nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #227
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon 1 IQ" Previous topic | Next topic
TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007Tue 08-Nov-11 12:02 AM
2340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon 1 IQ"

Bay Area, US

For those here who own one these model, what do you think about the image quality? I've tried them out in the store, and response time is surprisingly good and pretty much on par with entry level DSLRs in every way. But all the full resolution image samples I have seen anywhere look like more on par with good Point and Shoot cameras, at least at base ISO. There is noise in the shadows, even at ISO 100, contrast on fine details is low, colors in the shadows are muted, and tonal transitions are not always smooth. Of course this shouldn't come as a surprise, given the small sensor, but one always hopes for miracles...

Anyway, I'd be curious to hear what you think.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon 1 IQ
wcguy Silver Member
08th Nov 2011
TomCurious
08th Nov 2011
rickpaul Silver Member
09th Nov 2011
wcguy Silver Member
09th Nov 2011
TomCurious
09th Nov 2011
bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources
10th Nov 2011
TomCurious
10th Nov 2011
keithbamber Gold Member
09th Nov 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
10th Nov 2011
TomCurious
10th Nov 2011
agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
10th Nov 2011
TomCurious
10th Nov 2011
agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
11th Nov 2011
Matto Silver Member
13th Nov 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
13th Nov 2011
13th Nov 2011
Matto Silver Member
14th Nov 2011
14th Nov 2011
Matto Silver Member
16th Nov 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
16th Nov 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
16th Nov 2011
16th Nov 2011
bobstrle
15th Nov 2011
15th Nov 2011
bobstrle
15th Nov 2011
15th Nov 2011
bobstrle
15th Nov 2011
TomCurious
15th Nov 2011
bobstrle
16th Nov 2011
FutureLook Silver Member
16th Nov 2011
TomCurious
17th Nov 2011
wcguy Silver Member
17th Nov 2011
alicat
18th Nov 2011
TomCurious
19th Nov 2011
wcguy Silver Member
19th Nov 2011
TomCurious
20th Nov 2011
bobtail Silver Member
21st Nov 2011
TomCurious
22nd Nov 2011
22nd Nov 2011
Garrett Hayes Gold Member
23rd Nov 2011
23rd Nov 2011
23rd Nov 2011
23rd Nov 2011
rhulbert Gold Member Winner of the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded for his limitless enthusiasm and extraordinarily genial nature consistently in support of Nikonians Writer Ribbon awarded for his generous and valuable contributions to the Nikonians Articles (Resources) section.
23rd Nov 2011
Len Shepherd Gold Member
24th Nov 2011
jpFoto
24th Nov 2011
dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community
24th Nov 2011
jpFoto
25th Nov 2011
25th Nov 2011
dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community
25th Nov 2011
jpFoto
25th Nov 2011
25th Nov 2011
jpFoto
25th Nov 2011
briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills
25th Nov 2011
rhulbert Gold Member Winner of the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded for his limitless enthusiasm and extraordinarily genial nature consistently in support of Nikonians Writer Ribbon awarded for his generous and valuable contributions to the Nikonians Articles (Resources) section.
24th Nov 2011
wcguy Silver Member
25th Nov 2011
TomCurious
25th Nov 2011
25th Nov 2011

wcguy Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Nov 2009Tue 08-Nov-11 03:30 AM
44 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

From the latest reviews I think they are very fond of the V1 and J1. Here is a good review that tells and shows what the camera is capable of.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-11666-11988

'ITS WHAT YOU LEARN AFTER YOU KNOW IT ALL THAT COUNTS'

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007Tue 08-Nov-11 05:33 PM
2340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 1
Tue 08-Nov-11 05:34 PM by TomCurious

Bay Area, US

Thank you! I've downloaded the high resolution samples from the last page, and they all look unimpressive to me. Very nice if it were a P+S, but not for a $1000 camera system. Since the Nikon 1 sensor is somewhere in between P+S and DSLR, I was hoping IQ would be closer to DSLR (or something like the Fuji X100) but it looks it's not. Otherwise a great camera.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

rickpaul Silver Member Charter MemberWed 09-Nov-11 02:04 AM
1808 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 2

Tucson, US

While everyone looks to any model and brand of cameras for different needs, this camera matches exactly what I want.

I'm not looking for a P&S sized camera that shoots as good as a D3. I'm looking for a small camera to carry around all the time, that is capable of creative shots. The reviews of this camera already reveal it's image quality is better than a P7000, and it certainly has more capability.

For someone who has lugged a D3 around Disneyland, I'm looking forward to the V1!

--------------------------
Rick Paul
The Photo Professors

Saguaro Shadows Photography
Tucson, Arizona

My Nikonians Gallery

My Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

wcguy Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Nov 2009Wed 09-Nov-11 03:59 AM
44 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 3

CA

I agree Rick.I don't think there is any one camera that will suit everyone, but the V1 is small enough and versatile enough with it's initial line of lenses to suit many Nikon folks and others, the 10-100 lens that I have is a little larger but no big deal. I have P&S camera's and this will eliminate them. This camera allows me to replace my D700 for biking trips and ATV trips, not quality wise but good enough and compact wise with a decent lens choice.Lens due out for this camera look pretty good too, so this will make the V1 a decent if not very good mini DSLR system, that will be easy to transport.I think the N1 systems will surprise a lot of people. If one does their due diligence they will find that most reviews now are favoring this system.The HD video is amazing , I didn't buy it for that but after messing with it I can't get away from it.I know you will really enjoy it, I do, oh and as far a the price, if anyone is worried about price in the photo world they better not get too involved, I spent more on my P&S's than this system cost me. One FX lens cost more than my V1 and two lenses.I know its worth and I am sure you will also. Good luck.

