nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon's Weight Limit on the V1 Lens Mount ???

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
walk43 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012
Sat 15-Dec-12 06:15 PM | edited Sat 15-Dec-12 06:53 PM by walk43

I am expecting my V1 on Tuesday and doing some reading in advance. Ron Galbraith has a great article (link below) about the FT-1 and in that article he mentions that the V1 has a weight limit for the lens and FT-1 attached...otherwise the V1 lens mount will be damaged.

Full Article Here:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-11668-12212
(but if you want to read only about the weight issue just keep reading)

So my question is.... how do you folks carry your V1 and the FT-1 with a 70-200VR, 300 f/4 or other lens that exceeds Nikons weight limit if the lens does not have a carry strap/ring?? And for that matter, do the D300, D7000, D3X, D600, D800 etc. also have weight limits for the their lens mounts?

In Ron's article the specific section on weight limit states:
"The J1 and V1 lens mounts aren't built to accommodate hefty lenses. Put something like the AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II on the FT1, attach that to the camera, then pick up the camera alone, without simultaneously supporting the weight of the lens, and you can expect the body's lens mount to be damaged.

The problem is simple enough to avoid while shooting pictures with this zoom: take the lens' weight out of the equation by securing its 1/4-20 mount directly to a tripod or monopod, or by resting it in your left hand. With smaller but still beefy lenses that lack their own 1/4-20 option, make use of the 1/4-20 mount on the FT1 itself.

The tricky part, then, is knowing how to comfortably carry the camera + FT1 + lens together. The AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II, for example, weighs 54.3oz/1540g, which is well beyond the J1 and V1 lens mount's unsupported lens weight specification of 13.4oz/380g. This means that putting the camera strap over your shoulder and letting the FT1 + 70-200mm dangle at your side is not a wise move. A workaround would be to carry the combo by the lens' own strap, but this lens doesn't come with one, nor does it have strap lugs.

My solution has been to attach a quick deployment cross-strap to the lens' 1/4-20 mount. I'm a fan of the Sun Sniper Sniper-Strap, but products such as those in the Black Rapid RS series should work just as well".

So here is MY concern. I know a lot of you folks use those slings. But the camera is still carrying the weight of the lens as it hangs down and as you initially grab it and begin lifting it in place.

Is anyone aware of the weight limits for lens mounts... and isn't this potentially a problem for all Nikons with heavy lenses...or is it just that the V1 has the under 400g limit??

I can't believe that Nikon would make the V1 with a FT-1 adapter that couldn't support the weight of lenses over 400g.

Dan
(Nikon D800,V2,Sony HX400V,Lumix ZS40)
"I don't read, I just look at pictures" - Andy Warhol

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon's Weight Limit on the V1 Lens Mount ???

G