Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2296
View in linear mode

Subject: "More fun with a small sensor" Previous topic | Next topic
jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sat 15-Dec-12 06:27 PM
7033 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"More fun with a small sensor"
Sat 15-Dec-12 06:32 PM by jbloom

Wethersfield, US

While I was waiting for my son's basketball practice to finish today I went down to the local cove and took photos of some cooperative gulls using my V1, FT-1 and AF-S 400 f/2.8.

Here's a shot along with a 100% crop, converted to TIFF using ViewNX 2 and cropped in Photoshop. (No additional sharpening applied to the 100% crop):

Then, just to be wild and crazy, I added my TC-17EII to the set-up. That's right, a 35mm-equivalent focal length of 1836mm!

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: More fun with a small sensor
jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums.
15th Dec 2012
walk43 Gold Member
15th Dec 2012
Matto Silver Member
19th Dec 2012
jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums.
19th Dec 2012
david_mathre Platinum Member
24th Dec 2012

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sat 15-Dec-12 06:37 PM
7033 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: More fun with a small sensor"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

Here's an oddity... the V1 reported the 400 focal length correctly in the EXIF, but when I added the 1.7 TC it reported the FL as 950mm instead of the correct 680. That's off by a factor of 1.4 for some reason.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Sat 15-Dec-12 11:00 PM
711 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: More fun with a small sensor"
In response to Reply # 1
Sat 15-Dec-12 11:01 PM by walk43

Pennsylvania, US

Maybe the exit data won't go that high and wrapped around some how. Pictures are amazing at that length.

Dan
(Nikon D800, V2 & Sony HX400V SuperZoom)
"My most rewarding photos are those that capture something I didn't 'see' in the viewfinder....so just SHOOT."

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Matto Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2007Wed 19-Dec-12 06:49 PM
646 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: More fun with a small sensor"
In response to Reply # 2

Glenwood, US

I tried using my Sigma 150-500mm OS lens with the FT-1. I get a message saying "attach lens". I guess the camera software can't recognize a non-Nikon lens. Too bad, the result would have been impressive.

Matthew

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Wed 19-Dec-12 07:05 PM
#4. "RE: More fun with a small sensor"
In response to Reply # 3

Wethersfield, US

Hmmm... worked just fine with my Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 (non-OS) lens.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

david_mathre Platinum Member Nikonian since 24th Nov 2006Mon 24-Dec-12 11:31 PM
530 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: More fun with a small sensor"
In response to Reply # 0

Skillman, US

I took the N1V2 out with a 600 mm f/4 lens today. On a sunny day, need to try it with a Questar birding telescope.

24-December-2012

DJM

"Images of the Day" PhotoBlog
My Nikonians Gallery
ShepArtPhotography Gallery

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2296 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.