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007Wed 09-Nov-11 06:13 PM
#6. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 3

Bay Area, US

>I'm not looking for a P&S sized camera that shoots as good
>as a D3.

I doubt anybody in the world has this expectation. Mine is much more modest: For family travel I take my D40, which is Nikon's most basic DSLR from years back, and cost only about half as much when new as the V1 today. It would be great to get similar performance in a smaller package. I looked at other mirrorless cameras from Fuji, Olympus and Panasonic. They all pretty much matched the D40 in IQ but fall behind in response time (time to turn on, time to focus, shutter lag etc). The V1 does great in that department but does not approach the D40 in IQ, at least not from the images I have seen. But I don't own a V1 and only looked at images on the web, that's why I asked here.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004Thu 10-Nov-11 05:16 AM
9681 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 6
Thu 10-Nov-11 05:50 AM by bclaff

Vancouver (WA USA not Canada), US

Tom,

The V1 does great in that department but does not approach the D40 in IQ, at least not from the images I have seen. But I don't own a V1 and only looked at images on the web, that's why I asked here.

From what little technical information I have I would expect the Nikon 1 to performance, for identical final print sizes, to be about that of the D40, D50, D2X, and D3000.

If any Nikonian has access to a Nikon 1 I'd love to hear from them about some tests we can perform to objectively judge image quality without relying on outside reviewers.
(Email is best.)

Regards,
Bill

Edited to add:
My comments rely heavily on the dynamic range figures published by DxoMark.
These figures have historically correlated well with my Photographic Dynamic Range (PDR) numbers. (See my site for details.)

However... DxoMark may not compensate for changes in sensor size the same way that I do (correctly ).
So it's certainly possible that the DxoMark numbers have mislead me.

All the more reason for some independent data from a Nikonian!
(And yes, I do know the difference between taking photographs and simply testing camera sensors!)

Visit me at My site

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007Thu 10-Nov-11 06:59 PM
#12. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 8

Bay Area, US

Thanks for the info! This is a good starting point, but personally, I judge by real world images.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

keithbamber Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2008Wed 09-Nov-11 01:21 PM
63 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 1

Romsey, UK

Thank you for the link. It was good to read a review from someone who tested the camera against relevant criteria. It looks very interesting. It will be very helpful to continue to see image examples and hear about how they are being used. I am interested in prints and wonder how large a print the camera might deliver with satisfactory quality.

Keith.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Thu 10-Nov-11 03:38 AM
4481 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

Interesting to hear your thoughts Tom, especially with regard to the D40 comparison, as I had not seen anyone comment on that before. Certainly the D40 has always had a good IQ rep. In my own IQ analysis I am not expecting it to compare to DX sensors, but I did have a hard look at the m4/3 samples and the 1 series is close enough to equivalent, so I thought Nikon did a good job there.

I think the point that was important in my purchasing decision is that my V1/10-30 is a RAW shooting, Capture NX processable, Nikkor compatible, small camera that I can fit in my jacket packet, whereas this would be more difficult to do with a D40/18-55.

Thus the V1 is the best camera that I actually have with me all the time now!

I had at one point a year ago an intention to carry my D7000 with a 35 f1.8 (too big) or a 40mm f2 MF (MF is not my strong suit) to perform this role. But I gave up on that idea and now the 1 Series does too many other good things I needed, particularly and hugely important to me full-time AF video.

If one's criteria is top-quality still images in a small camera, I think the Sony NEX-5N is a good option for people to also consider, but it doesn't have the 1 series AF advantages, built-in EVF and the 30-110 equivalent lens is far larger for the NEX series than the 1 series, so it doesn't do what I need it to do (in a lot of ways for me especially including I can't use Capture NX - again a huge criterial for me but maybe not for others).

I am really looking forward to getting the 30-110mm - for my shooting style I expect it will be my default kit lens when I'm in urban settings for opportunistic shooting. Looking at the MTF it looks to be a great bargain at $249.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007Thu 10-Nov-11 05:29 AM
#9. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 7

Bay Area, US

Thanks Steve for the info! The D40 is not up to the level of current DX cameras but still very good, and this was kind of my baseline for travel and weekend use. I also looked at m4/3, and if the Nikon 1 is close to that in your opinion, that's good to know. From my little time handling it, I like it very much and already had the V1 in my shopping cart online, but I still have some hesitation on the image quality since I've been pretty spoiled.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Thu 10-Nov-11 05:30 AM
4214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

Nothing wrong with your eyes Tom, and Galbraith states in his detailed review that images are slightly noisy even at base ISO. Background textures and solid color detail even in daylight shots are awash with noise. Mind you, a couple of Galbraith's shots looked positively film-like and I also think that is generally what J1/V1 images look like. At first glance, many of them look like they were made with a film camera loaded with Superia.

Frankly, I think Nikon released the camera slighly early - before the final firmware was ready - and that the actual release firmware will shortly show up in the form of an update to sort out what I consider to be an obvious noise issue. Aside from the base ISO noise, the camera looks and works great.

