V2 Firmware Corruption"
In response to Reply # 8

Ottawa, CA

No I have been using my D7100 almost everyday. I will be looking around in the fall.

Victor

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Thu 29-Aug-13 11:30 PM
#10. "RE: Nikon V2 Firmware Corruption"
In response to Reply # 9

Simcoe, CA

OK Thanks.

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Fri 30-Aug-13 01:23 PM
3104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Nikon V2 Firmware Corruption"
In response to Reply # 10

Dyserth, GB

I'm always surprised at the competency of the V1, with and without using the FT-1 adaptor for AF-S lenses. I really enjoy pairing it with my 70-300mm VR and 16-35mm f4. The only drawback to me and this where the market has to sort itself out, is with the EVF. In truth I find it's not much of an improvement on my old Minolta Dynax 7 from 2001. However, I have tried the Olypmus OMD and find that far more satisfactory. This is only my personal opinion, but I use live view mostly and certainly when on a tripod.

Currently, one gets an enormously capable camera at a price which is way short of what the cameras worth in quality. The FT-1 continues to reside in Nikon rip off territory, but I do enjoy the flexibility of using the AF-S lenses. The kit lenses are no slouches either providing wholly acceptable imagery.

For the money it's bang on the mark and I can't ever see me buying a V2. However, technology will advance and some day soon we'll all be talking mirrorless

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Fri 30-Aug-13 01:28 PM
3104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Nikon V2 Firmware Corruption"
In response to Reply # 8
Fri 30-Aug-13 01:29 PM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

As an aside, I am amazed at the quality my new Coolpix P7700 delivers, even at full zoom. So much so that it's relegated my D7100 to 3rd in line status as a take anywhere camera. It certainly equals my V1. The added bonus is that my wife has become very interested in photography since she started useing the P7700. There's a lot of very competent kit out there at low prices.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2310 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.