I also think Nikon made a conscious decision to go for raw AF speed and possibly sacrificed just a bit of accuracy to do so. I'd bet real money the firmware update I'm predicting will improve focus accuracy too. I should be careful here though because I haven't yet had enough time with the V1 and the 10-30 to really get to know the AF system. We all know that producing slightly soft images with a new camera and lens often magically corrects itself as we get more practice with the hardware.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007Thu 10-Nov-11 06:57 PM
#11. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 10

Bay Area, US

Thanks Howard, makes sense. I think I'll wait until more sample images and reviews from users are available, and perhaps the firmware upgrade that you suspect. Then if IQ won't be good enough for my use, I can always wait for the next version of this model.

I think Nikon has made the right decision with this format. Even if the sensor might have some shortcomings today (like noise at base ISO), that will only get better as technology progresses. On the other hand, the other mirror less systems which use sensor sizes m4/3 (Panasonic, Olympus) and DX (Fuji, Sony) will forever be stuck with the larger bodies and much larger lenses compared to Nikon 1. At the other end of the spectrum, I think that P+S cameras will fall by the wayside, as phone cameras get better and better (I sold my P+S since the iPhone4 camera is almost as good now).

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Fri 11-Nov-11 02:26 AM
4214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 11

Toronto, CA

>Thanks Howard, makes sense. I think I'll wait until more
>sample images and reviews from users are available, and
>perhaps the firmware upgrade that you suspect. Then if IQ
>won't be good enough for my use, I can always wait for the
>next version of this model.

I think you're spot on. There is certainly precedent for knowingly releasing a very good camera with slightly flaky firmware. Like Nikon with the J1/V1, I think that Fujifilm rushed the X100 to market last year when that company realized it had a potential hit on its hands. The initial release of the X100 ran on demonstrably flaky firmware. Honestly, nobody can make me believe that Fujifilm, a company with such a deep and successful record in film imaging, digital imaging and in cameras and software, did not realize how flaky the firmware was at the time the X100 was released. The firmware, for all its faults and just like the J1/V1 firmware at release, had reached the point where it was good enough to show off a lot of the camera's best stuff. A quick update just a short while later and the X100 developed real legs.

Similarly, a Nikon J1/V1 with a CX-size sensor should not be producing visible noise of any kind at base ISO. Nikon knows how to do this sort of thing quite well. There's nothing wrong with the sensor at all that non-beta firmware can't correct. Nikon needed to release a good camera and with all the disasters hitting it on almost all sides, an early release of the J1/V1 is just what the doctor ordered I think. I have no facts to back me up, but I'll bet you dinner at John's Grill in S.F. that a J1/V1 firmware update will show up either at the end of November or very early in December.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

Matto Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2007Sun 13-Nov-11 05:54 PM
648 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 13

Glenwood, US

Howard
If Nikon does a firmware fix, do you think that a firmware fix could correct the delay in taking a quick second photo? It seems that the delay may be caused by the camera processing the image to display on the rear LCD, and apparently this can't be stopped. I would find that to be a major annoyance, something that is common in P&S cameras, but should not be found on a camera costing this much. The dedicated hot shoe is an also issue with me. The flash unit for the V1 costs near $150, and has a puny light output. It also has far less output than the SB400, which sells for about the same price. I like the basic concept and some of the compromises needed to make a small comera like this, but I agree with some of the comments expressed here that it has some flaws that it should not have and could have been avoided.

Matthew

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sun 13-Nov-11 06:58 PM
4481 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 14

Alberta, CA

There is a very easy way to solve the "delay" issue:
- set the camera to shoot "Continuos" not "single-shot";
- When shooting in Continuous mode there is no "delay" whatsoever as long as you continue to hold down the shutter release. The V1 buffer is so big that you can shoot 45 continuos RAW images before the buffer fills. For comparison, my D7000 buffer fills after only 11 raw.

So by being in Continuous, you can simply hold down the shutter for a short burst or a long burst, whatever is your need.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Sun 13-Nov-11 07:13 PM
#16. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 14
Sun 13-Nov-11 07:18 PM by agitater

Toronto, CA

>Howard
>If Nikon does a firmware fix, do you think that a firmware fix
>could correct the delay in taking a quick second photo?

I don't know. While I believe the delay can be reduced or eliminated via firmware changes, I also don't know if Nikon considers the delay to be an issue in the first place.

If I'm right about the J1/V1 being initially shipped with beta firmware, it's also possible that the current firmware still contains some code used for error trapping, the elimination of which could also work wonders for general operation speed. In the meantime, I think a V1 user can set the camera for continuous shooting to grab shots in quick sequence.

I think the Fujifilm X100 shipped in 2010 with beta firmware. The rather quick arrival of its first firmware update changed the X100 from a great new camera design into a genuinely remarkable creative photography tool. Similarly, I think Nikon engineers and software programmers can make magic with a firmware update.

>The dedicated hot shoe is
>an also issue with me. The flash unit for the V1 costs near
>$150, and has a puny light output. It also has far less output
>than the SB400, which sells for about the same price.

I think we tend to look at new Nikon products from the standpoint established by our individual experiences with the Nikon products we currently own and use. Nikon has developed a brand new sensor format for itself, along with a set of new lenses and (apparently) a whole set of new accessories all specific to the new system. Nikon believes there is a large and potentially profitable market for mirrorless interchangeable lens camera systems that can provide excellent general image quality from a device that doesn't look like even a small conventional DSLR system such as the D3100. So Nikon isn't really aiming the J1/V1 system at photographers who want to repurpose existing DSLR equipment such as the SB400. Quite the contrary, Nikon seems to be opening up a product line aimed at a market segment it has never before addressed.

CX is certainly smaller than the mirrorless APS-C system I predicted months ago would be the next major Nikon camera product. All I got right was the mirrorless and evf bits. Whether or not mirrorless camera systems using increasingly larger sensor sizes and offering higher and higher resolution gradually become the standard over the next ten years or more is another consideration. After all, current SLR-based digital cameras are essentially ancient designs. The touted benefits of physically smaller form factors made possible by mirrorless systems are also debatable.

The smaller sensor formats - CX, micro 4/3, 1/1.7, etc., etc., as the engineering and fabrication get better and better - will may lead the way as time goes by. The sensels/picture elements/light wells-are-too-tightly-packed-and-cause-noise issue is slowly disappearing and will continue to recede. Frankly, these days, and beyond a certain minimum sensor size, technical image quality has as much to do with the way in which the camera proccesses data coming off the sensor as it does with the currently inherent benefits conferred by an APS-C or full frame sensor. I think that processing is as much controlled by how much refinement is permitted by a particular camera's rank in the overall product line and planned price point as it is by any inherent quality limits imposed by the sensor size. Limits remain, certainly, but they're being overcome and that's why I'm very interested in a very quick J1/V1 firmware update.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

Matto Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2007Mon 14-Nov-11 04:09 PM
648 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 16

Glenwood, US

Howard
Thanks for your reply. I hadn't really looked at the Nikon 1 system that way. There may be a lot of new gear coming out for this system, and I am now thinking of holding off buying for a little while to see what shows up. But I really like the idea of reducing the weight of my camera gear when I am out hiking. As I get older, the weight of my backpack is starting to becoming a concern!

Matthew

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Mon 14-Nov-11 04:56 PM
#18. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 17

Toronto, CA

>There may be a lot of new gear coming out for
>this system, and I am now thinking of holding off buying for a
>little while to see what shows up. But I really like the idea
>of reducing the weight of my camera gear when I am out hiking.
>As I get older, the weight of my backpack is starting to
>becoming a concern!

Well said. Pro-grade Nikon gear has never been solely about image quality - it's also been about the I-can-drive-a-spike-into-a-rail-with-this-lens-barrel construction quality. As soon as Nikon released the new 24-120 f/4 VRII last year I bought one and left my much heavier 24-70 f/2.8 (non-VR) boat anchor in the storage cupboard at home. I walk and explore endlessly in whatever city I find myself, and I've reached the point at which I just don't have to haul needlessly heavy gear in order to make the kind of photos I like best.

I think the biggest problem with ultra-lightweight, high quality gear is handholding technique. VR/IS/OS/VC does not cure all camera shake or handholding or photographer movement problems. In some rare circumstances, VR/IS/OS/VC might actually make things worse. I think the related problem with ultra-lighweight gear is that it has no significant anchoring weight of any kind to help create a deeply set and stable hold. The slightest hand shake or whatever sets the camera/lens in motion, which is why a lot of photographers sometimes have to go through weeks or months of dissatisfaction while they gradually re-learn or practice stable handholding using lightweight gear. Again, VR/IS/OS/VC don't solve all problems.

With VR off, the lightest camera setup I can use to consistently make sharp shots is the D7000 + 16-85. I much prefer the D7000 with an attached 17-55 f/2.8 though - it's heavier for sure, but that weight helps stabilize most of my handheld shooting. My initial practice with the V1 + 10-30 1 Nikkor VR lens benefited greatly from the use of a small POD beanbag. For the first couple of days of shooting with the V1, I just couldn't hold the thing steady enough to make sharp shots despite the presence of advanced VR! I was looking for or expecting the weight of the heavier setups (D700 + 24-120 VRII or D7000 + 17-55 f/2.8) but the V1 setup is comparatively feather-light, so I ended up almost waving the thing all over the place. Funny stuff actually.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

Matto Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2007Wed 16-Nov-11 04:59 PM
#26. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 18

Glenwood, US

Howard
Thanks for your reply. I too use a similar DX set up for a lot of my shooting. I use my D90 and the 16-85 VR. For some more serious photography while hiking, I also carry the 70-300 VR. This is more weight than I want to carry, along with water, lunch, and some of the usual items for hikng (extra clothes, lunch, etc.). I am thinking of the Nikon V1, 10-30 lens, 30-100 lens, and the small flash. This would be less than half the weight and about a third the volume of my usual gear. But your comments about holding such light weight gear steady, especially with the 30-100 lens, are something I have to consider. I don't like carrying a tripod if I can use VR lenses to avoid it, but I now wonder if one will be needed and will offset the weight advantage of the V1.
As to your comment about the weight of a lens helping to hold it steady, I think that it may help in some cases. To help damp out very small, random motions, the extra mass helps, but if your hand causes a somewhat longer motion in one direction, overcoming the mass of the lens to reverse the motion usually causes me to overshot in the opposite direction! A similar situation was with some friends at a previous job. They belonged to the pistol club, and they had .22 pistols with thick, heavy barrels. They said the extra weight helped them to achieve a steadier hold.

Matthew

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Wed 16-Nov-11 07:23 PM
#28. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 26

Alberta, CA

I think its too soon to say (about the handholding increased or decreased ability) from my own shooting. I've been doing a large amount of D700 photography in the weeks since getting the V1, so I personally need more time to sense this for myself.

I can indicate, that the mirroless design compleletely eliminates the mirror slap (which to my way of thinking is a major factor), and if you use electronic shutter there is a second improvement as well (perhaps a minor factor).

So the question is, do these two forms of improvment offset the reduced mass issue?

I have seen other Nikon 1 shooters claim an overall direct and real benefit in hand-hold-ability at slow shutter speeds.

You may want to try it yourself and let us know your thoughts

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Wed 16-Nov-11 07:26 PM
#29. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"

Alberta, CA

I have also seen a number of claims of Nikon 1 lens VR to be highly effective (especially in the 30-110).

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Wed 16-Nov-11 08:37 PM
#30. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"

Toronto, CA

>A similar
>situation was with some friends at a previous job. They
>belonged to the pistol club, and they had .22 pistols with
>thick, heavy barrels. They said the extra weight helped them
>to achieve a steadier hold.

Novice, right handed pistol shooters tend to pull their aim to the right because of the direction of trigger finger pull and bad technique. Novice photographers or photographers unused to the weight of a lighter camera sometime press down the whole camera rather than just the shutter button due to bad technique. I think that pressing down the whole camera as the shutter button is depressed is probably the cause of more blurry shots than anything other single cause.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

bobstrle Registered since 23rd Jan 2010Tue 15-Nov-11 04:19 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I got the J1 due to "pocketability" I wanted something small that I can take everywhere. I've had it about 2 weeks and so far love the speed of the autofocus (near instantaneous), subject tracking is spot on. I have very big hands so I'm getting used to shooting this tiny camera compared to my D3s. Image quality is very good. The EXPEED 3 software does a miraculous job of creating very clean images. The auto ISO also works well. I"m shooting in RAW mode "YAY" and the Nikon transfer does a stellar job of converting to JPEGs. The video mode is very good, but you need to make sure you are using a Class 10 SD memory card. The initial 32GB card I had in was only a class 4 and the J1 would only record 3 mins of video before the buffer was full and it would quit recording because it couldn't write to the card fast enough. The class 10 SD card fixed that. The camera gets quite warm when shooting video at 1080p. Has anyone else had this experience? Also, Adobe Lightroom does not recognize the "new" Nikon 1 RAW file format....Anyone have an idea when they will be updating it? It is quite disappointing that I have to use the Nikon Transfer software to see the images.

That being said, so far so good. I also bought the 30-110mm lens from B&H and it is crystal clear. The new bayonet mount is very easy to use and I love the feature that when I unlock the lens it turns on the camera...Stay tuned

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004Tue 15-Nov-11 04:54 AM
9681 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 19

Bob,

Adobe Lightroom does not recognize the "new" Nikon 1 RAW file format....Anyone have an idea when they will be updating it?

I just opened a J1 NEF (downloaded from a review) using the Adobe Photoshop Camera Raw 6.6 Release Candidate

It is quite disappointing that I have to use the Nikon Transfer software to see the images.

This may no longer be true but older versions of Capture had bugs that could even corrupt your image.
If you're paranoid do keep a copy of the original NEF!

Bill

Visit me at My site

bobstrle Registered since 23rd Jan 2010Tue 15-Nov-11 05:15 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 20
Tue 15-Nov-11 05:17 AM by bobstrle

US

Bill:
Followed your link and am downloading the 6.6 candidate now....I'll update you.

Thanks,
Bob Strle

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004Tue 15-Nov-11 05:20 AM
#22. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 21

Bob,

The link in my previous post (#20) points you to the release candidate that anyone can download.

I don't use Lightroom. In fact I'm still using CS2!
But I use a program on my site called NEF2ACR to convert newer model NEF files to DNG and then launch CS2 (or whatever you configure Windows to do with DNG files).

Bill

Visit me at My site

bobstrle Registered since 23rd Jan 2010Tue 15-Nov-11 05:21 AM
#23. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 22

US

Bill:
I noticed when downloading the 6.6 candidate that they have a Lightroom 3.6 release candidate available. It does support the new Nikon J1 and V1 NEF file formats...I've downloaded it too and will give it a try...Thanks for the help.

Bob Strle

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007Tue 15-Nov-11 05:24 AM
#24. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 19

Bay Area, US

Thank you for sharing your experience, good to hear!

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

bobstrle Registered since 23rd Jan 2010Wed 16-Nov-11 05:57 AM
#25. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 24

US

I've downloaded and installed the Lightroom 3.6 release candidate and it works GREAT with my J1 images....thank goodness. Here is the link for those who are interested:
http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/lightroom3-6.html

Good shooting all,

Bob

FutureLook Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Dec 2003Wed 16-Nov-11 06:55 PM
542 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 25

Miami, US

From what I have seen so far, I am not impressed with either one of the new cameras. I thought about getting one but now I am certain that I will continue to use my P7000 that I only paid $380 for it. I can't find a valid reason to spend around $1,000 for a camera showing noise at 100 ISO. Hopefully, a firmware update will correct this flaw. Too soon for me to jump on board.

Visit my website: http://www.futurelookphotography.com

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007Thu 17-Nov-11 05:40 AM
#31. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 0

Bay Area, US

So now finally, after a lot of reading and thinking, I got the V1 today, with kit lenses. Unfortunately, it was already dark when I got home, so for now all I have are some indoor snapshots. I'll be going on a trip next week, will take it along and take some more shots.

It looks fine so far, and my IQ concerns were largely unfounded. Yes it's no DSLR and there is some noise at base ISO but you have to look closely, and if you expose right, it's no issue. And the camera sure handles like a dream.

Here are two quick shots, both indoors at ISO 800. Interestingly, it appears to have no more noise at ISO 800 than at base ISO.

http://www.tkphoto.me/photos/i-qK5vf69/0/XL/i-qK5vf69-XL.jpg

http://www.tkphoto.me/photos/i-BgxhtpC/0/XL/i-BgxhtpC-XL.jpg

This is a 100% crop:

http://www.tkphoto.me/photos/i-dBPWLKs/0/XL/i-dBPWLKs-XL.jpg

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

wcguy Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Nov 2009Thu 17-Nov-11 05:04 PM
#32. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 31
Thu 17-Nov-11 05:12 PM by briantilley

CA

Great job, a nice start with a wonderful handy system, no matter what the naysayers say.

Now you know what the rest of us V1 owners know, that the N1 system is a great small camera outfit and is very good for what it is meant for, not to replace your high end unit but to compliment it. It is a very decent, fun, easy to use camera system. I didn't buy the system for its shortcomings but for its benefits.

The bigger 10-100 which is not big (compared to my FX lenses) takes wonderful pics and does a good job with video. I didn't buy the unit for video, but after using the camera and messing with the video I was so impressed I bought the 10-100 lens and am not looking back. The EVF delay is not a big deal (use piece of tape for now, or turn off the back screen) I just leave it.

I have had more fun with this system lately than with my D700, mostly due to its size and weight. I bought a very small lightweight sport waterproof 1lb. back pack for biking and (spoiling the little guy now) the small light weight L2 Billingham bag, which by the way fits the 10-100, 30-110, 10 2.8 lenses, flash, camera, a mini pod, all adapters and manual perfectly with very easy access. Very nice classy small carry on bag.

Good luck and enjoy your new equipment.

WC

alicat Registered since 18th Oct 2011Fri 18-Nov-11 12:41 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 32

US

I am having a blast with my new V1. It's the most fun camera I've had in a long, long time. Size and speed are the best. Shooting silent even better. Really like the built in EVF and have a flash coming soon.

Now normally I'm a D700 shooter and I make my living with that camera. But just for fun, just to take photos, nothing better.

Steve

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007Sat 19-Nov-11 02:29 AM
#34. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 33
Sat 19-Nov-11 02:30 AM by TomCurious

Bay Area, US

Thanks WC and Steve, and I agree! This camera is so much fun! Today I got the 10mm prime lens, which makes it a very compact kit. And the AF speed on this thing is just insane. In this respect it's at least on par with my D700. Somewhere I read that Nikon claims "world's fastest AF", and they weren't kidding.

Today was overcast and light drizzle, but we still managed to go to a local park and have some fun.

http://www.tkphoto.me/Family/2011/i-SvG3KFK/0/XL/Park-20111118-016-XL.jpg

This image would not have been possible with a P+S. My son extended his hand for perhaps 1 second. A P+S or even m4/3 camera would not even have woken up from sleep in this time, let alone performed the focus and shutter release.

http://www.tkphoto.me/Family/2011/i-mFPX8bR/0/XL/Park-20111118-013-XL.jpg

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

wcguy Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Nov 2009Sat 19-Nov-11 04:07 AM
#35. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 34
Sat 19-Nov-11 09:30 AM by briantilley

CA

Now as you can see the V1 does do a decent job. It's reasonably small, very fast, fun to use, easy to carry around without the big, big lenses and can take very decent photo's (with a decent photographer on the other end of course), and by the looks of those pics you are. Love the colors, very clear and vivid. Have fun and good luck with your new camera. WC

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007Sun 20-Nov-11 05:30 PM
#36. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 35

Bay Area, US

Thanks! Another one, as the sun comes out in my backyard.

http://www.tkphoto.me/Family/2011/i-TWFgtNw/0/XL/Garden-20111119-014-XL.jpg

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

bobtail Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Sep 2006Mon 21-Nov-11 09:30 AM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#37. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 36

Axminster, UK

Good contrast & rich colour with very nice Bokeh . Can you give some more details with your pics of ISO, lens used, aperture etc.
Many thanks for this informative thread.
Chris.

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007Tue 22-Nov-11 06:39 AM
#38. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 37

Bay Area, US

Thanks! I'm not home now so this is from memory, but these last 3 images were taken with the V1 and the 10mm lens wide open or close to it (f/2.8 or 3.5). Probably ISO 100 or close to it. The V1 with that pancake lens is a wonderfully compact system yet very sharp and I surely would never have expected bokeh like this.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004Tue 22-Nov-11 03:09 PM
#39. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 37

Chris,

From the metadata (Exif) embedded in the photos:

#31#1 NIKON 1 V1 f/4 1/60s ISO 800 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 VR @42.7mm
#31#2 NIKON 1 V1 f/4 1/60s ISO 800 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 VR @47.5mm
#31#3 NIKON 1 V1 f/4 1/60s ISO 800 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 VR @47.5mm

#34#1 NIKON 1 V1 f/3.5 1/200s ISO 100 @10mm
#34#2 NIKON 1 V1 f/2.8 1/320s ISO 100 @10mm

#36 NIKON 1 V1 f/2.8 1/250s ISO 100 @10mm

Bill

Visit me at My site

Garrett Hayes Gold Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2004Wed 23-Nov-11 05:16 PM
257 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#40. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 39
Thu 24-Nov-11 11:32 AM by Garrett Hayes

Lucan, Ireland, IE

Here are four pictures from the Nikon V1 with a 10-30mm lens.

Exif: 1/125, F5.6, ISO 125, 10mm

Exif: 1/160, F5.6, ISO 100, 30MM

EXif: 1/400, F4.8, ISO 100, 18.9MM

Exif: 1/250, F5, ISO 100, 21.9MM

I have corrected and updated this post with the correct Exif data after each picture

Captured in NEF and extracted with Capture NX and resized for this forum

GH

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)
Attachment #5, (jpg file)

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004Wed 23-Nov-11 05:55 PM
#41. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 40

Garrett,

FWIW, the 1st picture appears to be f/4.8 rather than f/5

Bill

Visit me at My site

Garrett Hayes Gold Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2004Wed 23-Nov-11 06:31 PM
257 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#42. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 41

Lucan, Ireland, IE

>Garrett,
>
>FWIW, the 1st picture appears to be f/4.8 rather
>than f/5
>
>
>Bill
>
Sorry about that. I am afraid that there was an error with my uploads and I have uploaded one picture twice. I will resolve this tomorrow.

GH

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004Wed 23-Nov-11 06:53 PM
#43. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 42

Not a problem, just a comment.
BTW, you can edit a post for a limited amount of time; if you want to correct the info.

Visit me at My site

rhulbert Gold Member Winner of the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded for his limitless enthusiasm and extraordinarily genial nature consistently in support of Nikonians Writer Ribbon awarded for his generous and valuable contributions to the Nikonians Articles (Resources) section. Charter MemberWed 23-Nov-11 06:54 PM
572 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#44. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 0

North Vancouver, CA

I paid a visit to my local camera store.
Well ... I couldn't resist trying out the V1 with the 30-110mm lens.
First I selected the "green" normal shooting mode.
I set it on Shutter Preferred and wanted a minimum of 1/2000 of a second.
Then I set the ISO to float up to 3200.
I set it on continuous shooting, trying both the mechanical shutter and electronic shutter.

Then I went for a walk around the block with the "rig."
Luckily it was a sunny afternoon here in the Vancouver area of BC, Canada.

This is not a camera to get if you expect to get big sensor quality. But if you want a camera that will "get the shot," this is a very cool solution. I could have improved the IQ of the the photos of the "urban wildlife" with my D3 and my 200mm f/2.0 or 500mm f/4. The thing to know here is that there is no way I would be going for a casual walk in the afternoon on a workday with that admittedly awesome setup.

There is no perfect camera and lens combination that does everything.
As good as my D series cameras and lenses are, they are big and heavy.
As good as my Fuji X100 is IQ wise, it auto focuses slowly.
As small as my NEX camera is, it does not autofocus (I use nikon lenses).
The downside of the V1 is noise, even at low ISOs, slow lenses and less than stellar bokeh, but the auto focus mechanism and buffer is "Killer."

And the best part was that not one person came up to me to ask if I was a professional or to comment on the size and girth of my equipment.

Rick Hulbert
Vancouver, Canada
http://www.rickhulbertphotography.com

Member, Nikonians Academy Faculty
http://www.nikoniansacademy.com/viewFacultyPage.html?page_id=8

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Thu 24-Nov-11 09:12 PM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#45. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, UK

As yet I have very little experience of the V1 - because the F mount adaptor has not been released
Sites I trust imply images are better than a P7100 - but not as good as a 12 MP DSLR.
As even full HD video uses less than 2.5 MP the VI might turn my 300 f2.8 VR into an 800mm f2.8 FX equivalent for wildlife video.
This possibility interests me big time

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Thu 24-Nov-11 11:13 PM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#46. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 45
Fri 25-Nov-11 12:45 AM by jpFoto

US

Len

Nothing is going to turn your 300mm lens into an 800 mm lens. All that you are going to do is crop your image. I would suggest that you read through some of the posts on this site regarding crop sensors. Think about it, you could put your 300mm lens on Ansel's 8x10 view camera and what would you have?

Regards,

jP

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Thu 24-Nov-11 11:39 PM
11754 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#47. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 46
Thu 24-Nov-11 11:46 PM by dm1dave

Lowden, US

I am 100% positive that Len fully understands cropped sensors and how focal length is mesured.

Len stated "800mm FX equivalent" the key word being equivalent - as in the recorded field of view will as narrow as an 800mm lens on an FX sensor.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Fri 25-Nov-11 01:08 AM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#50. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 47
Fri 25-Nov-11 01:22 AM by jpFoto

US

>I am 100% positive that Len fully understands cropped sensors and how focal length is measured.

Hmmm. I'm not so sure. Did you read his post?

Let me ask you. Do you think that a 16x20 print taken with an image from the Nikon 1 is going to look as good as a 16x20 print taken with an image from a D700 or D3 cropped to the same size?

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Fri 25-Nov-11 01:49 AM
#51. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 50
Fri 25-Nov-11 01:51 AM by agitater

Toronto, CA

>>I am 100% positive that Len fully understands cropped
>sensors and how focal length is measured.
>
>Hmmm. I'm not so sure. Did you read that post?
>
>Let me ask you. Do you think that a 16x20 print taken with
>his Nikon 1 is going to look as good as a 16x20 print taken
>with a D700 or D3 cropped to the same size?

It depends mostly on the photographer. Beyond a certain point, image size and image resolution are unimportant - framing, composition, exposure, lighting and subject are what count. Of course the physical performance, technical image quality and dynamic range offered by the D700 and D3 edge out the V1 in most respects (though, notably, not the absurdly fast V1 autofocus system - I think you have to experience it to believe it). Problem is, all the technical quality in the world does not make an interesting composition or an appealing photo on its own. When we all shot film, we certainly paid more attention to framing as well as composition. The point is that tight framing (which yields the benefit of little or no cropping in post) helps a photographer get the most out of a 10mp V1, which in turn makes producing 16"x20" prints real easy.

SHOOT TIGHTER!

Shoot tight - it makes the difference between the 10.1mp V1 and the 12.1mp D700 or D3 much less significant.

The V1 and its small lens family produce razor sharp photos (if that's what the photographer wants), decent bokeh, and offer enough versatility for a wide range of casual and serious photographers. This isn't about the V1 being better or worse (whatever that means) than a D700 or a D3 - I think that sort of discussion is pointless. The V1 has its place and a growing number of Nikonians seem to be enjoying the thing (me too FWIW). My V1/10-30 isn't going to replace my D700/24-120 f/4 VRII anytime soon. Nonetheless, I'm thinking seriously about carrying the V1 kit (along with my X100) to London and Copenhagen next week. I'm familiar enough with both cities (London is almost a second home) and I'm getting more and more familiar with the V1 kit, so I'm convinced I'll be able to get a great set of keepers out of the walkabout.

All of you - landscapes, street, portrait, architecture, whatever:

SHOOT TIGHTER!

Shooting tighter means less time in post. Shooting tighter means you're not spreading fewer pixels across the same area after a crop. Shooting tighter means retention of sharpness. Shooting tighter means preserving bokeh.

Shoot tighter and you'll find that 10.1mp will make gorgeous, amazingly large prints.

I'm still not giving up my D700 - not by half - but the V1 is a blast.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Fri 25-Nov-11 02:23 AM
11754 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#52. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 50

Lowden, US

Yes, I did read his post.

Please let's not hijack this thread with an argument about the ins and outs of the crop factor.

If you what to beat that dead horse please start a new thread.

Let us stay on topic in this thread.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Fri 25-Nov-11 02:46 AM
#53. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 52
Fri 25-Nov-11 03:32 AM by jpFoto

US

Hijack this thread? This is reply #53.

Please! You can't be serious!

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Fri 25-Nov-11 03:43 AM
#54. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 53

Lowden, US

Yes, I am serious!

53 posts and all were on topic until now.

If you feel the need to debate the merits of the crop factor please start another thread.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Fri 25-Nov-11 08:52 AM
#56. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 54
Fri 25-Nov-11 08:57 AM by jpFoto

US

YES SIR, MR.TEAM MEMBER, WHATEVER YOU SAY!

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Fri 25-Nov-11 10:10 AM
29365 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#57. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 56

Paignton, UK

>YES SIR, MR.TEAM MEMBER, WHATEVER YOU SAY!

That is uncalled for, JP.

Dave is quite correct that we should keep this thread on topic. Len clearly said "...800mm equivalent...", which is not the same thing as saying "my 300mm lens becomes an 800mm lens".

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

rhulbert Gold Member Winner of the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded for his limitless enthusiasm and extraordinarily genial nature consistently in support of Nikonians Writer Ribbon awarded for his generous and valuable contributions to the Nikonians Articles (Resources) section. Charter MemberThu 24-Nov-11 11:46 PM
572 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#48. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 46

North Vancouver, CA

I think I know what Len meant. I am going to try the same eventually. I appreciate it is effectively cropping, but it would be fun to see what happens. Going the other direction, I want to try the 10.5mm lens on the V1 as well ... I guess just for fun, but hey ... that whole new camera system is supposed to be about having fun.

In fact, I want to see what happens with the DOF and the Bokeh if a 28mm f/1.4 or an 85mm f/1.4 is used wide open. I know it won't be like on an SLR, but it could be interesting to see what happens with IQ.

Rick Hulbert
Vancouver, Canada
http://www.rickhulbertphotography.com

Member, Nikonians Academy Faculty
http://www.nikoniansacademy.com/viewFacultyPage.html?page_id=8

wcguy Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Nov 2009Fri 25-Nov-11 12:05 AM
#49. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 48

CA

Here are some wonderful pictures done with the V1. I think these will open some eyes. They are not mine (I wish) but are some of the best I have seen yet using the V1. Have a look ,its worthwhile if you are thinking about the N1 system. These make me glad that I didn't wait. Now if I can do half as good as this guy did. Click below. WC
http://www.pbase.com/hkrad/nikon_v1gallery

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007Fri 25-Nov-11 04:05 AM
#55. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 49

Bay Area, US

Very nice indeed! Especially the B+W images. Thanks for sharing the link. I have done a few B+W conversions myself and found that this camera lends itself very well to it. It looks like film. Not to mention that it also (almost) shoots like a film camera.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

Garrett Hayes Gold Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2004Fri 25-Nov-11 12:11 PM
#58. "RE: Nikon 1 IQ"
In response to Reply # 49

Lucan, Ireland, IE

These are excellent pictures and ones that anyone would be happy with. I am impressed by the colours and the range of all different types of shots.

I feel much happier now with my purchase of a V1.

GH

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #227 Previous topic | Next topic